Toggle Order Arrows

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Re: Toggle Order Arrows

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Jun 2018, 20:18

edmgrim wrote:I also use the toggle regularly. Don’t particulRly care for the “in-flight” idea. I like to do my orders and then toggle for confirmation. I think “in-flight” might be distracting.

What if instead of a button, it was a checkbox, and either the game (or your browser's cookies) remembered whether you had that box checked or not?

If it's checked, the "in-flight" orders would populate as orders are added. If it's not checked, the orders wouldn't show at all.

That would allow you to interact with it in a sort of "confirmation" approach.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1273
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NJLonghorn » 13 Jun 2018, 21:12

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
edmgrim wrote:I also use the toggle regularly. Don’t particulRly care for the “in-flight” idea. I like to do my orders and then toggle for confirmation. I think “in-flight” might be distracting.

What if instead of a button, it was a checkbox, and either the game (or your browser's cookies) remembered whether you had that box checked or not?

If it's checked, the "in-flight" orders would populate as orders are added. If it's not checked, the orders wouldn't show at all.

That would allow you to interact with it in a sort of "confirmation" approach.

Love it! If I could click the "arrows" option once each turn and it would remain active as I entered more orders, that would be a big improvement. Someone who only wants to see the arrows at the end could click the check box at the end.

Making that a preference or saving it in the browser would be a nice bonus, but not at all important.
Classicists, Silver Gold Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1200
All-game rating: 1405
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 14 Jun 2018, 22:39

I'd prefer it remaining as it is.
Jack007 (2/4 stars) banned unbanned for not shuting up

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises
Mentor of the Champions (or was it the inverse?)

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The Book of the Samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1231
All-game rating: 1573
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Jun 2018, 06:37

I was a bit surprised that someone said Retreats don't work, because I knew the code was there. Turns out it only worked once you had refreshed the page. So if you enter a Retreat order and then toggle you see nothing. If you then refresh the page and try, you can see the arrow. Silly bug.

What I have done for Destroys, Builds and Disbands is a bit primitive but I hope will be OK. For Destroys/Disbands, I just put a big Red X over the unit. We don't have a country that is solid red, I am hoping it shows up OK for England and Austria. If not, we can do it some other colour (perhaps Black although I don't think that would look right).

For builds, it is even more primitive :oops: but I have put in a big white (shows up everywhere) F or A to indicate whether a Fleet or Army is buit there.

I plan to put this up soon - I just have to be careful not to drag the mobile stuff back in with it! Actually having said that, I think the only one in the affected code is the map highlight on click thing, which I can't see anyone being particularly upset about anyway, so I might leave that there :)

If people hate the primitive nature, we can try to do something else. But see how it goes.

Finally, looking at some of the feedback here and thinking about it, I think at this stage we should leave toggling to be something that still turns off when you change an order, meaning you have to click again to check. Some people clearly are not comfortable with arrrows and things altering while you are clicking your orders, which I get, and people who do want to see the changes can always click the toggle after every order is clicked in. That's the way I read it currently anyway :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Suggestions