AAR 137979. Honour and glory

Discussion of finished games.

AAR 137979. Honour and glory

Postby FloridaMan » 21 Jan 2018, 04:02

Here's my video AAR for game 137979. Honour and glory...

When the game began, the players were:

howknot - England
Johneindhoven - France
AluckyShot - Italy
Karel123 - Austria
chrisgeo - Turkey
Jwmt - Russia
Xxxatlantacion - Germany

When the game ended, the players were:

Saturos - England
FloridaMan (SOLO WIN) - France
AluckyShot - Italy
Bechtelsheimer - Austria
happygolucky - Turkey
Damon Huntington - Russia

So there was some upheaval...

I also have a written version of the AAR, which I used as a script for this video, and which I'm happy to add to this post if people dislike the sound of my voice :(

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

I'm thinking about adding more stuff to this YouTube channel, if people are interested, such as my thoughts on Austrian opening strategy (Austria is the country I'm most likely to solo with), etc.
Last edited by FloridaMan on 21 Jan 2018, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1676
All-game rating: 1784
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: AAR 137979. Honour and glory

Postby Damon Huntington » 21 Jan 2018, 04:26

I'm still watching the video, but I can't help but notice a mistake when discussing the 1915 moves.

You said that if you had held Trieste in 1915, you'd have won the game, but that's incorrect. Had you played Trieste HOLDS + Tyrolia SUPPORTS Trieste HOLDS, support from Tyrolia would be cut from Bohemia, and Trieste would be unable to resist against Budapest to Trieste + Vienna SUPPORTS Budapest to Trieste.

I'll finish watching and then add my own observations.
Damon Huntington

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1341)
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby FloridaMan » 21 Jan 2018, 05:18

Damon Huntington wrote:You said that if you had held Trieste in 1915, you'd have won the game, but that's incorrect. Had you played Trieste HOLDS + Tyrolia SUPPORTS Trieste HOLDS, support from Tyrolia would be cut from Bohemia, and Trieste would be unable to resist against Budapest to Trieste + Vienna SUPPORTS Budapest to Trieste.

A small syntax error on my part. I meant if I'd successfully held onto Trieste, not if I'd entered "Trieste HOLDS."

I look forward to reading or hearing your thoughts.

~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Postby Damon Huntington » 21 Jan 2018, 19:41

Let's hit the ground running!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I joined the game on Fall 1905 (technically, Spring 1905 Retreat), so I have no observations regarding the turns before that one. The analysis provided for the opening moves was already more than thorough.

The board that I took over was not that good. Austria had one Home Centre of mine. Germany had taken Sweden from me. I was at a great risk of being forced to destroy one unit. I needed an ally, and fast.

It was at that point that I reached over to Turkey, who also seemed to be engaging Austria as an enemy. My proposition was to pressure Austria into destroying his units little by little, through him aiding me to take Austrian territory. I also sent a message to England, proposing an equitative division of Scandinavia and the demise of Germany.

My predictions for Fall 1905 were the following: Norway moves to Barents Sea (partial marks: he attempted moving to Norwegian Sea instead and was subject to a bounce), Turkey and England would reliably ally with myself for that turn (correct), Austria would not defend Warsaw (correct), Rumania would attack Bulgaria with Serbia's support (partial marks: it was Serbia's attack, with Rumanian support).

Phew. I don't have to destroy an unit. Turkey has to destroy one, giving me a bit more of leverage and manoeuvring space.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring 1906. My situation is marginally better, but I'm still not out of the woods. I'm still concerned about Norway to Barents Sea, and as such I attempt to take Norway once more, with no positive results. Turkey is oddly silent - perhaps resenting me for being determinant in losing an unit? I began to wonder whether he knew that was my intent, or whether he'd attribute the guilt to Austria, the direct attacker. England has decided to communicate better, and seems to be willing to divide Scandinavia. Excellent. This is the point in which Germany is forced to fight a war in two fronts, which leads him to loss

My predictions for Spring 1906 were the following: Norway moves to Barents Sea (I'll consider that incorrect, as it was highly likely that he "moved out of Norway" to cut an eventual support on Denmark), Austria moves out of Galicia and gives me an opening to threaten his territories (correct), Rumania is left unprotected (correct), Austria attempts an attack on Bulgaria again with the same syntax as the previous turn (correct).

