Who wins player of the year?

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Who wins player of the year?

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 25 Jun 2019, 19:03

Personally I'd probably give it to Rob. If the absences were genuine unavoidable absences as they seem to be, he played best so should probably get the trophy imo. My own personal threshold is 2/3 attendance which he meets, so it'd be an easy decision for me. My criteria/preferences might be different than yours though.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 25 Jun 2019, 19:18

For future seasons, I really would consider making a policy along the lines of "End of year awards are primarily based on players' performance in their best 10 games" or something of the like. This would be especially helpful if you have to come up with multiple awards, rather than just a single MVP award.

That type of scheme works quite well for the Dixiecon tournament, where everyone's final score is based on their best two games out of three possible rounds. It means that a player who cannot be present for one of the rounds can still potentially compete, and a player that can be there for all three can drop their lowest score. It provides a lot of flexibility for differing schedules while still potentially rewarding players that can commit the full time.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby WarSmith » 25 Jun 2019, 21:54

Matt has a far superior name. Winner.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby AKFD » 26 Jun 2019, 04:00

The O wrote:How about you give them each an essay questions? Something like, "Tell me when a Lepanto has worked for you and why" - or "Should Germany ever attack Austria before 1903". I think it would be clear based on their responses who the most worthy player is.

That is a cool suggestion.
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 764
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby joe92 » 26 Jun 2019, 10:44

For those asking. The trophy will be going to Matt.

The O wrote:How about you give them each an essay questions? Something like, "Tell me when a Lepanto has worked for you and why" - or "Should Germany ever attack Austria before 1903". I think it would be clear based on their responses who the most worthy player is.

:lol: Haha, maybe I should do that...

NoPunIn10Did wrote:For future seasons, I really would consider making a policy along the lines of "End of year awards are primarily based on players' performance in their best 10 games" or something of the like. This would be especially helpful if you have to come up with multiple awards, rather than just a single MVP award.

That type of scheme works quite well for the Dixiecon tournament, where everyone's final score is based on their best two games out of three possible rounds. It means that a player who cannot be present for one of the rounds can still potentially compete, and a player that can be there for all three can drop their lowest score. It provides a lot of flexibility for differing schedules while still potentially rewarding players that can commit the full time.

That's actually a pretty neat suggestion. In this case there's still a dilemma in what to do with the additional 2 games which Rob didn't play though, but I think Woolgie's suggestion is the fairest way of dealing with that.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Jun 2019, 14:54

The 10 is an arbitrary number, to be clear. It could just as was be 8.
If one adopts such a scheme, normally a player who doesn’t play the requisite games would be treated as having total losses on the games missing.

Regarding Woolgie’s suggestion, there’s a similar methodology used in statistics called a Bayesian Average. IMDB uses it for their top 250 movies rankings. Instead of using some function of the individual player’s average to fill in games, however, you’d instead want to use the performance average of the team as a whole as the basis. It generally means that players with fewer games are pulled to the center of the pack.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby Custer » 26 Jun 2019, 15:49

Bravo Joe, bravo!

:D

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NJLonghorn » 26 Jun 2019, 18:15

Rob's value to the team for the games he misses is the expected number of wins by a typical replacement player. Because the typical replacement player will be the first guy on the bench (as opposed to someone who is otherwise already playing), giving Rob credit for the "average" result is unduly generous.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby Custer » 27 Jun 2019, 15:33

Right, probably 33% would be better.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby marotta » 28 Jul 2019, 17:25

I think it pays to have an objective definition of "Player of the Year." Otherwise why not just give the award to whoever you like best.

Alternately have two awards when definitions differ

Rob has played 8/12 games and in those games won 23/24 rubbers (95.8% win). Most winning percentage.
Matt has played 12/12 games and in those games won 29/36 rubbers (80.6% win). Most games won.

I would give the award to Matt.
Normally you get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and zero points for a loss or not showing up.
The idea being that you lose all the games you don't show up for.
That's what it means to be on a team.
You can still acknowledge Rob's accomplishment.
Regards,

David John Marotta
marotta
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1892

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic