Do I count as a beginner?

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Do I count as a beginner?

Postby Aurelia1 » 14 Jul 2018, 21:46

Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong place. Oops.
Hi! I’m Aurelia1, and found Diplomacy because of a summer camp I did, which I absolutely loved. I did it again this year and was disappointed I’m too old to do it again, so you can imagine how happy I was to find this website. I looked around, and saw stuff about beginners doing special stuff like mentor games and all that. I’m definitely not a master, but I’m not sure if I’m a beginner or not. I’ve played nine games before (although I don’t count the first four, that year I was really young and had no clue what I was doing. At the end of the day if the game isn’t finished, sometimes the teacher declares the winner as the person with the most centers, even if not 18. I “won” once two years ago (for some reason, my partner and I were declared the “winners” because of our comeback from zero centers to five). I won twice this week, but the games were easy: For one, the teacher had created “World War II Diplomacy” using our board and I was the Axis Powers (Germany’s color XD) against the Eastern Allies (Turkey’s color) and Western Allies (France’s color). The kid playing Turkey wasn’t good at the game, and seeing he was doomed, the eastern Allies went in civil disorder less than halfway through the game, leaving it for me to take and only one opponent left. For the other one, there were still only three people, and my opponents were tired. Another reason I think I might be a beginner is because while I was tryig to finish that game, another one started and I was simultaneously finishing a game and starting another. I gave my partner terrible advice, we never recovered, and our country Italy was the second to die.

I know all of that was long, so thank you and please tell me what should I do?
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 959
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Do I count as a beginner?

Postby asudevil » 14 Jul 2018, 22:03

The beginners games are really just for people who don't know what to do. You don't have to play it. If you WANT to...you are welcome to try and get into one...but I'd just go join a game and have some fun
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1381
All-game rating: 1531
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Josey Wales » 15 Jul 2018, 00:40

Absolutely agree with ASUDEVIL, just join a game and have fun. You can even start a non-ranked game and state in the Description new-ish players only please. However, I have found that your results will vary on diligence in answering messages, not missing orders and simply surrendering, but that is what non-ranked games are for.

Look for a ranked game with players that have been around for a bit if you can and ask to join - if it is password protected.

In fact, come join a Hell Bent for Leather Ranked Solo-Only series game. Filled with all n00b's, everyone clamoring for a 6-way draw and generally no one wants to stab anyone - an excellent place to learn the game. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Josey Wales on 15 Jul 2018, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1111
All-game rating: 1121
Timezone: GMT

Postby Groo » 15 Jul 2018, 11:47

From my experience mentor game really helped because WHS who was my mentor sent a ton of valuable info (reading material) on strategies, tactics etc. every week. It's also nice to get to know the game interface and so on - however mentor games are not necessary and you'll probably wait at least for a month to get in one.

If you feel like playing NOW - just go join a (non-ranked?) game. You can always subscribe to a mentor game AND join a non-ranked game at the same time.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1575
All-game rating: 1664

Postby Malachite » 15 Jul 2018, 12:19

I think the lectures by WHS that Groo mentioned can be found here also: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=44967

That's a lot of reading, but if you've played nine games already you can probably skim through the first lectures. I haven't played a mentor game and I've survived, but reading the lectures definitely helped, so if you have the time you can probably find something that catches your interest.
Malachite

Standard rating: 1357
All-game rating: 1377
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Groo » 15 Jul 2018, 12:40

Malachite wrote:I think the lectures by WHS that Groo mentioned can be found here also: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=44967

That's a lot of reading, but if you've played nine games already you can probably skim through the first lectures. I haven't played a mentor game and I've survived, but reading the lectures definitely helped, so if you have the time you can probably find something that catches your interest.

Great stuff, I didn't know it's on the forum as well. Thanks.

EDIT:
as a matter of fact, WHS already answered your question in that topic! :D
WHSeward wrote:
  • Should I play a Mentor Game?
Plenty of people learn Diplomacy just by playing. You don't NEED a mentor game to learn.

In the mentor game, you will have an experienced player to ask questions of and get advice. I think that can help shorten the learning curve. In my games, I also have a series of short "lectures" that I publish on various topics to help new players. I also link to hobby resources - there is so much out there, I try to point to some of the more useful stuff when you are getting started.

You will get the most value out of the mentor game if you communicate often with the mentor and ask questions or just chat about the game.

But I don't think anything in a mentor game is irreplaceable. You can figure it all out for yourself too. If you do jump straight into a game, I'd recommend starting with a "no rank" game to learn the ropes. Once you have one game under your belt (or even just a few seasons) you'll probably be ready to try a rank game.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1575
All-game rating: 1664

Postby Aurelia1 » 15 Jul 2018, 17:52

Thank you everyone! I guess I’ll start a non -ranked game while waiting for a mentor game, just so I can learn strategies and stuff.
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 959
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to PlayDip Academy