General Domestic Issues

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: Zander, chrisman39, mat.gopack

A State Visit

Postby kingpie3 » 29 Jun 2019, 19:53

monteshorre1.jpg
The first district upon entering Monte-shorre
monteshorre1.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 256 times

The city of Monte-shorre is visible from the highest towers of the Luminescent, capital of the Consortium's Entinates. As one sits on the gleaming balconies they would be able to see a dense patchwork of temples and statues to the east, with ruins interspersed between them. Many of the crumbling buildings had been built to scale the massive crater wall that surrounded the city but they clung aggressively to the terraced sections centuries after their abandonment. Though the Luminescent was Mars' holiest city as the beacon of the Janisist faith, Monte-shorre was its most spiritual, if such a distinction can be made. The first Janisists from southern France had codified the faith in a nearby marsh and the first Janisist nation would rise in ancient city shortly after.

"A fitting place for the Ichiji Seijin, Director Na'ast." Janisi Haatene said as the airship glided down to the imposing walls outside the city.

"Foreigners, even those of the Primadic faith, are rarely allowed in the city proper. Only the underground portion is home to any significant amount of outsiders, the majority of whom are priests and marabouts speaking with the Synod." the director replied. "This is the best place to bring the first Terran Janisist head of state."

"And hopefully not the last." the Janisi quickly followed. "The turn of the Asterians toward theocracy was unexpected but the nonchalance of the Terran community toward the dissolution of their government meant any outcome was possible. This opens up many future opportunities, hence my delight when the Ichiji Seijin proposed a formal state visit."

"The Asterians have been eager to garner allies and grow their influence for decades. The Ichiji Seijin no doubt expects stronger ties to come out of this meeting, perhaps even an alliance."

"Which I would be eager to reciprocate once I understand what their long term intentions are." the Janisi said. "We are a growing power, Director Na'ast. But we do not yet rival the Big 3 nor can we compromise our faith to achieve our goals."

"Of course, Janisi Haatene," the Director states resolutely. "The rekibon has landed, we are to await the Ichiji Seijin and then take him to the festival, no?"

"Yes, the griots were already sent ahead to make the final preparations and prepare our garbs."

The Janisi and Director walked down the platform after the airship was properly docked at the dusty station in front of the crater wall. With her security detail in formation, they made their way to the landing port where the Ichiji Seijin's vessel would land in a few minutes.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: General Domestic Issues

Postby RedSun » 30 Jun 2019, 05:18

beadsman wrote:For centuries, Ceona has been a safe haven for all political refugees. This has nothing to do with how the Latin Empire views any of these individuals station or political views. While here, the Duohongs are no longer nobility. They are simply treated as any citizens seeking asylum here. Ceona neither condones not condemns the political ideals of the Duohongs. We as a nation have eliminated our own nobility. They were not executed, but they simply had their titles removed. As such, the Duohongs will be treated in much the same way, as nobility has no place in the Empire.

We will not, however, break the sacred trust we have been given to defend those who wish to start a new life. You will not have the Duohongs, but you can rest easy knowing they can no longer take advantage of others. It is simply not an option here. We kindly request that this trust be respected. They have been dealt with, and will no longer harm the Asterian people.

Akihiro Kato has let this issue die out and many in the Shingikai have simply stopped addressing the issue.

However, Seijin Kenji Morita did not take to this kindly. At a rally he announced:

MORITA: “The Cyonians claim that the Duohong’s have been dealt with. But have they been? No!
The Cyonians claim that the Duohong’s should have the same punishment as their nobility. But is that true? No!
The people of the Holy State have a right to be mad at the Duohong’s for what they’ve done. Instead of them paying for their crimes they are sheltered by a regime from justice. The Duohong’s are not the same as the Cyonian nobility. They became kings of Asteria because of Venus and Mobius who put them there. They were foreign puppets who took from the Asterian people and never gave back. Now they should pay!
So who is denying us the right to deal with our abusers?”

CROWD: “Cyon”

MORITA: “Who believes that they can undermine our justice system and consider their verdict just when they were not abused by the Duohong’s self indulgence for centuries?”

