Intro: DB Cooper

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Intro: DB Cooper

Postby DB Cooper » 11 Apr 2020, 19:05

Hey everyone!
This is my first time on the site and i've never played the game. I'm familiarised with Monopoly which i love to play and consider myself pretty good at the game, other than that mainly chess and some draughts.

It does feel weird in trying something new, but looking forward to learning the game and how it works.
DB Cooper

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Intro: DB Cooper

Postby V » 11 Apr 2020, 19:22

DB Cooper wrote:Hey everyone!
This is my first time on the site and i've never played the game. I'm familiarised with Monopoly which i love to play and consider myself pretty good at the game, other than that mainly chess and some draughts.

It does feel weird in trying something new, but looking forward to learning the game and how it works.

Diplomacy is good. I started playing in 1970. I suggest you look to join a Mentor game to learn the mechanics & introduction to the rest. The diplomacy, strategy & tactics are learned by practice. Good luck & enjoy. Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby hedge trimmer » 11 Apr 2020, 20:28

Welcome!

I hope you'll like it. Diplomacy is much more about... diplomacy and negotiation than many other board games, even though it might seem like another strategy game where you push the pieces around and control areas. That's what makes it interesting, but also very frustrating sometimes. So don't be discouraged if you take a beating. Live and learn!

Mentor games are good, but if there aren't any available you can do some self-studying too in this thread: Link. The amount of material there is quite daunting, but I think you go through most of it little by little during a mentor game anyway.

The random online games can be a bit hit-or-miss too, and especially unranked games are prone to people abandoning their positions at the drop of a hat. Starting a thread on the forums advertising your game can be a good way to find more serious players though.
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1480
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Josey Wales » 11 Apr 2020, 22:03

Welcome to this site and the game of Diplomacy. I fell in love with this game back in History 12 - mid 80's ... wow dating myself. Keys to the game, develop a thick skin since you will be lied to, stabbed, abused and generally slapped about - and that is before the game even starts, LOL. Well, maybe not that bad but you will go through ups and downs.

Keep a stiff upper lip and hope to see you in a game some day.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Platinum Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1081
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Shyvve » 11 Apr 2020, 22:18

Wow, it's like this guy just dropped in outta a clear blue sky...

Welcome, DB Cooper!
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1313)
All-game rating: (1345)

Postby Josey Wales » 11 Apr 2020, 22:38

Shyvve wrote:Wow, it's like this guy just dropped in outta a clear blue sky...

Welcome, DB Cooper!

The best post of the day prize goes to Shyvve, I wish I had thought of that phrase. Come join a game that I am in or Shyvve is in and I promise you a VERY exhilarating experience. Just be careful of Shyvve, unlike me who ALWAYS tells the truth (pure as the driven snow I is), with the Shyvve you can count on 2 words out of 3 being outrageous lies and the 3rd highly suspect.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Josey Wales
Premium Member

Postby V » 11 Apr 2020, 23:52

Josey Wales wrote:
Shyvve wrote:Wow, it's like this guy just dropped in outta a clear blue sky...

Welcome, DB Cooper!

The best post of the day prize goes to Shyvve, I wish I had thought of that phrase. Come join a game that I am in or Shyvve is in and I promise you a VERY exhilarating experience. Just be careful of Shyvve, unlike me who ALWAYS tells the truth (pure as the driven snow I is), with the Shyvve you can count on 2 words out of 3 being outrageous lies and the 3rd highly suspect.

Shyvve runs Mentor games & he’s good at it. I know I was recently in one of his. An excellent game. Get Shyvve to run one & call it the DB Cooper Mentor game. He’s such a softy he’ll probably do it for you. As Josey said, he has been known to tell porkies, but nothing like an Australian (just can’t trust em, even to be careful with a cricket equipment, in case arson occurs :D ).
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827

Postby Josey Wales » 12 Apr 2020, 00:14

I resemble that remark there "V", I am both Australian and Canadian so I always lie and I always tell the truth - it just depends on which passport I happen to be holding when typing a message (or Public Post). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Agree on Shyvve who I would rank in the top 5 of Whopper Salesmen (or women) of the Year candidates (honourable mention to anyone who happens to be in a game with me at the moment - ye lying bastards).

Josey Wales
Premium Member

Postby Shyvve » 12 Apr 2020, 01:57

Now see, we've done gone and ruined poor DB's intro thread...again!
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1313)
All-game rating: (1345)

Postby Custer » 12 Apr 2020, 15:54

Damn Shyvve, sounds like you're getting quite the reputation as a scoundrel.

God bless Texas!

LoL

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1199

Next

Return to Players & Introductions