1812 Eskimoture: Game over and AARs

A multi-continent game in which each player plays two countries in their attempt to win on a map centered on Europe and the North Atlantic set in 1812. Created by Nopunin10did, GMed by NanookTheEskimo

Moderator: Morg

1812 Eskimoture: Game over and AARs

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 15 Jun 2018, 05:20

The game has ended, in a four way draw between Rusnee, British Empire, French Empire, and USA. Congratulations to the drawers.

Final map:

Final SC count:
USA: 12 NA, 0 EU
Chaustria: 1 NA, 0 EU
New Denmark: 3 NA, 0 EU
Rusnee: 0 NA, 9 EU
British Empire: 6 NA, 5 EU
French Empire: 0 NA, 9 EU

In the GMs official opinion, you pansies called this too early and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Leave your stories below!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1812 Eskimoture: Game over and AARs

Postby Aeschines » 15 Jun 2018, 05:43

In America's official opinion, we called this too early and are ashamed of ourselves.

I'm sure the draw was a ploy to split up me and Canada but it had the opposite effect. Any effective stab of the other would have had to have been a surprise which, if we were the only person to reject the draw, would have rendered that not much of a surprise.

I'm going to go grumble in the corner and write a real AAR later.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1551

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 15 Jun 2018, 05:44

Aeschines wrote:In America's official opinion, we called this too early and are ashamed of ourselves.

I'm sure the draw was a ploy to split up me and Canada but it had the opposite effect. Any effective stab of the other would have had to have been a surprise which, if we were the only person to reject the draw, would have rendered that not much of a surprise.

Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Jun 2018, 05:57

Aeschines wrote:In America's official opinion, we called this too early and are ashamed of ourselves.

Yes, this draw proposal was tactical, and it was made far earlier than it honestly needed to be. I’m just shocked you both voted for it.

If you & Canada really were in it for the long haul, the three of us might have cut it to a three-way, knocking out France, but I didn’t see much value in that as compared to the four-way.

This was not going to end in a US / Britain double win. My position was too well-defended, while your mutual borders were full of holes. Assuming that I’d be the one to break in this scenario was wishful thinking, though I was also not in particularly good position to do more than force my way into a draw.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1358

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Jun 2018, 06:07

Also, poor Jegpeg ended up reenacting the trail of tears. The Cherokee were left with a sole center in the Oklahoma/Arkansas region.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1358

Postby Strategus » 15 Jun 2018, 07:15

Personally, I find this map frustrating. Not enough probability of interaction between continents. So this result seemed inevitable, or a solo.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1659
All-game rating: 1721
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jegpeg » 15 Jun 2018, 13:51

I also agree the draw was made too early, I deliberately sent my agreement by PM in the hope that if anyone who was contending didn't want a draw they would claim they were in favor and I must have blocked it. Agreed with their allay to eliminate me and New Denway then vote again but instead they stab.

I think I will tweak my draw rules in future in that while I will accept posts both via PM and on the forum the PM will take preference. If someone wants ot look as if they are accepting the draw but are not they can post on the forums in favour and send a PM to vote against.

GPD wrote:Personally, I find this map frustrating. Not enough probability of interaction between continents. So this result seemed inevitable, or a solo.

Agree there is not enough interaction between the continents though I can see a double victory happening is if a power in Europe and a power in NA arise at the same time and they race to solo emerges that ends up as a tie.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby Aeschines » 16 Jun 2018, 22:27

AAR:

Early Game
The Early Game was a strange beast. I basically didn't communicate with France & was totally oblivious to the politicking happening in Europe. The result of that was that I basically said "screw it" and stabbed for my own benefit early and often in America. The worked really well, JegPeg and I did a number on NoPun, and then I was able to seize the initiative against JegPeg. It started to fall apart, however, when against-their-best-interests in North America, Shawnee and Cherokee allied because of European concerns. That left me facing a united front but, with the early stabs taking a toll on them, meant I would win eventually - so long as things with Canada stayed copacetic.

I want to offer apologies to both NoPun and to JegPeg. NoPun, I know I've stabbed you right out of the gate 2/2 times, but it's not personal. I think you're a good diplomat and it's just been the situation that pushed me towards doing it (ie. a willing ally against you). JegPeg, I have to throw you a triple apology, actually. You were honest and truthful. My stab against you was pure opportunism. You didn't deserve that (and the whole "Trail of Tears" thing actually makes me quite sad as a student of history :-( ).

