Vain Rats 6 - (Cancelled, Not Enough Interest)

New games taking their initial sign-ups, or active games needing replacements or reserves, you'll find them here

Moderator: Morg

Vain Rats 6 - (Cancelled, Not Enough Interest)

Postby EpicDim » 30 Jan 2018, 03:45

What is different between previous Vain Rats: One thing I heard a lot about VR 5 was how fast people figured out everyone's powers and how the hidden information fun was lost very quickly. What if you got a different power each year and that hidden information fun could be continued throughout the game? Because of that change I had to adjust some of the powers to make them useful in that type of scenario.

1. GPD
2. EnlightenedMonarch
3. willie23
4. chaserh11
5. condude1
6. ?
7. ?

2nd Eyes - attitudes

All standard Diplomacy rules apply including the standard map, except for all the rules below which will totally break all of those rules.

Victory Conditions will be owning more than half of the currently existing Supply Centers at the start of a Winter phase.

Elimination will occur if after a winter phase you have no units left on the board.

Blind Auction start for Nations.

Each player will receive a random power each year at the start of the winter adjustments phase, including before Spring 1901. (GMs will not allow some powers in 1901, this will be objectively decided prior to nation bids but not announced) The power will only last for the year. However, credits that are accumulated because of a power can be used even after the power is gone. Similarly once a unit has been given an enhancement it will keep that enhancement even after the power is gone. Enhancements will stack in the order they are added. Changes to the board will also remain after the power is gone.

Credits that can be saved: Strength (Amoeba), Build Centers (Crooks Tourist, Foreign Build, Neutral Build), Convoy (Guild), Movement (Petrol Rationing)

Unit enhancements: Bene-Tleilaxu, Chameleon, Hopper, King, Leonides, Macron, Prince, Raider, Raizer, Warmonger, Zombie

Board changes: Traps (Bene-Tleilaxu), Earthquakes, Filth, Bombs (Terrorist), Raized Centers

The only public information will be 1) the visible map including non-chameleon units with their types (army/fleet) and non-chameleon ownership changes, 2) the final non-chameleon unit orders (Move, Support, Convoy, Hold) and their adjudication results, 3) land/sea/SC/adjacency changes, 4) Player eliminations. Private information will include 1) the power the player has, 2) any chameleon unit orders, the adjudication results and ownership changes, 3) saved credits, 4) power order success/failure, 5) Number of builds available, 6) Unit enhancements to their units.

If you are familiar with prior Vain Rats games, there are significant differences between prior instances of these rules and this version. Please make yourself aware of how the powers work for this version and/or ask the GMs questions.

Amoeba:
This player gains one strength credit for each of their units that submits a hold order and is not attacked. They can use these credits to add additional strength for move or support (in any amount) to units either this phase or in future phases. If the player attempts to use more credits than they have available no additional stength will be added, and no credits will be used. When adding strength, the total strength will be used in movement, support, or holding.

Amphibian:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders switch any or all of their units on coastal provinces between army and fleet. The switch occurs prior to the move. If an army switches to a fleet on a multiple coast province they must also declare the coast or the switch will fail.

Atreides:
While this player has this power, they, their SCs, and their units are immune to all special abilities, past or current, including their own. This applies to credits, unit enhancements, and board changes. Any enhancements that were made to their units or SCs in previous years will reapply once this power is gone. If this causes a unit to be in an illegal location during power changes they may retreat after the build phase if possible. If any opponent's non-standard order would affect this player's units or supply centers then the order is cancelled.

Bene-Tleilaxu:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of their units a Bene-Tleilaxu. Bene-Tleilaxu units may order placing a trap in any space that they are leaving and declare the number of years the trap is active. If the unit fails to leave the space the trap will fail to be set. Once the Bene-Tleilaxu unit places its trap it must order a Hold order before it can lay another trap. If any units attempt to enter (including armies convoyed through sea spaces) or build in a space with a trap it explodes and destroys all of the units that are attempting to enter it that phase. If there are multiple traps/bombs in a space only one explodes each phase they are triggered. For triggering traps, the illusion switch is considered a separate phase after retreats.

Chameleon:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of their units a Chameleon. The unit will go invisible prior to the moves. The orders for that unit will not be revealed and territories occupied and controlled by Chameleons will not be disclosed, nor will the map be colored for them.

Crooks Tourist:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of the original neutral supply centers as a build center. In any future adjustments phase the player may build in those centers whether or not they are owned by them. Once a build is successful by the player in one of these centers, it is no longer eligible to be built in by that player.

Earthquake:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders affect one province in one of the following ways:
i) Make any impassable province passable. Original Impassable provinces that are made passable become neutral supply centers. Original Impassable provinces are as follows (Switzerland, Iceland, Ireland, Crete, Cyprus, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Balearic Islands)
ii) Make any passable province other than an owned supply centre impassable.
iii) Turn any sea province into a land province
iv) Turn any land province into a sea province
The earthquake happens after moves and before retreats. Units that would become stranded may retreat during the retreat phase if possible. A sunken supply center remains a supply center and will continue to support a unit. It can be claimed by a fleet like any other supply center.

Eraser:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders select a board space. This order will 1) cancel any special orders or unit abilities regarding that space that phase and 2) that space and any units in that space after the movement phase will revert back to their original state as far as powers are concerned. This includes any unit enhancements as well as board changes. Units that would become stranded may retreat during the retreat phase if possible. This does not change ownership of the space.

Evil Eye:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders order one unit from one other country. These orders have precedence over all other types of orders. A unit of the same country may not be ordered for two consecutive seasons by the same Evil Eye player. Any power or credits that the unit/power has will still be active and can be ordered under the new order from the Evil Eye. If a unit gets 2 different valid orders from 2 different people with Evil Eye, the unit will hold.

Filth:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders select one supply center they own to become filthy. No other player may gain credit for it until it has been fumigated. When another power would normally have gained control that phase is used in fumigating the centre and the supply center becomes neutral. Occupation in the next season when control could be gained is needed to gain control of the supply center.

Foreign Build:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of the other original home supply centers as a build center. In any future adjustments phase the player may build in those centers whether or not they are owned by them. Once a build is successful by the player in one of these centers, it is no longer eligible to be built in by that player.

Guild:
This player gains one convoy credit each spring and fall phase. They can use each credit to convoy over one sea space (occupied or unoccupied) for its armies. The Guild may accumulate these convoy credits to be used in a future phase. This may also be combined with fleets in the water to allow the army to convoy further. If the player attempts to use more credits than they have available the attempted orders will be changed to hold, and no credits will be used.

Hawkonnen:
This player may with their spring orders declare one unit from one other country as a traitor. This traitor will take orders from this player for the year, including the move and retreat phases. These orders are a higher precedence than normal orders but lower than Evil Eye. Any power or credits that the unit/power has will still be active and can be ordered under the new order from the Hawkonnen. If a unit gets 2 different valid orders from 2 different players with Hawkonnen, the unit will hold.

Hopper:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of their units a Hopper. Hoppers are no longer considered adjacent to spaces 1 away from their space. They are now adjacent for movement, support, and convoy to spaces that are 2 away from their space. Hopper fleets when moving to a land (or coastal) space are only adjacent to a set of spaces depending on where the fleet originated based on the possible spaces that could have been skipped over. A Hopper fleet in the sea may convoy an army from one land space to another that are each adjacent by it's rules.

Hyperspace:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders link any two provinces on the board for the following move season. This link will be public knowledge. The two spaces are considered adjacent after the retreats for the current season until after the retreats for the following season. This link is from the entire space to the entire space, so all coasts are adjacent to the link. If a fleet becomes stranded inland when a link disappears it will be destroyed.

Illusionist:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders, order two spaces to exchange. These spaces must be similar when ordered (i.e. land with land, sea with sea, supply center with supply center, coastal with coastal) Any unit which ends the retreat phase in one space will appear in the other. If one of the player's own units finishes the season in either of the named spaces then the illusion will fail for that turn. If a fleet appears in a territory with multiple coasts, the coast will be randomly decided. If both spaces are occupied, both units move to the other space. If multiple Illusionists are in play and a “chain” is created, then the names of the spaces will be arranged in alphabetical order, the first in the list would move to the second space and so on; the last moves to the first space.

Insect:
This player will receive copies of the powers of all other players that they own a home center of if any. If this player does not own any other players' home centers it will receive a copy of the power(s) of a random opponent. They will be told which power(s) they have but not whom they share the power with.

King Key:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a unit to be a Prince. Prince units which attack an enemy unit which is trying unsuccessfully to move succeeds regardless of support strengths involved. The player may with each of their spring and fall orders may also designate one Prince unit (prieviously designated) of any player as King. When declared a King, they lose all other enhancements, but can gain additional ones after becoming King. The King has double strength which includes all orders (e.g. move, hold, suppport). Every season a King is designated will cancel all King designations that were designated in prior seasons.

