Final Fantasy Mafia (input welcome)

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Final Fantasy Mafia (input welcome)

Postby kimbyrle » 16 Apr 2018, 17:22

Final Fantasy Mafia

Blame Dwiltse for this one, he challenged me to write it. Credit to Zoomzip for some of the mechanical ideas that I borrowed to build my own rules on, as well as board games I've played with an auction component. And yeah, I feel slightly icky about the hidden scum mechanic after playing Main Event, but there's a lot more openly on the table in this game than there was in that one so I'm hoping it's less frustrating.

This game honors the spirit of turn-based combat RPGs, but Final Fantasy X is my favorite so it takes flavor from that game. Speak to me not of the abomination that is FFX-2.

Characters: Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Wakka, Lulu, Rikku, Kimahri, Seymour, Lord Braska, Jecht, Cid, Chappu

Characters are assigned irrespective of alignment and are strictly for flavor.

In addition to their characters, the three scum are Sin’s Fin, Sin’s Head, and Sin’s Core. They do not have to be killed in any particular order.

The game begins with 3 scum and 9 town. The goal of the town is to eliminate all the scum; the goal of the scum is to achieve parity with the town. There are no other victory conditions for either side.

Players will accumulate and spend votes over the course of the game. A player's starting number of votes each day is their starting power level that day. Power levels will not be publicly announced, but players may ask the GM to confirm their own power level.

Player Deaths

Players may die one of three ways:
  • Standard lynch
  • Night kill
  • Boss Fight
There is a standard lynch in this game. Players may vote their lynch choice by posting playername in the thread. The vote leader will be lynched at the end of the day. Ties will be settled by random selection. Each player's voting power is equal to their fighting power, unless they have used a Weapon Power Up (see below). Power levels will not be reduced by voting.

The total votes on each player will be announced along with the lynch.

There is no guaranteed night kill in this game. Scum will have a non-guaranteed method of night kill available to them. Scum may or may not have additional abilities beyond a night kill.

See below for rules on how players may be killed by Boss Fights.

The alignment and power levels of players killed by any method will be revealed upon death.

Power Levels

All players begin the game a power level of 3. Each player's power level automatically increases by 1 each day. Additionally, players may increase their power level through a number of means, detailed in the rules:

• Getting Help
  • Defeating Wandering Monsters
  • Winning the Silent Auction
  • Weapon Power Ups

Boss Fights

Every morning a Boss Monster will appear on the battlefield. Each will appear with a power level required to defeat it. To defeat the monster, players must pool and spend their fighting power to meet or exceed the monster's power level. Each player must spend all or none of their fighting power, they may not spend a portion. A player's fighting power is equal to their voting power, unless they have purchased a Weapon Power Up (see below). Fighting power and voting power will still be reduced by an equal amount even if they are different.

To contribute their power to the fight, players must post FIGHT BOSS in the thread. Players may rescind their own contribution by posting FLEE in the thread. Players may continue fighting or fleeing until the end of the day. The final power level used against the Boss Monster will be determined by the Fight or Flee orders in place at the end of the day. Any player who chose to fight but has a power level of 0 at the end of the day will be removed from the fight.

The Boss Fight resolves after the lynch, therefore the lynched player's power level cannot be counted in the Boss Fight.

If the Boss Monster is defeated no players will be killed, however, any power contributed to the fight in excess of the Boss Monster’s power will be added to the scum team's voting power.

If the Boss Monster is not defeated, it will kill players according to the following rules:

• Any player who did not participate in the fight is immune. However, if no players participated in the fight, the monster will randomly kill one townie. Scum will never be randomly killed in this manner.
  • The participant who contributed the highest power level is immune. If two or more players are tied for the highest level, all are immune, unless all participants had equal power levels, in which case the monster will randomly kill one participant. If only one player participates, they are not immune.
  • In all other cases, the monster's power level will be decreased by the total power level spent against it. To kill a player, the monster's remaining power level must exceed that player's power level that they contributed to the fight. If multiple players are eligible, the monster will randomly kill one of them.
  • If no player is eligible according to these rules, then the monster will not kill anyone. However, its remaining power level will be added to the next day's Boss Monster.
At the end of the Boss Fight, the power that each participant contributed to the fight will be announced along with the outcome.

All players participating in the Boss Fight will start the next day phase with a power level of 3.

Getting Help

Each day, any player may choose to give some of their fighting and voting power to someone else. To help another player, post HELP PLAYERNAME # in the thread, where # is the number of power being given. This may not be rescinded once posted. Each player may only help one other player per day.

Wandering Monsters

Each day, any player may request a Wandering Monster fight. The fight must be requested by posting FIGHT MONSTER in the thread (I won't be overly picky about the color code as long as it's green). A fight request may not be rescinded once made. No player may have more than one fight per day. The GM will conduct the fight with the player via PM as soon as feasibly possible, with the results announced in the thread. Fights will involve spending votes and may result in winning or losing votes.