CROWD: “Cyon”

MORITA: “Cyon, I accuse you of undermining the legal systems of the Holy State. Cyon, I accuse you of sanctioning the abuse of the Asterian people. Cyon, I accuse you. Death to Cyon!”

CROWD: [in increasing volume] “Death to Cyon!
Death to Cyon!
Death to Cyon!
Death to Cyon!”

Many Seijin have stayed silent on the matter following the lead of Ichiji Seijin Akihiro Kato. Seijins Akako Watanabe and Masahiro Fujita have voiced their opposition to Morita’s rhetoric saying it does not do good to demonize other countries willing to open up. However, Seijin Rei Yamazaki has come out supporting Morita saying that if a country is willing to undermine the Declarations of the Holy State when it is an internal matter than the country is disrespect the Holy State’s national sovereignty and isnt much of a friend at all.

Still without the support of the Ichiji Seijin it would take 7 Seijin to do anything against Cyon and with only two being openly opposed to Cyon there seems to be little chance that anything will be done.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby beadsman » 30 Jun 2019, 15:46

Consider this a warning:

We the people of the Latin Empire will overlook this slight for the time being. However, any further threats against the security of the Latin Empire or its citizens will not be dealt with so kindly. Any attempt to undermine our security will be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. We do not take kindly to threats against our security and well-being. You have been warned: out of friendship, we will terrain from retribution. However, your leaders should watch their tongues in the future if the want to avoid an international incident.

(OOC: I expected this kind of reaction, but Ceona has become a very security-oriented state. It's also pretty xenophobic and isolated. To stay true to character, they had to respond in a very forceful way to such threats. Honestly, it would probably be more in character for them to just assassinate those two leaders, but I figured I didn't want to overdo it. OOC I'm totally cool with it.)
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

Postby jonisilk » 01 Jul 2019, 02:07

The following is part of an over-heard conversation between two governing body Members.

T - So, this new Holy State is a bit of a departure, and Cyon have their backs-up again.

S - Well, Cyon is as Cyon does

T - Aren’t they the Latin Empire now?

S - Yeah, but it doesn’t have the quite the same ring to it, “Latin Empire is as Latin Empire does”, is a bit of a mouthful.

T - “Holy State” rolls off the tongue quite nicely though. Shame about the loss of democracy.

S - Yeah, that has the IWA a little agitated too.

T - I think they may have a bit of an image problem.

S - Who? The Holy State or the IWA?

T - No I mean Cyon.

S - How do you mean?

T - Everyone is viewing them as a potentially loose canon, when the truth of the matter is that they haven’t actually struck out at anyone since… well, It’s been a while, lets put it that way. They aren’t so much a coiled-viper, ready to strike.

S - No?

T - No. They’re more like a hedgehog - a curled up ball of spikes that really just wants to be left alone, but is overly sensitive and liable to hurt to anyone that touches it’s bristles.

S - So what’s the Holy State?

T - As I said, a shame for democracy, but still a very large market, with fantastic revenue streams and earning potential. It would be a shame to see the divide between them and the IWA widen.

S - Very true, I always admired the organisation, but we couldn’t commit to membership precisely because this kind of adversarial relationship with another nation was all but destined to transpire, and Asteria - my apologies, the Holy State - being one of the nations the Corporation has already had major dealings with… well, it would be unthinkable for us to throw away so many decades of friendship and collaboration.

T - Perhaps we should invite everyone around for a sit-down in Manaus, and see if we can’t get it all worked out before things get any messier.

S - If the Holy State can make a few adjustments here and there, to keep the other members happy, then I see no reason why the IWA couldn’t continue to go from strength to strength.

OOC: not actually planning to hold any talks unless people want to, but in the interest of internal consistency, I'm putting it out there
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Subotai45 » 01 Jul 2019, 03:42

I’m going to ignore the Cyon bit solely because I’m in Kentucky and can’t carry on any but the most basic argument that will last two posts over two days.

