Invasion Earth: Game Start and House Rules

A variant where players start in orbit over a standard map and must descend to claim territories. Devised and GM'ed by Jegpeg

Moderator: Morg

Invasion Earth: Game Start and House Rules

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Apr 2018, 19:55

The Geonosians, Constructors and Space Broccoli on seeing the strength of the other fleets fighting for other ran away back home so only 6 empires remain. Each has 2 armies and a fleet.

Cliff Dancer: Greys
GPD: Cylon Empire
TugboatDiplomacy: Krikkiters (white but you can't read white text)
Aeshines: Portia Nest
Woolgie: Great Sontaron Empire
Ib1785: Mondoshawans

The house rules state that in the event of an NMR in the first year the player will be eliminated and replaced. The natture of this varient is such that is a player NMRs in this turn they will be eliminated but not replaced, the game will simply become a five player game.

To give you a bit longer for the first move Deadline for Spring 1901 orders is 7pm BST (2pm EDT) on Monday 28th May.
I encourage provisional orders beforehand
Please Include "Invasion Earth" in the title of your PMs

This has been adapted from "It came from Outer Space" by Dan Percival

"Invasion Earth" is an attempt to make a completely level, unbiased game that still brings to play all the subtlety and manoeuvrings of the Standard board. It can be played by any any number of players but I will limit this to at least 4 and no more than 9.

As I will be away for a week in May I do not plan to start until my return proving the minimum number of players has been reached this will probably be week commencing 21st May.

Premise
It is 3782 Galactic years since the first spacefaring creatures reached a tentative tentacle to grasp for the stars. The passage of time since then has been marked by peaceful colonisation and expansion, punctuated by the occasional disputed claim. Effective cloaking devices have made warfare in space impossible, and the rare wars that have been fought have taken place on the surface of the various disputed planets. Barren planets -- the only kind ever found -- are plentiful and not usually worth fighting for; the process of making them habitable is so costly that the resources extracted barely recover the expenses. Additionally, the populations that such planets can support are negligible.

The various galactic empires, with their populations bulging, are in serious danger of decline and fall. All are sure that the first empire to discover and colonise a habitable planet will be well positioned to reverse its decline and soon dominate the galaxy....

On one small and otherwise nondescript planet, the population is celebrating the dawn of a new century. Certain inventors are just beginning to dream of atmospheric flight, and others have begun to experiment with electricity and radio. Little do they know that these experiments are being detected deep in space and are attracting attention. The chance to colonise a habitable planet is more than any race can afford to pass up, and it should be no wonder that races from all across the galaxy are converging on this planet called Earth with colonisation plans and armies to enforce them. Some races plan to cooperate, while others are preparing for all-out war....

Rules
1. All rules, including victory conditions, are as in standard Diplomacy, except where noted below.
2. Any number of players may play the game, each taking the role of the leader of a Galactic Empire.
3. The game starts with an empty standard game map. In addition, each Empire possesses one spacecraft in orbit (ORB), bearing a number of military units (see below).
4. Units in Orbit can only be ordered to move or Hold, they can move to any territory to which they would normally be allowed (any land space for an Army, any sea or coastal space for a fleet), fleets going to a territory with two coasts must specify the coast.
5. Units already on earth can issue any normal order including supporting a unit moving from ORB to a territory that they could move to. Once Landed on Earth units are not able to go back to ORB.
6. Units may be built in any empty supply centre owned by the Galactic Empire (build anywhere)
7. There will be no Adjustment Phase in Winter 01 as all units will have enough resources to last them two years but earth's supply centres will not be able to supply alien resources until Winter 02. The game will go straight from Autumn 01 to Spring 02. Units in supply centres at the end of autumn 01 will however secure them as their territory so will be able to build there in winter 02 (subject to normal rules)
8. Note that from Winter 1902 all units require an SC to support them even those still in ORB
9. Auto-disbands are determined in the following Order, 1. Units in ORB before units on earth, 2. Non-SC before SC, 3. Fleet before Army, 4. Alphabetical (using full province names)

Starting Units for each Galactic Empire

4 Players: 3 armies, 2 fleets
5 Players: 3 armies, 1 fleet
6 or 7 Players: 2 armies 1 fleet
8 or 9 players: 2 armies 0 fleets.

I think it would be good if each participating Galactic Empire took their name from a popular science fiction lore but I will accept anything less than 12 characters and pronounceable (If an empire was called the rgoirejgjoi'fvzseijqpme and I had to type their name on a regular basis it would drive me nuts).

Players

Cliff Dancer: Greys
GPD: Cylon Empire
Chessplayer: Constructors
TugboatDiplomacy: Krikkiters
Aeshines: Portia Nest
Woolgie: Great Sontaron Empire
Ib1785: Mondoshawans
Redsun: Geonosians
Mr. Bobby mcdabberson: Space Broccoli

Reserves
Aardvark Army

House rules
It's up the player to make sure orders are accurate and complete. If the intention of an order is clear then it will be accepted but if there is any ambiguity it will be ignored and the unit will hold. Each unit must have an order for it to do something so an argument like "You could see from my convoy order what the army was supposed to be doing" will not hold any weight. The one exception to invalid orders is that if you use army or fleet designations and you pick the wrong one for units on earth the order will still be valid since that designation is irrelevant to the order.

Sets of orders must be complete. If you send one message with 5 units' orders and a second message with only one unit ordered, only the one unit will be ordered. If two different orders are given for the same unit in the same set, then it will be considered ambiguous and neither will be executed.

If you spot an error in my adjudication please report it publicly as soon as possible. Any error not reported before the next movement deadline will not be corrected. This includes map issues as well as adjudication issues.

