PDL - Round 2 update and viewers lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL - Round 2 update and viewers lounge

Postby champinoman » 15 May 2018, 13:34

PDL 2.2.2 has ended.

A little disappointed with the ending but it was taken out of my hands quite a few game years ago.

Full concentration onto game 3 now!
champinoman

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1264
All-game rating: 1275
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby lb1785 » 15 May 2018, 14:16

champinoman wrote:PDL 2.2.2 has ended.

A little disappointed with the ending but it was taken out of my hands quite a few game years ago.

Full concentration onto game 3 now!

Disappointed? Why? ;)

We'll have a lot to say in the AAR...
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver member of the Classicists
The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1391
All-game rating: 1394
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 15 May 2018, 16:26

Genuinely surprised at who turned out to be what country. A four way is kind of an Eh result, but given that I was at 3 centers with 3 people trying to kill me in 1903...and I put myself in a position for a decent 3 way that didn’t happen for reasons outside my control...so I feel pretty decent about this game overall.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 15 May 2018, 17:48

I'm also very curious what happened in 1908, particularly fall 1908. A/T had a golden chance to force MAO (and once MAO is forced, they had more than enough bodies to just overwhelm F/G the rest of the way. Without forcing MAO, France could defend indefinitely against A/T, which meant that instead of a race to a carebear 2-way draw (with a realistic chance of a major stab one way or the other), it turned into F/A/T with France having the perpetual option to keep Germany afloat (Germany convincing France to do this was a real coup as well imo).
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1254
All-game rating: 1427
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 15 May 2018, 17:56

mhsmith0 wrote:I'm also very curious what happened in 1908, particularly fall 1908. A/T had a golden chance to force MAO (and once MAO is forced, they had more than enough bodies to just overwhelm F/G the rest of the way. Without forcing MAO, France could defend indefinitely against A/T, which meant that instead of a race to a carebear 2-way draw (with a realistic chance of a major stab one way or the other), it turned into F/A/T with France having the perpetual option to keep Germany afloat (Germany convincing France to do this was a real coup as well imo).

I’ll talk about this in the AAR. Basic short version is that Austria could’ve gotten to 18 before I got to 15 or 16, and if I had forced MAO it would’ve taken a LOT of lying to France, and the kind of lying that I generally don’t really like to do cause it makes people want to throw against you. It would’ve likely ended in an Austrian solo if I’d gone that route—or he’d carebear me into a 2 way, but I’m not real comfortable relying on someone else making a conscious decision not to solo for me to get a result.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby champinoman » 16 May 2018, 04:17

mhsmith0 wrote:Without forcing MAO, France could defend indefinitely against A/T, which meant that instead of a race to a carebear 2-way draw (with a realistic chance of a major stab one way or the other), it turned into F/A/T

Sigh... You'd think so. And trust me there were plenty of messages explaining this.

Well played to lb though. Getting yourself injected into that draw was great work.

I'll have to have a look through the game when I get a chance to remind myself what happened all that time ago in order to write in the AAR.
champinoman

Standard rating: 1264
All-game rating: 1275
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby lb1785 » 17 May 2018, 10:30

champinoman wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:Without forcing MAO, France could defend indefinitely against A/T, which meant that instead of a race to a carebear 2-way draw (with a realistic chance of a major stab one way or the other), it turned into F/A/T

Sigh... You'd think so. And trust me there were plenty of messages explaining this.

Well played to lb though. Getting yourself injected into that draw was great work.

I'll have to have a look through the game when I get a chance to remind myself what happened all that time ago in order to write in the AAR.

Thanks for your kind words! I set up the AAR in the relevant subforum.
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver member of the Classicists
The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1391
All-game rating: 1394
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League