The Actual Board Game

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Re: The Actual Board Game

Postby asudevil » 04 Jul 2018, 23:29

David E. Cohen wrote:I am told by someone who says they do know who won the auction that the person who has the game wants to remain anonymous.

Fair enough. Is the name someone that is recognizable that is "worthy" of the game?
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby David E. Cohen » 05 Jul 2018, 04:31

I have absolutely no idea. But I am glad for Calhamer's family that it sold for so much. I actually thought it might go for more, since it is the holy grail of Dip collectibles.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby JimHacker » 01 Dec 2018, 03:22

I can't believe the present edition doesn't have even plastic pieces, but cardboard counters. Lame.
JimHacker

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 03 Dec 2018, 17:36

JimHacker wrote:I can't believe the present edition doesn't have even plastic pieces, but cardboard counters. Lame.

It stinks, but I imagine they're trying to target a particular price point. Cardboard tokens are WAY cheaper than plastic.

What they should have done was make the cardboard tokens fit into little transparent stands so that they're more easily viewable on the board. As there can never be more than 34 units on the board at a time, they wouldn't have needed a full complement of stands for each player.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby JimHacker » 14 Nov 2019, 18:06

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
JimHacker wrote:I can't believe the present edition doesn't have even plastic pieces, but cardboard counters. Lame.

It stinks, but I imagine they're trying to target a particular price point. Cardboard tokens are WAY cheaper than plastic.

What they should have done was make the cardboard tokens fit into little transparent stands so that they're more easily viewable on the board. As there can never be more than 34 units on the board at a time, they wouldn't have needed a full complement of stands for each player.

That would have been more logical. And easier to see probably. I've seen the cardboard one and there are the counters for the fleets and armies, but also other counters for ownership of the supply centers. Confusing. I'll stick to my vintage set for now.
JimHacker

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Lore