Leonides:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a unit to be Leonides. Leonides units that are executing a hold order (not support nor convoy) will annihilate any unit of any player attempting to move to that space.

Macron:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a non-Macron unit to be Macron. Macron units have double strength when moving.

Negator:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a space as negated. All orders this phase by all players which reference this space will be cancelled.

Neutral Builder:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare one of the original non-supply centers in another country's national territory as a build center. In any future adjustments phase the player may build in those spaces whether or not they are owned by them. Once a build is successful in one of these spaces, it is no longer eligible to be built in by that player.

Petrol Rationing:
This player gains one move credit for each unit that submits a hold order and is not dislodged. They can use these credits to add additional movement (in any amount) to units either this phase or in future phases. If the player attempts to use more credits than they have available no additional movement will be added, no credits will be used, and the units will only follow their first order. When adding movement it may be in any valid direction including convoys. Those units receiving an extra movement allowance must order their additional moves explicitly and individually (eg "A St Petersburg > Moscow > Sevastapol > Armenia") Any one of these individual movements can be supported by one or more other units as normal, and where appropriate can also be convoyed by other units. Any of the moves may bounce with other units and if it does bounce then the chain of moves stops at the point, and any moves not attempted because of a bounce will not use any credits.

Raider:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a unit to become a Raider. Raider units finishing the spring retreat phase in a supply center gain control of it immediately.

Raizer:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a unit to become a Raizer. Raizers retreating into or out of a Supply Center may destroy the Supply Center. If it were a build center to someone, they may still build there but it will no longer suppply units nor count towards victory conditions.

Terrorist:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders place a bomb in an unoccupied, non-supply center space. If any units attempt to enter (including armies convoyed over sea spaces) or build in the space the bomb explodes and destroys all of the units that are attempting to enter it that phase. If there are multiple bombs/traps in a space only one explodes each phase they are triggered. For triggering bombs, the illusion switch is considered a separate phase after retreats.

Thief:
This player may with their spring or fall orders order any unit stolen. The stolen unit is removed from play prior to any adjudication. No single nation can have two units stolen during the same year. This would mean two thefts during the same phase would both fail, and if the country lost one in Spring any Fall thefts would fail.

United Nations:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders switch one enemy unit on a coastal province between army and fleet. The switch occurs prior to the move. If an army switches to a fleet on a multiple coast province you must also declare the coast or the switch will fail.

Warmonger:
This player may with each of their spring and fall orders declare a unit to become a Warmonger. A Warmonger has 1.5 times it's prior strength when moving and an enemy unit which is dislodged by an attack from a Warmonger may not retreat and is auto destroyed.

Zombie:
This player may with each of their spring or fall orders choose one of their units to become a zombie unit. As a result, you do not need supply centres to maintain these units. However zombie units MUST execute a move against an adjacent unit if one exists. If the move is not ordered, or it's cancelled in some way the zombie will change it's order to a move to a random adjacent unit. Zombie unit's may also never support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Deadlines
This game will be run with 3/1/1. 3 days for Spring and Fall orders (5 days for both 1901 phases), 1 day for retreats, 1 day for winter.

2nd Eyes Rules
ALL orders must be sent to me and the second eyes GM. If you question any adjudication please question it to both myself and the second eyes GM. Due to the amount of hidden information, we will confirm whether it is correct or incorrect, but not WHY.

Basic GM Rules

This is Diplomacy, so you should know how to write regular Diplomacy orders. It's up to you to make sure orders are accurate and complete. I won't parse them so if an order is ambiguous it will be ignored. If it's clear what they mean then no problem but if they're at all ambiguous they're invalid. Each unit must have an order for it to do something so an argument like "You could see from my convoy order what the army was supposed to be doing" will not hold any weight. The one exception to invalid orders is that if you use army or fleet designations and you pick the wrong one the order will still be valid since that designation is irrelevant to the order. Sets of orders must be complete. If you send one message with 5 units' orders and a subsequent message with only one unit ordered, only the one unit will be ordered. If two different orders are given for the same unit in the same set, then it will be considered ambiguous and neither will be executed.

If you spot an error in my adjudication please report it as soon as possible. Any error not reported before the next deadline may not be corrected. This includes map issues as well as adjudication issues of any kind.

If you ask a rules question then if it has an unambiguous answer I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly (publicly or privately) and with clear reasons; if you do, I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension while it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines will always be at 8pm Central US Time (including daylight savings changes). I'll send a PM when the results are posted with the next deadline in both Central time and GMT.

