Life After Death AAR (town victory)

Moderators: bkbkbk, Zoomzip, Telleo, sjg11, condude1

Re: Life After Death AAR (town victory)

Postby kimpossible » 10 Jun 2019, 16:08

I'm also going to point out that there's some missing context here from that Men-At-Arms mislynch on Telleo. Yes, there was an element of "Well, it could be." However, we had also decided that we couldn't risk a lynch on UDC that day for mechanics reasons that I don't fully recall and don't want to reread that thread to refresh myself on.

The point is, we had solid townreads on me, Asu, and Zoomzip, and a mechanical reason to not lynch Chuck. So it wasn't so much "Maybe it's Telleo, fuck it YOLO" as "Our POE is exactly Keir vs Telleo because Chuck is off the table and Telleo seems more possible than Keir."
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Traumatized by online full-comms, now playing in a gunboats league

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 10 Jun 2019, 17:21

So anyway. Thoughts on this game: I honestly didn't think the game would end up being as townsided as it actually turned out to be. I figured "The dead are clear town but still just as likely to be wrong." But each townie having even a single known-town voice to bounce thoughts off of ended up working pretty hard against the scum, since they didn't know all the arguments being tossed around and scumtraps being plotted, and they were less able to sow mistrust than in a standard game where they are less diluted.

Fury choosing ZZ as her medium probably also didn't do scum any favors. She was the least active player, both before and after death. Had a more communicative player who was townreading ZZ been killed D1/N1, scum would have had more insight into what the dead were thinking.

The decision to allow scum to no-kill was kind of made in the moment because I hadn't specifically made a rule against it and I had said "no hidden rules," so while it had not been spelled out, it made sense and I thought it wouldn't negatively impact balance. If anything, I could see because I was inside all the comms that the game was about to pretty well snowball. Not that it was an attempt to put a finger on the scales, but I felt that it was the fairest call for something I hadn't specifically spelled out in advance.

The reason I squashed the discussion of Shadow's medium-choice PM was that if it was revealed that I had pinged her a reminder a few hours before deadline, that would be pretty clearing, because why would I remind scum? In retrospect I should have sent a mass BCC message to everyone to remind them, and I'll remember in future games to try to make sure all players have all information about meta events.

Finally, I have no idea whether Zoomzip will put in an appearance in this AAR, but he is taking a break from Mafia, maybe permanently, I don't know. This was really rough on him and us, and he's realized that he may not be able to take the risk on his mental health of possibly randing scum (which would be even worse if we were on opposite teams rather than me GMing). I wish the final day could have been more of a fight, but he just couldn't do it anymore at that point and with no backup players ready to go, I decided to just let things run their course rather than have the disruption of a scum sub at LYLO.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Traumatized by online full-comms, now playing in a gunboats league

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Fatmo » 10 Jun 2019, 23:16

I more viewed what happened is that the remaining town players including the dead ones simply came to their own conclusions and all started townreading and scumreading mostly the right people by around the start of D3. Both UFO and Sjg chose correctly when killed. And we all pretty much realized we had similar reads. Nook’s holistic thing came off to me more as just him saying how he felt. It felt both genuine (for Nook) and was one of the puzzle pieces that all the townies were putting together one way or another. Even nook said he was probably influenced on my townread by UFO. Joe was pretty much starting to town-lean Nook by POE. And like all of town townread shadow. Shadow townread Nook and me by the end of D3 for her reasons. The dead also had their own things they were pointing out that made it to thread and stuff they talked about on their own. And most mediums probably had at least some talks with spirits that didn’t make it explicitly to thread. But those talks still influenced our opinions. Town just collectively realized things through POE and alive townies bouncing ideas around with dead ones. On the several planes of existence we were working in/through.

@Fury: If I was around at EOD D1, I might have taken my vote off you and moved it based on your posts I didn’t have a chance to react to. Those looked more likely to be townie. As in, when I read through the end of D1, I read from the last place I’d posted and I was thinking you looked more townie before I knew the lynch or the flip.

This game might have been very different if the start of D2 didn’t have ZZ as Fury’s medium and me as Joe’s. Once I became a medium it changed my mindset and approach a bit. And I knew I had a chance here to get a better read on ZZ one way or the other.

@ZZ: Sorry that wasn’t fun for you. Your one medium post with flavor was actually pretty fun. And you made one or two funny poems mostly about nook that got a chuckle out of me. Sorry if I made it less fun for you with how focused I became on you. You just got me very suspicious of you because I didn’t get your points on me at all on D1. You did react very well at some point later in the day to get me to switch my vote, even though you kept taking that weird stance on me and I still thought it was off. Then D2 reinforced my scummy feels on ya. Nothing personal! :)

I hope you don’t stop playing, but I understand burnout with these types of games. Lol it’s the same reason I tried getting into Mafia recently. I burned out on online Dip for a while and this seemed new and interesting enough to fill the void for this type of game.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Keirador » 11 Jun 2019, 05:52

Telleo wrote: "Telleo's good at scum, lets just lynch them." FYI, a terrible reason to lynch me, and I'm a bit bitter about it, cause it's gotten me killed as town too.

Indeed, it eventually makes it unviable to play. ;)
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby shadowface » 11 Jun 2019, 19:05

Keirador wrote:
Telleo wrote: "Telleo's good at scum, lets just lynch them." FYI, a terrible reason to lynch me, and I'm a bit bitter about it, cause it's gotten me killed as town too.

Indeed, it eventually makes it unviable to play. ;)

Oh yes it must be terrible to be so incredibly good at mafia that you can't even make it through a game. You have my condolences :roll:

Seriously you two, do you expect sympathy here? Most of playdip is pretty damn good at the game. Anyone expect probably fatmo (who is new) had the reputation to be scum in f5 of this game. That wasn't why we won, we won because town played well and solved the game.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby sjg11 » 11 Jun 2019, 19:18

I also hope ZZ is ok. Mafia is not worth driving yourself crazy over. Although feel free to just hang around on the social thread so I can mock you if Arsenal overtake Spurs again. This process may take a few years.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Fatmo » 15 Jun 2019, 00:34

Lol I think subconsciously every time I refresh playdip I’m still expecting to see a PM pop up from joe about his latest suspicions :)
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Previous

Return to AARs