Password-protected game and surrender

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Password-protected game and surrender

Postby adebruyn666 » 18 May 2020, 21:10

Hi,

We're playing a game among friends. One surrendered, and was replaced by a new player, but no one knows who it is. Well, no one admits knowing who it is.

The game is password protected, so it's unlikely someone showed up without invitation, or guessed the password. Yet, the new player does not communicate, except a few short sentences in English (the whole game is French speaking) and posts his/her orders at off hours (we all live in Belgium, he posts at 4 AM).

The password protection does not disappear when someone surrenders, right?
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
User avatar
adebruyn666
Premium Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 21:29
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1809
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby V » 18 May 2020, 21:18

adebruyn666 wrote:Hi,

We're playing a game among friends. One surrendered, and was replaced by a new player, but no one knows who it is. Well, no one admits knowing who it is.

The game is password protected, so it's unlikely someone showed up without invitation, or guessed the password. Yet, the new player does not communicate, except a few short sentences in English (the whole game is French speaking) and posts his/her orders at off hours (we all live in Belgium, he posts at 4 AM).

The password protection does not disappear when someone surrenders, right?


Yes, the password does cease to function in a standard rank/norank game, when a surrender replacement occurs.
In a “friends” game it doesn’t, but it sounds like you are playing a ranked game amongst friends.
“Tournament” games now retain their password protection too, but not an ordinary ranked game.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 04 May 2014, 21:28
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby adebruyn666 » 18 May 2020, 22:44

Damn it. It means a stranger has joined our game.

Then we probably need to unrank 175691. "Massacre Masqué." (it's an anonymous game, but everybody knows that I play in it, so revealing my identity is not a big deal). Because we were all friends playing in the privacy of a password-protected game, we all agreed that some rules of the website could be bent:

- All negotiations in the game take place in French, and the game description did not mention it.
- Some players don't even speak English, which puts the newcomer as a distinct disadvantage.
- I haven't, but I suspect some of my friends have been negotiating outside the website interface (phone, etc.). Since none of us were at a disadvantage (we all know each other), I didn't really insist much to enforce that rule.

Now that we have someone outside our friends' circle, I think this is wrong to keep it ranked, and very unfair for the newcomer.

I'm sorry about that. We ignored the password-lifting rule. Otherwise we would have kept it a Friends game (we just wanted to spice it up).

Who should I write to to make the request?
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
User avatar
adebruyn666
Premium Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 21:29
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1809
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby V » 18 May 2020, 23:22

adebruyn666 wrote:Damn it. It means a stranger has joined our game.

Then we probably need to unrank 175691. "Massacre Masqué." (it's an anonymous game, but everybody knows that I play in it, so revealing my identity is not a big deal). Because we were all friends playing in the privacy of a password-protected game, we all agreed that some rules of the website could be bent:

- All negotiations in the game take place in French, and the game description did not mention it.
- Some players don't even speak English, which puts the newcomer as a distinct disadvantage.
- I haven't, but I suspect some of my friends have been negotiating outside the website interface (phone, etc.). Since none of us were at a disadvantage (we all know each other), I didn't really insist much to enforce that rule.

Now that we have someone outside our friends' circle, I think this is wrong to keep it ranked, and very unfair for the newcomer.

I'm sorry about that. We ignored the password-lifting rule. Otherwise we would have kept it a Friends game (we just wanted to spice it up).

Who should I write to to make the request?


PM any of the moderators & they can change a game to “friends” status to resolve most of the issues.
NoPunIn10Did is probably a good guy to contact & if he couldn’t fix it would definitely know who could.
Best of luck.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 04 May 2014, 21:28
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby adebruyn666 » 19 May 2020, 01:10

Thanks. Appreciated.
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
User avatar
adebruyn666
Premium Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 21:29
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1809
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby Jack007 » 19 May 2020, 02:10

I don't know if it's fair to do that. The substituent might have used his rating shield to enter a reputed ranked game. I think the best solution is that you kill him in the game.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
User avatar
Jack007
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: 08 Mar 2014, 17:34
Location: Greece (Galaxidi) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1545
All-game rating: 1681
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby adebruyn666 » 19 May 2020, 09:09

That's meta-gaming. Using our friendship to gang up against another player. This being said, that's what happening. He doesn't speak French, so he's a sitting duck... Not sure what to do.
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
User avatar
adebruyn666
Premium Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 21:29
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1809
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby Jack007 » 19 May 2020, 11:24

adebruyn666 wrote:That's meta-gaming. Using our friendship to gang up against another player. This being said, that's what happening. He doesn't speak French, so he's a sitting duck... Not sure what to do.


That's not metagaming. Who does not communicate properly, gets killed asap. An old wisdom in Diplomacy. :mrgreen:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
User avatar
Jack007
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: 08 Mar 2014, 17:34
Location: Greece (Galaxidi) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1545
All-game rating: 1681
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby condude1 » 19 May 2020, 22:19

Nah, it's metagaming if you team up on the guy that entered, adebruyn's right. The game shouldn't be ranked in the first place I think? In any case, shoot the mods a PM (you can vote on a pause in the meantime if you want!), and they'll tell you what to do! It's an innocent (and easy to make!) mistake, so they should be nice about it!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 7690
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Password-protected game and surrender

Postby adebruyn666 » 20 May 2020, 11:30

Agreed. I sent a PM to NoPunIn10Did and suggested to change this game to 'friends'

If another Mod reads this, feel free to jump in. :-)
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
User avatar
adebruyn666
Premium Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 21:29
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1809
Timezone: GMT+1


Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests