Convoy Question

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Convoy Question

Postby IbnBa2ta » 08 Apr 2018, 01:47

Hey gang,

Quick question, and I'm hoping I get an answer before my order deadline:

I saw in the stickied post how to convoy, but I had previously ordered the army to make the, without convoy, illegal move. Now that I've instructed the fleet to perform the convoy, showing my orders features both the blue convoying arrows, and the red move arrow. Will this cause conflict? And if so, how to I fix this, as I can't seem to simply rescind an order, I can only supply a new one.

Thanks for the help!
IbnBa2ta

Timezone: EST

Re: Convoy Question

Postby WHSeward » 08 Apr 2018, 01:51

You can always rescind an order by clicking the blue "x" in the orders dropdown window. That deletes your order.

The correct syntax for a convoy order involves at least 2 units, the moving army and the convoying fleet. The order should look like this

A XXX move YYY
F AAA convoy XXX to YYY

If there are more fleets in the convoy chain, then they all have the same order indicating the origin and destination of the moving army, so

F BBB convoy XXX to YYY
F CCC convoy XXX to YYY

Hope that helps.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby IbnBa2ta » 08 Apr 2018, 02:08

The rescind order tip is very helpful, thanks!

I understand how convoying works in DIplomacy as a game, my question was more geared towards the inner workings of this particular website. I am concerned my convoy order won't jive with the move order I gave the army. Sorry for not being more clear earlier :oops:

Example:
The orders I've input are
1) A Apulia move Trieste
2) F Adriatic convoy Apulia to Trieste

When playing with the physical boardgame, this is the correct syntax. However, in the How to use point and click for orders thread in this forum, it lists how to convoy as only the Fleet orders. So will my two orders in the example work out the intended way, or is the order input of this site slightly different?

I've got a feeling I'm wildly misunderstanding the thread I linked, and if so I'm very sorry for wasting your time. I really appreciate the help.
IbnBa2ta

Postby Shyvve » 08 Apr 2018, 02:26

I just checked a convoy order in a game of mine. You will be fine and your orders are correct as entered. The interface just shows both the army destination order AND the blue convoy too.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1272
All-game rating: 1313
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby IbnBa2ta » 08 Apr 2018, 02:33

Cool! Thanks for the confirmation, both of you are awesome. :D
IbnBa2ta

Postby WHSeward » 08 Apr 2018, 04:02

Just to close the loop, you read the thread you linked to correctly, just be a little more literal.

Only one unit makes a "convoy" order; the fleet. The army makes a "move" order. To have a successful convoy you need both orders submitted.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to PlayDip Academy