Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - CONFIRMATION PHASE

If you are new to the site, and especially if you are new to the game, this might be a good way to start some games. Mentors will help with the mechanics of the game.

Moderator: WHSeward

Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - CONFIRMATION PHASE

Postby Jack007 » 07 Apr 2018, 16:43

Mentor games are for beginners to play together and learn the basics of Diplomacy and how the website interface works, with an experienced player available to answer questions & provide encouragement. Any player that thinks they might benefit from a teaching game is welcome.

Looking to play your first game?
Have played before, but it was some time ago and feel rusty?
New to PlayDip and want to get used to the interface?
Been on site for a while and would like some pointers?
All are welcome. We ask only that you commit to seeing the game through to completion, because leaving a game partway through disrupts the experience for the remaining players. The duration of Diplomacy games can vary widely, but you can expect to be in the game for about two months if you do well. Should unforeseen life circumstances mean you need to quit, please let us know a.s.a.p. so that we can line up a replacement, rather than abandoning the game without notice.

If you are interested in playing, either reply in this thread or use the site PM system to contact me. This game is scheduled to begin on 15th of April, but we will start whenever we get a full set of seven players. If you sign up on this thread but don't get a place, you will get priority in the next mentor game.

Information on our current mentor game below...

Game No: 143276
Game Name: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018
Deadlines: 2/1/1 (movement/retreats/builds, in days)

Your mentor will be: Jack007

Participants:
kimbyrle
Mrdisco102
Rotsu
Rowland
dizzysheep1
zaider
HydroSmith

New priority list:
XVJ96
HotelBravo

Old priority list: (players already signed up on previous mentor game threads)
sarge57
PrussiaAscendant
khoussos
JebeNoyan
forgetmenot
FidelCasBro
CONNOR1602
gavintheviking

The priority list consists of previous signups who haven't yet had a chance to play in a mentor game. They (along with the enough players from this thread's new signups list to fill the board) will get a two-day priority window to join this game before the password is sent out to all new signups.

Veteran players fill open spots from any surrenders in our games. If you are a vet and interested in helping the teaching effort, please let us know and we will add you to the veteran standby list. Mentors do not play in their own game.

Standby veteran players:
cesspitt
otagotasolo
Gwalchmai
TiberiusG58
condude1
revkev12
joe92
nanooktheeskimo
Frenchie07001
dangerboy
Lionlaw
zillusion
AngelEyesGBU
prgm
Bromley86
Durkeety
Cardlinger
Gavrilo Princip
balamory
wrk4thjkr
drintoul
xavier77
gnaah
kwc
springbutt46
Pb10gon
tullys
edmgrim
bindlestiff
Antigonos
GhostEcho
GPD
Shivve
Last edited by Jack007 on 19 Apr 2018, 18:05, edited 14 times in total.
Jack007 (4 Stars) banned for not shuting up

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises
Mentor of the Champions (or was it the other way round?)

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1231
All-game rating: 1573
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - Signup

Postby kimbyrle » 07 Apr 2018, 17:29

Hooray, I was able to join! I guess being logged into the forum wasn’t the same as being logged into the main site? I was finally able to find it after I logged in again. :D
ExiledAtHome wrote:Kim seems like a shyish librarian type at first, but is actually a ruthlessly calculating numbers cruncher who will cut you down with a quick verbal barb in an instant between sips of her bourbon.

"There is as much deception in noise as there is in silence." ~Jacqueline Carey
kimbyrle

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 1/7

Postby Jack007 » 09 Apr 2018, 14:23

Hi, I'm Jack007, your mentor of the battle, sort of a Consilarius of the Family ;) . However, I gonna show you some aspects of the Diplomacy game, help with the interface, give tips about strategy and tactics, where to find resources, and how to communicate and behave psychologically. We may also talk about variants and other ways to play Diplomacy. And of course, I will answer all your questions. 8-)

Kimbyrle, thanks for joining. Please hold on, untill the other players have joined as well, then you will be adverted to confirm participation. We are going to have a great time. Link to game

Actually there are 6 open spots left. They will be filled within a few days, likely. Anybody who wants to play with us please leave a little post here or send me a private message. There are no conditions of admission, just consider that the game will last around 3 months, so that's approx. until early July. It is important that the players stay at the game and don't leave before the end.

So long.. see you soon

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
Jack007
Premium Member

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 2/7

Postby Mrdisco102 » 11 Apr 2018, 23:11

New guy here! I would live to join and learn.
Mrdisco102

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 2/7

Postby Jack007 » 12 Apr 2018, 10:42

Welcome Mrdisco. I have sent you a PM with the password and instructions how to join the game.

There are still open spots in the coming Mentor Game. Anybody wanting to participate please drop a short posting here or send me a private message. Looking forward to meet you in the game.

See you there.. Jack :)

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 3/7

Postby Rotsu » 15 Apr 2018, 00:20

I would not mind playing in another mentor game, these things always help me improve massively, and I really need an active example of how to execute in the early game to continue improving my game.

If a game has space, contact me.

Rotsu :)
Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.
Franklin P. Jones
Rotsu
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1006
All-game rating: 1013
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 5/7

Postby dizzysheep1 » 16 Apr 2018, 22:19

If there are still open spots, I would love to play.
If there is a spot for me, please pm me
dizzysheep1

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - SIGN UP 5/7

Postby Jack007 » 16 Apr 2018, 22:50

Welcome dizzysheep1 and Rotsu. I have sent you a PM with the password and instructions on how to join. Looking forward to see you in game.

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - CONFIRMATION PHASE

Postby Jack007 » 17 Apr 2018, 13:09

The game is now in the confirmation phase. All players joined to the game, please go to your "My Pending Games" tab and confirm your participation. Once all players have confirmed, the game will disappear from the "My Pending Games" tab, and appear at the "My Active Games" tab. There, you can click on the small map which brings up the game for playing, that is giving in your orders, communicate via private or public messages, check the game's history, and more. (The only button you should never click on, is the Surrender Button :shock: . Before you consider to do so, please first contact me by all means. Okay?)

Those who didn't make it into the game, namely XVJ96 and HotelBravo, please hold on. There might be one or another drop out during the confirmation phase, in which case the game returns to the signup phase, and you might be able to join then. If not, you are in any case put on the Priority List for the next mentor game, starting approximatively in 2 weeks (run by Macchiara). Priority players will get the password first, to make sure they get a spot. 8-)

So long.. Jack

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Re: Mentor Game - April 15, 2018 - BACK IN JOINING PHASE

Postby Jack007 » 19 Apr 2018, 13:00

The game has returned to the joining phase, due to a dropout (one person did not confirm during the confirmation time).

After the vacant spot has been filled, all players are again requested to confirm. Thanx guys for your patience.

Jack

Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Return to Mentoring