Canadian Troubles
Early on, Canada and I had come to a solid arrangement. We were going to push for a two-way win. We'd had a good recent game (that also ended unsatisfactorily) and had built up a relationship of trust. I was ready to stab, but a relationship with Canada was a great early asset for the US and I knew I could trust Wobbly up to a point (primarily, I knew he could trust me and since it's a two way street...). In all honesty, I would have taken the solo if it had reared it's head (especially after what I'm about to describe) but I never really had the chance.

The pivotal moment of my game came when Wobbly stabbed me and stole Maine. As far as stabs go, it was fairly minor. I had had a good year otherwise against Shawnee and Cherokee and so still netted a build. Based on that, and a demonstrable commitment to our alliance, I decided it was better to try to salvage the double win than to join the all against the leader alliance, if I could get Canada back on board. I want to throw a quick kudos to JegPeg for organizing an excellent AGLA, it would have worked except that LBS was completely absent from the game (from my perspective) and so I couldn't take the risk of throwing in with you all without at least giving Canada a chance to come back with hat-in-hands.

That turn, I probably sent more messages than I did any other turn of the game. I cajoled, promised, and threatened Wobbly until he agreed to take me back and I schemed and planned with the AGLA organized by JegPeg. What I think made the difference was when Wobbly was able to sell me that he had rejoined the double-win train and I began to feed him information regarding the AGLA. I'd love to hear his thoughts, but in my opinion that was when I sold him that I was serious about continuing to work with him.

The big moment came when the orders processed. I knew I was taking a risk working with someone who had stabbed me once already and so I had decided - if Wobbly had continued his northern-state invasion, I was going to go full "Stop Canada." I would feed my SCs to JegPeg (ideally not the absent-LBS) and move every unit I had to stop the solo. I wasn't sure if it would be enough and it would certainly have gotten me eliminated, but it seemed like the only honest course. To my great joy & happiness, Wobbly did not go for the second stab. He was true to his word and the advantage of working within the AGLA let me make serious gains against Shawnee and Cherokee, from which they couldn't recover.

Mid/End Game
I would say the game was just getting into the late midgame when NoPun proposed a four way draw. Wobbly and I had discussed how a double win, in the face of a resurgent Russia, was unlikely. We had agreed that a three-way draw with either France or Russia as the third teammate was the way to go. However, when the draw game it suddenly had momentum. I held out for a while, exchanging three or four messages with Wobbly before taking a shot of whiskey (Kentucky whiskey, mind you!) and typing "accept."

Ultimately, my reasoning was this: the draw was stupid and premature. Yet, to reject the draw while my partner-in-crime was for it (largely for personal/family reasons it seemed) would put a huge target on my back and potentially alienate Canada. In a year, with Shawnee and Cherokee eliminated, I could have turned on Canada and potentially fought for the solo (if he had continued to be in favor of the 4-way draw) but when it was proposed, I just didn't quite have the tactical positioning. And, most importantly, the map design had already forced me to reckon with the idea of a 3-way draw. The double win just wasn't plausible and there wasn't anything I could do to aid Canada/Britain against Russia. So my choices were: 4-way draw, hold out and maybe push for a solo, or suck my thumb and throw Wobbly the solo. Out of those, with the solo seeming just a turn out of reach, I went for the four way draw.

Map Design
I actually quite liked the map design and the idea of multiple continents. I'm not convinced, however, that having the USA & French restricted to one continent makes a ton of sense gameplay-wise (though certainly it does historically, and I know NoPun <3's his historicity). By the end of the game, with Shawnee and Cherokee dead and Denmark (the other half of New Spain) eliminated, I had no one to work with that could impact Europe except Wobbly with Britain/Canada. It lead to feelings of helplessness that I don't normally associate with maximum fun diplomacy. I like to be able to get involved and insert myself into conversations at all stages of the game.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to balance that and I don't have a proposal for a map/rules correction, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

**I lied, maybe a permanent neutral power (like in Dissolution?) would have given me something do to in Europe that would have made me feel useful, even if it ultimately hadn't made an impact.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1551

Postby Strategus » 17 Jun 2018, 09:50

In my opinion, the draw was not premature. The way I saw it, if I sided with Russia, the USA would solo. If I sided with Britain, Then Britain would solo. There was no way I was going to solo without gifting the game to USA first. So I had to accept.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1659
All-game rating: 1721

Return to 1812 Eskimoture [Game 3]