POLL: What device do you use for Playdip?

Official announcements from the creators

What device do you use for Playdip?

I use desktop/laptop/tablet almost exclusively
39%
I sometimes like to use my phone when I am in a game
25%
I would like to use my phone much more but the site is just not suitable
19%
I primarily use my phone (at least for playing games)
12%
I use my phone exclusively (even to join games, create games etc)
5%

Total votes : 189

Re: POLL: What device do you use for Playdip?

Postby rd45 » 14 Jun 2018, 07:50

UFO Fever wrote:The only time I use a desktop is when browsing the forum. I get by using my phone for actual game purposes.

And I’m replying via Tapatalk on my phone - thanks to which, the forum is the only part of the site that I find easy to use on mobile.
rd45

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1328
All-game rating: 1354
Timezone: GMT

Postby Greelzebub » 14 Jun 2018, 08:29

Guys we need to be able to use phones

Tablet along with Desktop is the wrong pairing. iPads are more similar to iPhones than a PC

I have a laptop/desktop for 1/3 of the day. The other 2/3 I have my phone
Greelzebub

Postby UFO Fever » 14 Jun 2018, 08:47

rd45 wrote:
UFO Fever wrote:The only time I use a desktop is when browsing the forum. I get by using my phone for actual game purposes.

And I’m replying via Tapatalk on my phone - thanks to which, the forum is the only part of the site that I find easy to use on mobile.

Is it a little more difficult to play a game on my phone than the computer? Sure. But the only real "problems" I face are fat thumbing when I try to click on Liverpool, Yorkshire, and Belgium. Everything else works fine enough and I can manage by zooming in and out. As for the forum, small posts like this are fine, but it's impossible to post pictures/gifs or quote a few posts and to delete a large segment of a post. For the record, I've been on my phone the whole time on this forum.
Formerly Napoleon Hitler.
Punch the Nazis.
UFO Fever

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1195
All-game rating: 1196
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 14 Jun 2018, 14:40

rd45 wrote:

There’s a separate forum upgrade in the works (luckily phpbb has made their newer software and CSS more mobile-friendly).
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1273

Postby GhostEcho » 14 Jun 2018, 15:24

Greelzebub wrote:Guys we need to be able to use phones

Tablet along with Desktop is the wrong pairing. iPads are more similar to iPhones than a PC

I have a laptop/desktop for 1/3 of the day. The other 2/3 I have my phone

Tablet interface is more like a phone, but the screen's significantly bigger most of the time. Screen area seems like the main factor in whether the site design's easy to use right now.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Standard rating: (1013)
All-game rating: (981)

Postby The SHIV » 14 Jun 2018, 15:36

Tablet exclusively.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1134
All-game rating: 1165

Postby kwc » 14 Jun 2018, 19:50

All of the above... I use phones when necessary.

Network connectivity is a bigger issue than screen size. The current interface is great when it works, but horrible on iffy networks (especially with small screens).

It would be nice if there was an alternative format for inputing moves when the current interface isn't ideal. I'm thinking of something like the order solver.

Gmail has a nice interface for good conditions, and something else for lame networks. I think we need something else (like almost an offline mode) when the network isn't working. I'd be fine with a submit button (like we have for sending msgs). Ideally, there would be a way to save moves locally and upload them when network connectivity is better.

The current interface can lose clicks when networks are bad. That makes it hard to know what got through and what didn't, especially on a small screen where the text confirmation at the bottom is off the screen. An alternative interface for iffy networks would be nice. This interface shouldn't require as many round trips to the server.

In any case, more local feedback would help. The worst case is when I do a support to hold. Could the menu have two support options, one for support to move and another for support to hold. The problem with the current solution is when I do the support to hold, I sometimes double click too quickly and then I don't know if the second click succeeded or not. If I didn't need to double click, there would be less ambiguity. Clicks are more likely to be lost on iffy networks.
kwc
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1308
All-game rating: 1320

Postby Musculus IV » 14 Jun 2018, 22:14

I mostly use my phone. Imo it's completly fine for issuing orders and so on. Just sending messages and the message box in general is an absolute pain on mobile devices and typing is more pleasant on a laptop/PC anyway.
Musculus IV
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 954
All-game rating: 956
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Jack007 » 14 Jun 2018, 23:03

I see myself once more as a member of the absolute minority (6%). I use only my smartphone nowadays. I am traveling a lot, so I have to, but no problem. I have no pain to do every thing on the handy. Except maybe with the word wrap in edit boxes when zoomed in, but that might be a general problem on the web. So I use an external editor and paste it into the box. Works like a charm. Btw, zooming is so easy: double tap on the screen where you want to look closer and woosh the point of interest is centered and well readable and word wrapping. Double tap again and it zooms out to the full view. For special looks you may always use the usual two finger method additionally. (Opera for Android)
8-)
Jack007 (2/4 stars) banned unbanned for not shuting up

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises
Mentor of the Champions (or was it the inverse?)

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The Book of the Samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1231
All-game rating: 1573
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Locutus » 14 Jun 2018, 23:42

nm
Locutus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 921
All-game rating: 963
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Announcements