But the holy state isn’t an IWA member, it’s not democratic and so it can’t and never will be until that happens. The IWA does not support the unelected rulers of the former Asteria. The upf has no problem with them fighting Cyon though, monarchs really do deserve to be beheaded if we’re speaking frankly.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby RedSun » 01 Jul 2019, 03:58

beadsman wrote:Consider this a warning:

We the people of the Latin Empire will overlook this slight for the time being. However, any further threats against the security of the Latin Empire or its citizens will not be dealt with so kindly. Any attempt to undermine our security will be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. We do not take kindly to threats against our security and well-being. You have been warned: out of friendship, we will terrain from retribution. However, your leaders should watch their tongues in the future if the want to avoid an international incident.

(OOC: I expected this kind of reaction, but Ceona has become a very security-oriented state. It's also pretty xenophobic and isolated. To stay true to character, they had to respond in a very forceful way to such threats. Honestly, it would probably be more in character for them to just assassinate those two leaders, but I figured I didn't want to overdo it. OOC I'm totally cool with it.)

MORITA: “Can you believe what the Cyonians have said? I quote them ‘your leaders should watch their tongues’. The arrogance of them after undermining our judicial process to say that we shouldn’t be upset and that we slighted them. Can you believe it? They said we slighted them after protecting criminals from our justice system! Can you believe it?”

CROWD: No!

MORITA: “They slighted us and they were lucky that Ichiji Seijin Kato is still willing to talk to them after that! But then they have the gall to issue a threat to us. Even after we were so nice to them! Ungrateful scum!”

ONE WOMAN: “We love you Seijin Morita!”

MORITA: “I love you too! I love this country! I love this people! I love this faith! I love The Holy State! You know what I don’t love?”

CROWD: What?

MORITA: “Ungrateful rulers of despotic countries who undermine our justice system, threaten our leaders and disrespect this country that I love: The Holy State!”

CROWD: [cheering]

MORITA: “You know what? They told us to watch our tongues… I don’t think I will. Death to Cyon!”

CROWD: [one loud roar] “Death to Cyon!”
Groups:
RedSun

Postby beadsman » 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

In an OOC sense, Jon pretty much got the idea %100 correct about what I am going for. The new regime is internally awful, highly paranoid, and extremely isolationist.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)

Postby RedSun » 02 Jul 2019, 01:28

Declaration #20
June 24th, 4838

All drinks save for tea and water are prohibited.
Abortion is prohibited except for in the case of medically diagnosed issues.

Declaration #22
July 15th, 4838

A man of high national credit may marry multiple women of lower national credit.
If he is successful in raising the national credit of one to a level of 700 or above then he may have another. Up until 5 wives.
Divorce is now illegal.
Marriage is now between a man and his women.

In response to some of the new social restrictions some protests have occurred in the cities. They are relatively small but still fierce. While women’s groups, homosexual groups and human rights groups all protested one group stood out for their lack of seriousness for the events calling themselves The Protectors of Culture. On their shirts they wrote: You can take away abortion, you can take away marriage rights, but what you better not do is take away our rights to get wasted and have fun!
Groups:
RedSun

Postby kingpie3 » 02 Jul 2019, 02:06

The Jan'isi of the Consortium's Entinates would like to make it known that there are no prohibitions on gay marriage, alcoholic beverages, abortion, or divorce in the Valajis Cula, the holy book of the Janisist faith. Such things are very much normalized in the Entinates and a part of the significant freedoms provided to citizens. Janisism is one of the most liberal faiths in the entirety of Sol's history and the beliefs of one sect do not necessarily reflect the conventional positions of the faith's creators or modern practitioners.
The Techabaun Federation in CYOC

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
- Jimmy Carter
kingpie3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Subotai45 » 02 Jul 2019, 02:40

kingpie3 wrote:The Jan'isi of the Consortium's Entinates would like to make it known that there are no prohibitions on gay marriage, alcoholic beverages, abortion, or divorce in the Valajis Cula, the holy book of the Janisist faith. Such things are very much normalized in the Entinates and a part of the significant freedoms provided to citizens. Janisism is one of the most liberal faiths in the entirety of Sol's history and the beliefs of one sect do not necessarily reflect the conventional positions of the faith's creators or modern practitioners.

The Janisist Conclave of Venus and the Outer Reaches joins their Martian coreligionists in denouncing the reactionary movements away from the true and liberating faith of Jansis.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country