Questions

All the rules and rule-related threads.

Questions

Postby rick.leeds » 05 Aug 2014, 12:50

Any questions relating to the rules can be asked below.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Questions

Postby Kra » 12 Aug 2014, 15:12

Posting here but do you want them to be PM to you if game specific
Or evenplaced in narrative
Eg grey is strength of 20 on the cards and data list but is 10 on deal.

Also on my smart devices am havin trouble with map moving laterally from narrative
Is there another place or do I need to use a computer or something better than my apple4 .
Unfortunately my device is what gives me mobile access.
Kra

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1531)
All-game rating: (1553)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Kra » 14 Aug 2014, 14:03

Not aware that cities carried troop strength for controller. I like it and it seems historically appropriate.
Is it one tenth garrison?
Any more to explain on this topic?
Was this a mod from original and in later edition or for FTF tourney or forum play ?
Kra

Standard rating: (1531)
All-game rating: (1553)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 14 Aug 2014, 22:12

Kra wrote:Posting here but do you want them to be PM to you if game specific
Or evenplaced in narrative
Eg grey is strength of 20 on the cards and data list but is 10 on deal.

Also on my smart devices am havin trouble with map moving laterally from narrative
Is there another place or do I need to use a computer or something better than my apple4 .
Unfortunately my device is what gives me mobile access.

I think I answered this in the PM I sent you when you first brought it up. Grey's personal troop strength is (20). On the info I sent I DID say (10), which was an error on my part.

Not much I can do about the map, unfortunately, although I will see about storing them via gmail. If and when I can do that, I'll let everyone know. I could make the map smaller when I attach it but that causes it's own problems... much smaller and information will be lost.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Postby rick.leeds » 14 Aug 2014, 22:37

The troops added by some towns and cities are one of the rules I imported. I did write these rules as a mixture of Basic, Optional, Advanced and others, remember ;)

The only places that provide this are towns and cities in the Crown List. Those that are part of other awards, such as Canterbury for the Archbishop of Canterbury, or Dover to the Captain of Dover Castle, don't provide this bonus.

EDIT: I thought I had actually added this info under the Crown Deck thread, but I hadn't :oops: The info has been added in the Cities, Towns and Castle table. These troops are only for offence, not defence.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds

Postby franzjosefi » 17 Aug 2014, 15:49

So under the modified rules, Shrewsburry, for example has its garrison of 200 that really only come into play in sieges, in fact it is fair to say that this value of 200 in large part reflects the contribution of walls and other fortifications to the defense of the city. The town also also provides 20 men that won't leave their home in the Ke province but will participate in regular noble battles outside the city walls.

So effectively, the siege count for a standard unaligned city would be 200 and the siege count for an aligned city would be 220 and the extra 20 while defensive to the Ke province would also be added to a Noble's troop strength for battles while in Ke?

Or a completely different interpretation would be that the 20 soldiers could travel anywhere with their noble. Also a possibility.
Last edited by franzjosefi on 19 Aug 2014, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
franzjosefi

Standard rating: (2149)
All-game rating: (2193)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Elric Hazard » 19 Aug 2014, 10:21

I think that would maybe be counting those 20 men twice
The history of civilized man is but the history of his misery. All the pages of it are stained with blood. - Abbé Raynal 1781
Elric Hazard

Standard rating: (1179)
All-game rating: (1184)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby franzjosefi » 19 Aug 2014, 16:37

Additional questions regarding Sieges, control resulting from sieges, and Town fighting.

SIEGE

19. The GM checks a Battle Result and Battle Outcome:
- Unless the Battle Result is “Bad weather delays attack” the siege is successful. The location is captured by the attacker and all Nobles inside are captured.
- If the result is Bad Weather, the siege is postponed and the city, town or castle is “Under Siege” (see below).
- The Battle Result, other than Bad Weather, is ignored.
- If Nobles named in the Battle Outcome where in the space the Siege occurred, whether they participated in the defence of the Location or not, they are killed unless the siege was postponed.
20. If the Location is under siege, it cannot be attacked again until the Siege has been lifted or completed.
21. Any Nobles inside a location that is Under Siege may attempt to lift the siege on their turn. They can sally forth and battle the besieging forces as in Battle above. If they can successfully reduce the besieging force to less than equivalency (by killing a Noble in the Besieging force), the siege is broken.
22. Any Noble entering a space where a Location is Under Siege must battle the besieging force if they wish to enter the Location.
- If they win the battle, they may, if they wish, place the location Under Siege in the place of the original besieging force.
- Alternatively, they may enter the Location if they can.