The power level of the Wandering Monster will be determined randomly by d10. The player may spend 1 fighting power to learn the monster's power level. If their power level exceeds the monster's, they automatically win and receive their spent power back plus one additional; if not, they lose without sacrificing more than 1 power.

Alternately, the player may choose to attack immediately without knowing the monster's power level. If their power level meets or exceeds the monster's, they receive additional power equal to the amount by which they exceeded the monster’s power level. If their power level is less than the monster's, they lose power equal to the difference in their power levels. No player's power level may be reduced below 0.

The results of Wandering Monster fights will be announced, but not the player's resultant power level.

Team Fights

Two players may choose to team up to fight a Wandering Monster. To do this, both players must post FIGHT MONSTER WITH PLAYERNAME in the thread. If both players do not post, no fight will happen, and the player who did post may not request another Wandering Monster fight that day.

The same rules will be used with a few modifications:

• The monster's power level will be determined by d12 instead of d10.
  • The fight will take place in a 3-way PM. The players may discuss their strategy before submitting their orders.
  • One or both players may choose to spend one power to learn the monster's power level per the single player rules. If both do this, their power level will be combined to determine the outcome, and each will take the same win or loss.
  • If only one player spends a power to learn the monster's power level, the other fights the monster solo. Otherwise the two may pool their power to fight the monster.
  • If both attack the monster without checking its power level first, they may choose between themselves how to distribute the loss or gain of power.

The Silent Auction

Every day a silent auction will be conducted for 10 power. Players may bid up to 3 of their own power via PM to the GM. Power is spent when bid. At least one bid must be made, otherwise no power will be awarded. Otherwise, the player spending the largest number of power will then be awarded the full 10 votes; if two or more players are tied, the power will be split as close to equally as possible, with advantages determined randomly.

The auction will close 12 hours before the end of the day. The participants and winner(s) will be announced publicly, but the amounts bid and awarded will not be revealed.

Weapon Power Ups

Any player may spend up to two voting power to increase their fighting power by the corresponding amount. This is the only way that voting power and fighting power may be different. This will reset every day. To purchase a Weapon Power Up, post POWER UP # in the thread. This may not be rescinded once requested.

Any player who requests a Weapon Power Up must participate in the Boss Fight.
Last edited by kimbyrle on 30 May 2018, 13:14, edited 27 times in total.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

FIRSTLOVE
Her?
kimbyrle
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1018
All-game rating: 1018
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Final Fantasy Mafia (input welcome)

Postby Keirador » 17 Apr 2018, 02:41

You've finally hit upon a cultural touchstone we don't have in common. ;)
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby kimbyrle » 17 Apr 2018, 03:05

Keirador wrote:You've finally hit upon a cultural touchstone we don't have in common. ;)

It was bound to happen eventually.

FIRSTLOVE
Her?
kimbyrle
Premium Member

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 30 May 2018, 06:15

sooooo question (literally only 2) since ff10 is a three per party operation for the most part would it not be pertinent to have 3 players max per day in a boss fight (and made to take a day to recover meaning cant have another boss fight the next day)?

and 2 will boss fight be an available option on day 1?

statement

whoever is Seymour kill them immediately Seymour was a disgusting asshole that made life difficult not to mention had to be killed 4 times...

other then that im in love and this needs to be played immidantlly (cannot figure out the spelling sorry) lol
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Dwiltse1114
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1046
All-game rating: 1048
Timezone: GMT

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 30 May 2018, 06:17

also chappu is dead use clasko the chocobo knight/breeder (ffx-2 had to work that in there) lol
Dwiltse1114
Premium Member

Postby kimbyrle » 30 May 2018, 12:41

Boss fights will be every day. The idea is as many people can participate as needed to hit the monster's power level. I won't share strategy idea I've already thought of, but players will need a way of figuring out who to send on the fight.

Think of it as how in FFX you could rotate party members in as-needed.

FIRSTLOVE
Her?
kimbyrle
Premium Member

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 30 May 2018, 16:05

kimbyrle wrote:Boss fights will be every day. The idea is as many people can participate as needed to hit the monster's power level. I won't share strategy idea I've already thought of, but players will need a way of figuring out who to send on the fight.

kk and about chappu? lol
Dwiltse1114
Premium Member

Postby kimbyrle » 30 May 2018, 17:01

Dwiltse1114 wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Boss fights will be every day. The idea is as many people can participate as needed to hit the monster's power level. I won't share strategy idea I've already thought of, but players will need a way of figuring out who to send on the fight.

kk and about chappu? lol

Good you're nitpicky. If you wanna get technical, Tidus is also dead. :P

FIRSTLOVE
Her?
kimbyrle
Premium Member

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 30 May 2018, 17:37

Technically no he isn't he was never alive he was a dream lol (but if you 100% ffx-2 in one play through he comes back js)
kimbyrle wrote:
Dwiltse1114 wrote:

kk and about chappu? lol

Good you're nitpicky. If you wanna get technical, Tidus is also dead. :P

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Dwiltse1114
Premium Member

Return to In Development