Message Inbox thoughts

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Message Inbox thoughts

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Jul 2018, 09:25

The new changes are live to make the game playing a little more mobile friendly. However it threw up a problem and I am interested in the thoughts of others.

When you go to the Inbox (or the Outbox) you get a list of messages, titles, when sent etc..
Specifically, the date piece currently lists
Date, time (GMT), game date/season/phase

This is a lot of data when you are on a phone.

I can think of a number of ways to make this better (in terms of display width)
- Put the game date etc info on the next line under the real date/time
- Hide some part of the info and only show it on hover / click or something

If we did the first, we still have quite a lot but it would be less. I do wonder if we need the whole date/time info though!
If we do the second, what is the key info you think you would want to see without needing to hover / click? My guess is the game time info is the important bit? Or do players prefer to see the real time?

Thoughts?
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Message Inbox thoughts

Postby joe92 » 12 Jul 2018, 10:52

For me, I look at the date and times every time I look at the message list. It's an important part of the Diplomacy to me. If I see a pattern emerge whereby I receive the first message of the day from player X at roughly 6pm, then all of a sudden that regularity drops and they come in sporadically between 8pm and 10pm then I determine either a real life event is causing a distraction and I need to find out whether that's true, or that player is making a negotiation against me and doesn't have the stones to lie through their teeth to me. I really wouldn't want to have to click to show the date and time each time I looked at the message list as I'd struggle to see those patterns any more.

That said I think there is too much information in that date and time. It really only needs to be the hh:mm mm dd tz, "18:06 Jul 03 (GMT)". The year it was sent isn't needed as these games never last more than a year. And to be honest neither is the phase. That's included in the message chain itself and I never pay attention to it on the message list.

If you were to reduce the date/time to the format above, then placing it below the message title prefixed with a dash would look fine to me and would suitably make it much easier to display on phones. E.g.

Re: Greetings England
- 18:06 Jul 03 (GMT)

- 18:25 Jul 02 (GMT)

- 18:14 Jun 30 (GMT)

Or even make the date nicer using st, nd and th. E.g.

- 18:06 Jul 3rd (GMT)

- 18:25 Jul 2nd (GMT)

- 18:14 Jun 30th (GMT)

My two cents on the matter. I'm sure someone else may disagree.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Emergence

Platinum Classicist

None
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1097
All-game rating: 1694

Postby Jack007 » 12 Jul 2018, 11:10

I'd like to see both, the real time/date AND the game's turn data.

The real time stamp is VERY important. I cannot renounce this data. And the turn is important, too. I don't think neither the line is too crowded. I like to see it at one glance. Don't want to hover or something to see it.

Why not just let it like it is? And yes, I exclusively use my phone for Diplomacy.
Jack007 (2/4 stars) banned unbanned for not shuting up

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises
Mentor of the Champions (or was it the inverse?)

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The Book of the Samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 1569
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby The SHIV » 12 Jul 2018, 15:14

And I LOVE the new colored buttons!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1130
All-game rating: 1142
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Jul 2018, 16:16

I think Joe is onto something there :D Great idea! I had been assuming that I would be splitting the current date/time info onto a separate line, but even then it is crwoded. But the idea of putting the date time info (unobtrusively of course!) under the message title is brilliant! We like to leave quite a space for the title since that is the main clue to what it is about, and using the line beneath that gives all the info and avoids needing the date/time column at all!

I am going to rush of and get my coding pad and a freshly sharpened pencil
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby boldblade » 12 Jul 2018, 16:53

I like the new inbox and I quite like Joe's idea as well!

However, I did want to draw attention to another issue with the messaging that has been a growing concern to me over the past 24 hours. Message content. I think we need more strict guidelines/rules on what can go into them. Not only that but I think we need a bunch of new moderators, clones of Nanook perhaps, to read through everything and really censor out the stuff that goes over the line.
boldblade
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1488

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Jul 2018, 16:55

boldblade wrote:However, I did want to draw attention to another issue with the messaging that has been a growing concern to me over the past 24 hours. Message content. I think we need more strict guidelines/rules on what can go into them. Not only that but I think we need a bunch of new moderators, clones of Nanook perhaps, to read through everything and really censor out the stuff that goes over the line.

boldblade, that is a completely different topic. If you want to raise that as a suggestion, please open another thread.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kimpossible » 12 Jul 2018, 18:30

super_dipsy wrote:
boldblade wrote:However, I did want to draw attention to another issue with the messaging that has been a growing concern to me over the past 24 hours. Message content. I think we need more strict guidelines/rules on what can go into them. Not only that but I think we need a bunch of new moderators, clones of Nanook perhaps, to read through everything and really censor out the stuff that goes over the line.

boldblade, that is a completely different topic. If you want to raise that as a suggestion, please open another thread.

Oh man, I love the sound sarcasm makes when it goes whooshing by. ;)
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1002

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 12 Jul 2018, 21:33

Unlike Joe, I pay more attention to the game date I receive a message than the RL date. I think that was a very good addition, and I’d be sad to see it go.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407

Postby Charleroi » 12 Jul 2018, 21:44

While we're rearranging the inbox, could we have a display option for a general inbox with messages from all participants sorted by date and time? It can be very confusing when you're organizing alliances and have to flip through several folders to figure out which message in a multi-nation alliance came in first, second, third etc.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1576
All-game rating: 1635
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Suggestions