How long does a siege take? Is it immediately resolved on the turn of the player that initiated it? Does it go on for the whole round and resolve on the player's next turn?

SIEGE
24. A captured Location immediately joins the Faction capturing it, except for an UNFORTIFIED TOWN or an OPEN TOWN, neither of which can be controlled.
25. If the Location was granted to a Faction via a Crown Item, the Item immediately transfers to the victorious Faction. Its offensive troops are not available. At or after the next Parliament, the controlling Faction may allocate the card to a Noble.

Is the transfer clause true of just the straight city cards that also grant the 20 troops or of any card granting a city or castle? Examples:
If Tickhill castle is taken by siege, does the Lord Audley card transfer? What happens to any offices or other cards held by Audley?
If Harlech is captured, does the victor get the office of Marshal of England?
How about with bishoprics, York is granted to the Archbishop of York?
Even more interesting is a card like Neville, Earl of Warwick. This card grants Ogmore, Richmond, Warwick, and Raby?

TOWN FIGHTING
30. Town fighting only occurs when:
(a) Nobles are in a city, town or castle that has become NEUTRAL or UNFRIENDLY.
(b) Nobles are forced into a NEUTRAL or UNFRIENDLY port which they cannot besiege.
(c) Two Factions are inside a city, town or castle and combat is ordered.
31. Town Fighting is always resolved like a normal Battle.
32. In situations (a) and (b) described above, the attacker must always engage the Garrison as well as the defender. If successful they capture the Location as in a siege.
33. In situations (b) and (c) described above, the controlling Faction may attack the Nobles forced into the situation. In this case the FACTION attacked does not need to attack on his turn.

So, say Richmond falls to siege and the faction has another noble and army stationed in Warwick. Assuming the Neville card is transferred to the victorious faction, now the noble in Warwick goes immediately into battle with the castle garrison?
How about a change of control resulting from a Crown draw? For example a faction besiges Coventry in the 2nd round of play and captures it. Later in the 5th round of play the Coventry card is drawn. Does control now transfer to the player that drew the card in round 5?
franzjosefi

Standard rating: (2149)
All-game rating: (2193)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Aug 2014, 17:19

franzjosefi wrote:So under the modified rules, Shrewsburry, for example has its garrison of 200 that really only come into play in sieges, in fact it is fair to say that this value of 200 in large part reflects the contribution of walls and other fortifications to the defense of the city. The town also also provides 20 men that won't leave their home in the Ke province but will participate in regular noble battles outside the city walls.

So effectively, the siege count for a standard unaligned city would be 200 and the siege count for an aligned city would be 220 and the extra 20 while defensive to the Ke province would also be added to a Noble's troop strength for battles while in Ke?

Or a completely different interpretation would be that the 20 soldiers could travel anywhere with their noble. Also a possibility.

The 20 troops that are assigned to a Noble are ONLY for those towns which are awarded through Crown Items. They are only used offensively, so no town can use them to add to its defence. The garrison for any town or city is ONLY what is stated.

The troops do indeed travel with the Noble, as such. They are a town levy, if you like. I'm not sure why the rules state that they are only offensive, but they are; that is something that I may look at in any future games.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Aug 2014, 18:00

franzjosefi wrote:Additional questions regarding Sieges, control resulting from sieges, and Town fighting.

SIEGE

19. The GM checks a Battle Result and Battle Outcome:
- Unless the Battle Result is “Bad weather delays attack” the siege is successful. The location is captured by the attacker and all Nobles inside are captured.
- If the result is Bad Weather, the siege is postponed and the city, town or castle is “Under Siege” (see below).
- The Battle Result, other than Bad Weather, is ignored.
- If Nobles named in the Battle Outcome where in the space the Siege occurred, whether they participated in the defence of the Location or not, they are killed unless the siege was postponed.
20. If the Location is under siege, it cannot be attacked again until the Siege has been lifted or completed.
21. Any Nobles inside a location that is Under Siege may attempt to lift the siege on their turn. They can sally forth and battle the besieging forces as in Battle above. If they can successfully reduce the besieging force to less than equivalency (by killing a Noble in the Besieging force), the siege is broken.
22. Any Noble entering a space where a Location is Under Siege must battle the besieging force if they wish to enter the Location.
- If they win the battle, they may, if they wish, place the location Under Siege in the place of the original besieging force.
- Alternatively, they may enter the Location if they can.

How long does a siege take? Is it immediately resolved on the turn of the player that initiated it? Does it go on for the whole round and resolve on the player's next turn?

They take as long as they take, simply.

