Mobile user improvements (2018)

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Re: Mobile user improvements (2018)

Postby Jack007 » 17 May 2018, 08:15

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
Jack007 wrote:Btw: slowly I begin to realize how much pain users do encounter due to using other browsers.

Yeah, both messaging and map interaction are pretty awful on an iPhone, IMO, particularly since alternative browsers like Opera and Firefox are still running Safari under the hood. The site just wasn’t built with small touchscreens in mind.

Yes, I understand. So multi-platform usability is the way to go, not app building. CSS might accomplish that, instead of PHP, though maybe not trivial to program. I think you said that already, if I remember well.
Jack007 (2/4 stars) banned unbanned for not shuting up

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises
Mentor of the Champions (or was it the inverse?)

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The Book of the Samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 1569
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 17 May 2018, 18:41

Jack007 wrote:Yes, I understand. So multi-platform usability is the way to go, not app building. CSS might accomplish that, instead of PHP, though maybe not trivial to program. I think you said that already, if I remember well.

Roughly, though I think you might be misunderstanding what CSS and PHP are. Without getting into too much detail, PHP is typically code on the server side. CSS is just a "cascading style sheet", or rather, it's a template definition of how an HTML webpage is supposed to look.

CSS and HTML are the pages that come out of the typewriter. PHP is a monkey that uses the typewriter, and there are lots of other monkeys just like him: Python, Java (via Apache), ASPX, Perl, etc. It's not a question of either-or.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1371
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 17 May 2018, 19:47

Okay, even better. :)

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
Jack007
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 20 May 2018, 07:25

OK, I need some help from people with mobiles! Be good to have some input from different browsers on Android and iPhone and things.

As we go through trying to make things better for mobile users, I expect to have to keep asking this!! This is all rather iterative.

So specifically, if you have a mobile device and use it to play on PlayDip, could you perhaps go to the Dev site http://www.playdiplomacy.com/dev. If you log in as something like dummyb with a password of dummyb, you can look at for instance the AM Test game. Go into the game.
- Try ordering. There should be some form of highlighting on the from and to territories when you click for move, support etc. On my iPad and laptops it highlights the area. On my old Android phone which is very back dated the highlight is just a rectangle, but I think that is coz I am back level.
- Try the Public Press. I am particularly interested in this

One thing people often say is terrible on phones is PP where the entry box is ridiculously small. I am hoping it should be better now, although it may still irritate?

Let me know. The PP in particular was something where I played with a number of options. I was going to have a button to enter info and then give you an overlay or another window to input the text, but I thought maybe people want to still have sight of the PP messages when they are writing their text as they do today. But it does make it a bit squeezed.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jack007 » 20 May 2018, 08:00

Okay Dipsy. Opera for Android 6.0 here. I went to dev and played with AM game.

The size of the PP box is stunning. But the width of the box should adapt to the screen width when zoomed. Also there's no word wrap due of zooming in the box. Whereas the zooming word wrap of the already posted text works fine.

There should also be a send button at the top of the box as well, for those who write short texts, not to have to scroll down.

In the order screen I can see the shading of the clicked space. The space is surrounded by a red polygonal line, too. The polygon follows points where other borders go away from the space's border. So it gets almost the shape of the space, but without round lines. Mostly looks well, only the space southwest of Sicily (forgot it's name) seems to miss one point, so it looks a bit strange.

Edit: it doesn't miss a point, but the point has shifted too far north into the Northern neighbour space. I guess there has just to be corrected that coordinates of the mapping (or how this is called).

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 20 May 2018, 08:38

Thankyou Jack, very helpful.

So the size of the PP is OK, good. And yes, it occurred to me we might need to move the send button to the top! The zooming is the thing I am very interested in. And I am intrigued. You said that when you zoom in/out, the text of already sent messages wraps so you don't have to go right/left but in the box it doesn't. On my old Android I see no difference. I have to go left and right to read the PP posts. So for you they wrap?
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby super_dipsy » 20 May 2018, 08:46

Ah - OK. I see looking on the web this is a Hot Topic and has been for years. Opera is clearly the best browser for Android because it has text wrap which is why you see it. I need to work out though why you don't see it in the text box. The stock browsers on most Android phones do NOT have text wrap (it appears that at one stage they did but Android removed it). I understand Firefox has a plug in that allows text wrap. But the problem appears to be on the phone browser end rather than the code end.

Well done for using Opera! Perhaps we should just tell people playing Playdip to use Opera and stop at that! The outlining for example - you see it as a red outline, but that is coz you are using Opera. The added shaded area is for people not using browsers that outline the clicked territory. And ues, the issue is the outline follows the polygon set up, which does not precisely match the map image, so sometimes it looks a bit odd. We will probably go and add more points in for the worst ones :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jack007 » 20 May 2018, 09:19

It's only that one space I mentioned, all other outlines look very well. I think it's just that single point at the wrong place.

Concerning the word wrap in the box: the same problem have also the edit boxes of the forum. Just to let you know.

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Postby Jack007 » 20 May 2018, 09:33

Btw the shading of the clicked spaces looks great. Maybe just a tiny bit less dark they could be, so to better see the what's underneath on the space. Might be only a question of taste, though.

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Postby Jack007 » 20 May 2018, 10:07

I have to correct myself. The wrong point is not southwest of Sicily. It's on Berber Sea, southwest of Sardinia.

And I just tested with Firefox Focus on Android 6.0. The outlines are present, too, same as with Opera. Only difference in Firefox Focus is that word wrap doesn't work when zooming, neither in the box nor with the already posted messages (or any webpage).

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions