Austria DMZ Galicia with Russia or no?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Austria DMZ Galicia with Russia or no?

Postby 0wl » 11 Feb 2020, 17:30

Hello all, I'm curious about others thoughts on Austria negotiating a DMZ in Galicia.

Personally, I feel it's a bad idea and if Austria wants to ally with Russia they should ask for a bounce. I feel that saying you'll leave Galicia empty is announcing yourself as an easy target. When I play as Russia if I have a good relationship with both Austria and Turkey diplomatically I attack Austria if told Galicia will be empty.

However I've met some very skilled Austria players who have said a DMZ is good. I'm curious about others thoughts on this. Is it better to negotiate a DMZ and send Vienna to Budapest? Or should one ask for a bounce?
0wl

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1852
All-game rating: 1882
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Austria DMZ Galicia with Russia or no?

Postby Pope Pius IX » 11 Feb 2020, 18:37

I change my mind on this with regularity, especially as my name is almost always drawn out with "Austria".

My current impression, formed by a game played very recently FtF, is that it can provide a valuable indicator. If you do get a DMZ, and Russia violates it in 1901, they've marked their cards. You're still guaranteed a build in the Balkans even if you cover both centres, and whilst I'll not deny it puts you as Austria in an awkward position, it does give you a powerful argument for getting Turkey, Germany and England to weigh in against Russia, using the "can't trust them an inch" card.

I doubt this is the last word on the subject, or even the best one, but in the game I mentioned, knowing Russia's total lack of scruples guaranteed their elimination.

Aside from to threaten Austria, the reason most Russias move to Galicia is surely to move on Romania. Given that they can achieve the same outcome, in the same number of turns, by moving to Ukraine instead, I think a DMZ is useful even if immediately violated - it gives a good indication of Russian intentions.
Silver Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1219
All-game rating: 1221
Timezone: GMT

Postby UM85 » 13 Feb 2020, 02:25

Austria is very difficult to play, especially the opening year. And I have the scars to prove it. Finding an ally in either Italy or Russia (both is best of all :) ) is vital. A Russian army in Galicia after Spring, 1901 is a major problem for Austria. It can be overcome but it is going to set you back as far as time is concerned as you deal with the problem. If Italy is working with Russia, the problem could have elevated itself to the critical status. Turkey may then smell blood in the water and want to get a share of the pie. Unless I am 100% convinced of an alliance (or I plan to go all out on first turn and if it works great, if not, well it was fun while it lasted), I generally play it conservative in Galicia and Venice, looking for bounces.
UM85

Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby David E. Cohen » 13 Feb 2020, 14:09

A question without a definitive answer, since it is entirely dependent on the in-game situation.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby 0wl » 13 Feb 2020, 16:23

Personally I think asking Russia for a bounce is the best idea. I think asking for a bounce with Italy is a very bad idea however. If you're fleet doesn't move to Albania you can't get a second build which makes you look like an easy target.

I think if you're an Austrian player it's critical to have good diplomacy with Italy and to trust them early game at least. I think it's critical to get at least 2 builds to show you're a strong player and won't be an easy target.

Bouncing with Italy also let's Turkey into Greece and now Turkey is a stronger ally to work with. Turkey has strong defense and if on top of that they get Greece Russia might feel attacking Austria then offers faster expansion.
0wl

Standard rating: 1852
All-game rating: 1882

Return to Diplomacy Strategy