Fall 1906. Overall, I'm in a good position, except for two elements - Turkey's odd silence concerns me, and Austria's position on Ukraine might give me a lot of trouble. I am under the distinctive impression that Austria will be slightly too impulsive and skip from Vienna to Trieste in order to cover his bases. My reading is off. Instead of spending resources worrying about which Home SC Austria will take, I decide to take a risk and see if I can nab 2 or 3 SCs this round. I can definitely use an Army on St. Petersburg to undo that afterwards.

My predictions for Fall 1906 were the following: Vienna moves to Trieste (a blunder: the best counter-reading is Galicia to Budapest supported by Rumania), Austria moves into Moscow, enabling a retake from St. Petersburg in the future (correct), England will indeed help me in taking Norway (correct).

Spring 1907. Some ground was retaken, but the situation with Turkey concerns me. I need to cause it to self-destroy in a battle with Austria by giving him a little help, but not enough (an idea that was not as well-executed by me as I'd like, and that ultimately contributed to the endgame result). Likewise, the Fleet on Black Sea is concerning. I deliberately file an incorrect order pretending that I thought Bulgaria would be the territory to attack Serbia, and then explain it to Turkey afterwards. He does not seem to buy the idea completely, but there seemed to be reasonable doubt. Good. I also do not help England take Sweden, as I want to waste his time. Also good.

My predictions for Spring 1907 were the following: Moscow moves to Ukraine (correct), Turkey attacks me somehow with Black Sea (incorrect), England will indeed help me in taking Norway (correct). This was a slow year, since there were multiple variables that needed some clarification.

Fall 1907. England reaches out to me, proposing that I help him get Sweden. The idea concerns me, as he'd get more SCs than I do; I try convincing him of helping me to take Sweden instead. I thought he would comply, but he didn't - a shame. France also reaches in contact with me, and he is someone that seems to be my best bet as an ally - according to my calculations, the endgame would be composed of two cores: England fighting France and myself fighting Turkey, which would give me the upperhand by exploiting England's frontline and then stabbing from the behind once enough breathing space was given. I reach out to placate Turkey, saying that I won't vie for Serbia; I expected, however, that Austria would put enough of a good defence and prevent him front taking the area. Score.

My predictions for Fall 1907 were the following: England helps me take Sweden (incorrect), Budapest is ripe for the taking (correct), Turkey will not attack me for that season (correct), Turkey will not get Serbia (correct). I'm up to 7 SCs now, which is a great improvement when compared to the threat of 3 SCs I started with. Austria destroys the unit on Serbia, though, which I do not like at all. I intended for that unit to have emotional significance for Austria, prolonging the conflict with Turkey.

[I shall add the remainder afterwards.]
Damon Huntington

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1341)
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby FloridaMan » 22 Jan 2018, 03:39

I'm looking forward to the rest. Riveting material so far!

~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Postby lb1785 » 25 Jan 2018, 10:29

FloridaMan wrote:I'm thinking about adding more stuff to this YouTube channel, if people are interested, such as my thoughts on Austrian opening strategy (Austria is the country I'm most likely to solo with), etc.

Please do add stuff on your channel, it's usually very interesting to hear from 2000+ ranked players, or their FtF peers!
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver Classicist
3-way draw as The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785

Standard rating: (1444)
All-game rating: (1450)
Timezone: GMT

Postby FloridaMan » 23 Jul 2020, 04:52

lb1785 wrote:
FloridaMan wrote:I'm thinking about adding more stuff to this YouTube channel, if people are interested, such as my thoughts on Austrian opening strategy (Austria is the country I'm most likely to solo with), etc.

Please do add stuff on your channel, it's usually very interesting to hear from 2000+ ranked players, or their FtF peers!

I am now adding stuff to my channel once more!

~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)