If you ask a rules question then if it has an unambiguous answer I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly and with clear reasons. If you do I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension while it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Movement phase Deadlines will always be at at 7pm UK time, it will last between 2.5 and 3.5 days depending when the previous results are issued. Retreat and build phases' deadlines will be 24 hours from when the previous results are published. I'll send a PM when the results are posted with the next deadline but I recommend you send provisional orders early just in case!

For phases longer than 1 day I may send a reminder about 24 hours before the deadline to those players who have not yet submitted any orders. This is because NMRs can ruin a game. The reminder message is a courtesy and its absence is in no way an excuse for you not to get your orders in.

Speed deadlines: Once I have orders from all players I will process them as soon as possible, unless they are marked to be held. ('Provisional' or 'Wait' or some similar designation is fine). I encourage provisional orders where appropriate to reduce the risk of NMRs and I don't mind how often you change them. I will only use the last set I receive. But if you do send in provisional orders please let me know once you're happy to finalize them.
Requests for extensions: Requests for extensions should be made before the start of the phase for which the extension is required. Each player has the right to ask for one extension of up to 48 hours during the game, a second extension may be granted at my discretion. If a player will be away for longer than this I would encourage them to find a sub but if this is not possible I will put the extension proposal to the vote of the players still alive in the game. I will not publish who has requested an extension only that there is one.
Please note: if you want a substitute while you're away it's your job to find one.

Grace periods: If you miss a deadline (Move, Retreat or Build) I will start harassing you and you will have 24 hours to turn in orders. During the grace period orders can still be changed but can be adjudicated as soon as all players have submitted even if they are marked to be held (provisional). Grace periods are intended to give players a little extra time for emergencies, missing the deadline even when getting orders in by the grace period still counts as a "no moves received by the deadline". They are not intended to continually make the deadlines longer.

Forced Replacement: If you fail to turn in moves in one of the following situations you will be replaced and the game will hold until a replacement is found. 1) No moves are received after the grace period for a first year movement phase, 2) No moves are received by the deadline for two phases in a row, 3) No moves are received by the deadline for three total movement phases during the game.

I will aim to process the orders at the deadline though there may be exceptions. If you get orders in late but before I begin you'll get away with it. Once I start adjudicating it's too late to change orders.

Players may make a draw /solo win proposal at any time after 4 game years. Draw proposals must be sent to all surviving players and the GM either by posting on the forums or PMing all involved. The proposer is deemed to have accepted the proposal in all cases. If any surviving player rejects a proposal or it has not been accepted by all surviving players at the end on the phase one game year after the proposal was made then the proposal fails. For example, if a draw proposal is made during the retreat phase of Spring '08 then it will be automatically rejected if it has not been accepted by all surviving players by the end of the retreat phase of Spring '09.
Only one draw proposal may be active at any one time if a player wishes to make a counter proposal they must reject the existing proposal first, this may be done in the same post.
For the purposes of draw proposals a player who, after at any point after the fall moves is mathematically certain being eliminated at the end of the year will not be considered a surviving player.

Errors in adjudication are possible. Check the adjudication and map after orders to make sure everything is right. Any error not reported by the next movement deadline will stand. If there is a difference between the adjudication and the map that is not noticed by the next movement deadline, the map will be considered the source of truth.

If any player changes their forum name during a game they must immediately PM the GM and all other active players informing them of the change.

The GM's decision is final.
Attachments
dip_Inv Earth Start2.png
dip_Inv Earth Start2.png (57.65 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Last edited by Jegpeg on 23 May 2018, 22:50, edited 20 times in total.
Jegpeg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Invasion Earth

Postby Cliff Dancer » 17 Apr 2018, 20:13

Sign me up - this sounds fun!
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1390
All-game rating: 1418

Postby GPD » 17 Apr 2018, 20:43

And me too!
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
GPD

Standard rating: 1706
All-game rating: 1766

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Apr 2018, 21:05

You are both in, and if you want first dibs as to which empire you represent pick early.
Jegpeg

Postby Chessplayer » 17 Apr 2018, 22:05

Great premise! Can I play too?
Tactics, Comrades, tactics.
-Squealer
(Currently in Exile/MIA) Emperor of China in Colonial 7
Chessplayer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 902
All-game rating: 917

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Apr 2018, 23:16

Chessplayer wrote:Great premise! Can I play too?

No Problem
Jegpeg

Postby Cliff Dancer » 17 Apr 2018, 23:49

Dibs on the The Greys!
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1390
All-game rating: 1418

Postby Chessplayer » 18 Apr 2018, 00:30

Greetings fellow Galactic Powers! We are the Constructors; a race of people that for some mystical and vaguely explained reason speak English and help Earthlings build pointless monuments ;) . Take the Pyramids of Giza for example, that was us! We also constructed Stonehedge, the Easter Island Heads, and other monuments for no particular reason. However, the Earthlings, self obsessed as always, claim THEY built this wonderful architecture. We have a large population that is ready to board Earth and wipe out the ungrateful humans.
-Chancellor Gloopap
Last edited by Chessplayer on 18 Apr 2018, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Tactics, Comrades, tactics.
-Squealer
(Currently in Exile/MIA) Emperor of China in Colonial 7
Chessplayer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 902
All-game rating: 917

Postby Aeschines » 18 Apr 2018, 00:42

Is this played on a regular map?

I'm down to try it! (regardless of the map).
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1551
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jegpeg » 18 Apr 2018, 02:15

Aeschines wrote:Is this played on a regular map?

I'm down to try it! (regardless of the map).

Yes it is the regular map the preamble made reference to the "standard board" but I didn't make it clear in the Rules.

1812 Eskimoverture orders wrote:A Den (bravely moves where no Danish have gone before) -> Ams: Bounced (due to Borg sightings)

I would love someone to make those Borg sightings actually come true
Jegpeg

Next

Return to Invasion Earth