For phases longer than 1 day I'll send a reminder about 24 hours before the deadline (give or take a few hours) to those players who orders are expected from and have not yet submitted orders. This is because Civil Disorder can ruin a game. The reminder message is a courtesy and its absence is in no way an excuse for you not to get your orders in.

Speed deadlines: Once I have orders from all players I will process them as soon as possible, unless they are marked to be held. ('Provisional' or 'Wait' or some similar designation is fine). I encourage provisional orders where appropriate to reduce the risk of Civil Disorder and I don't mind how often you change them. I will only use the last set I receive. But if you do send in provisional orders please let me know once you're happy to finalize them. I may write to check if yours are the only orders waiting to be finalized, but if I do, then this is a reminder not a hassle. Don't feel pressured into finalizing before you're ready.

Requests for extensions: If I receive a request for an extension I will put it up for a vote and must have more players voting yes than voting no to approve it. Each player may only request one extension per phase.

Please note: if you want a substitute while you're away it's your job to find one.

Grace periods: If you miss a deadline I will start harassing you and you will have 24 hours to turn in orders. During the grace period orders can still be changed by anyone but can be adjudicated as soon as all players have submitted even if they are marked as provisional. Grace periods are intended to give players a little extra time for emergencies, missing the deadline even when getting orders in by the grace period still counts as a "missed deadline". They are not intended to continually make the deadlines longer.

Forced Replacement: If you miss the deadline in one of the following situations you will be replaced and the game will hold until a replacement is found. 1) No moves are received after the grace period for a first year movement phase, 2) No moves are received at the deadline for two movement phases in a row, 3) No moves are received at the deadline for four total movement phases during the game.

I will aim to process the orders at the deadline though there may be exceptions. If you get orders in late but before I begin you'll get away with it. Once I start adjudicating it's too late to change orders.

Errors in adjudication are possible. Check the adjudication and map after orders to make sure everything is right. Any error not reported by the next deadline will stand. If there is a difference between the adjudication and the map that is not noticed by the deadline, the map will take precedence.

Draws: I accept secret draw requests. They will be messaged to all remaining players. For a draw to pass it will require an unanimous Yes vote from all remaining players. For a vote to count it must be sent to the GM only and be your first vote on the proposal. The proposer is NOT assumed to have voted yes (unlike extension requests). It will remain valid for one game year or until a single No vote occurs. If it passes I will send it out immediately. If it fails it will be sent out with the results for the following season to avoid timing of who voted it down.

The GM's decision is final.
Last edited by EpicDim on 15 Oct 2018, 18:02, edited 14 times in total.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Vain Rats 6 - 0/7

Postby Strategus » 30 Jan 2018, 21:26

Me
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1659
All-game rating: 1816
Timezone: GMT

Postby condude1 » 30 Jan 2018, 21:28

I'll take a spot for now. I might withdraw before the game starts, depending on my workload, but I love the Vain Rats idea, and have wanted to play it for a long time.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 30 Jan 2018, 22:45

Similar to Condude, I'm interested but can't promise I will end up joining in the end, it depends on when the game starts.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Vain Rats 6 - 3/7

Postby Gooderian » 06 Feb 2018, 13:19

Like the two before me I'm interested depending on when this starts.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1042)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Vain Rats 6 - 5/7

Postby EpicDim » 20 Feb 2018, 17:28

And only 2 slots remaining.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Postby EpicDim » 17 Apr 2018, 17:32

Waking this up to see if there is any recent interest.
EpicDim

Postby AKFD » 09 May 2018, 08:16

I'm in! Sounds interesting...
Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD
Premium Member

Location: Metro Manila, Philippines (Any Filipinos out there?)
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 881
All-game rating: 852
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: Vain Rats 6 - 6/7

Postby willie23 » 12 Jun 2018, 23:49

Vain Rats is almost full...when do you think it will start? I'm ready if and when everyone else is. Maybe after the summer is over.
Let me just put it this way: I’ve got a long way to go...

Bronze Member of the Classicists.
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23
Premium Member

Location: Lordsburg, New Mexico, USA (Right on Interstate-10)
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 992
All-game rating: 1030
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Vain Rats 6 - 6/7

Postby EpicDim » 13 Jun 2018, 15:33

As soon as we have 7 I will confirm everyone's still interested and we would start.
EpicDim

Next

Return to Forum Games looking for players