When a Noble Lays Siege to a city, town or castle, the attacking strength HAS to be at least equal to the defensive strength of the Location, including any troops taking part in its defence inside the Location; if not, no siege may take place (see Combat Rule 18). A successful siege IMMEDIATELY allows the attacker into the Location. It is then over.

The only way a Siege may not succeed is is the Battle Result is "Bad Weather Delays Attack". This delays the battle for the Location and the Location is then Under Siege. This condition last until the attacking player's next turn... unless the Nobles in the castle successfully "sally forth" (launch a Battle against the attackers) and reduce the strength of the Besieging force to less than the defensive strength of the Location. This immediately ends the siege.

Similarly, if a new force enters the space, it may Battle the Besiegers. If it is successful, the siege is lifted and is immediately over.

Other than these two events, however, the Location remains Under Siege at least until the attacker's next turn. On this turn, it may be that the attacked moves his units away, ending the Siege. It may be that he attempts to capture the Location again, and the Battle Result ISN'T "Bad Weather", in which case the Siege ends. It may be, also, that the Battle Result is, again, ""Bad Weather", which would mean the Location is still Under Siege.

franzjosefi wrote:
SIEGE
24. A captured Location immediately joins the Faction capturing it, except for an UNFORTIFIED TOWN or an OPEN TOWN, neither of which can be controlled.
25. If the Location was granted to a Faction via a Crown Item, the Item immediately transfers to the victorious Faction. Its offensive troops are not available. At or after the next Parliament, the controlling Faction may allocate the card to a Noble.

Is the transfer clause true of just the straight city cards that also grant the 20 troops or of any card granting a city or castle? Examples:
If Tickhill castle is taken by siege, does the Lord Audley card transfer? What happens to any offices or other cards held by Audley?
If Harlech is captured, does the victor get the office of Marshal of England?
How about with bishoprics, York is granted to the Archbishop of York?
Even more interesting is a card like Neville, Earl of Warwick. This card grants Ogmore, Richmond, Warwick, and Raby?

Look at Transferables.

If a Location is captured, with the exceptions in (24), the control of those Locations goes to the victorious Faction. This does not affect in any way a Noble, Office, Title or Bishopric. It simply means the PLACE has been captured and is under the control of the victors.

Crown Item Locations ARE different in that, if the Crown Item is in play, the Noble that has it must surrender it. This is simply because one Faction cannot have captured and taken control of a place whilst another Noble has control of the Item and gets the benefit of the troops addition, for example.

franzjosefi wrote:
TOWN FIGHTING
30. Town fighting only occurs when:
(a) Nobles are in a city, town or castle that has become NEUTRAL or UNFRIENDLY.
(b) Nobles are forced into a NEUTRAL or UNFRIENDLY port which they cannot besiege.
(c) Two Factions are inside a city, town or castle and combat is ordered.
31. Town Fighting is always resolved like a normal Battle.
32. In situations (a) and (b) described above, the attacker must always engage the Garrison as well as the defender. If successful they capture the Location as in a siege.
33. In situations (b) and (c) described above, the controlling Faction may attack the Nobles forced into the situation. In this case the FACTION attacked does not need to attack on his turn.

So, say Richmond falls to siege and the faction has another noble and army stationed in Warwick. Assuming the Neville card is transferred to the victorious faction, now the noble in Warwick goes immediately into battle with the castle garrison?
How about a change of control resulting from a Crown draw? For example a faction besiges Coventry in the 2nd round of play and captures it. Later in the 5th round of play the Coventry card is drawn. Does control now transfer to the player that drew the card in round 5?

Noble cards and Nobles are non-transerable and are NOT handed over if they lose a home castle or a city associated with them. The same, by the way, for Offices, Titles and Bishoprics. The only time an Office may lose control of something is when a Ship is associated with an Office - Admiral of England and Warden of the Cinque Ports - and is captured following a Sea Battle. If this happens, the victor may Scuttle them, in which case they are removed from play until the Office is re-allocated from the Chancery or from the Crown Item Draw again, or they are controlled by the victor - but then they will transfer back to the Office-holder when they touch port again or, if the Office is no longer in play, remain under the control of the victor until the Office comes back into play... and are transferred when they next touch port (see Captured at Sea).

If a Location which is a Crown Item us under the control of another Faction when it is drawn, the Crown Item is held in the Reserve of the Faction that drew it. It wasn't in play when the Location was captured and it cannot be brought into play when it is drawn. Assuming the Item remains in Reserve, and isn't traded or transferred somehow, it can only be played if the Location is either captured by that Faction or the Location somehow becomes NEUTRAL (as a result of an Event Item, for instance).
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds

Next

Return to Rules