Changing from Inbox to Sent

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Changing from Inbox to Sent

Postby V » 16 Sep 2018, 23:18

Might just be me using IPad & IOS but the number of times I am losing messages (if I forget to save draft) & the system crashes when I hit the “sent” button is unbelievable. Doesn’t look nearly as robust as the old system...
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1718)
All-game rating: (1754)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Changing from Inbox to Sent

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Sep 2018, 07:22

Yuk. What do you mean by the system crashes? Are you saying you click Send the game crashes and the message is lost? In other words, it does not appear in your outbox when you look? And when you say 'crashed', what message if any do you get?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 17 Sep 2018, 13:29

I write a message & hit send. The message leaves the screen, but as a telltale the small “message sent” confirmation does not appear afterwards.
In the past I can remember that hitting the “back” button recovered my message & I would then “save draft” in case bad things happen, but that doesn’t work anymore.

I hit “sent” to see whether what I just wrote appears in the list of sent messages. I get “safari cannot contact the server”. That happens to me quite often when I want to switch between seeing inbox & seeing sent.

When I finally go back to the game, open messages, get the sent button to work, the message doesn’t appear anywhere & I know a rewrite is called for...

I must add that yesterday I had nightmare connection issues which are unusual from my internet provider, so the root cause of the problem could be connection related, but still to loose the message entirely rather than before when I could recover using the back button is frustrating. I now save draft pretty much every time before hitting send, to avoid rewrites.

Good luck. This is not much of a description to track down a problem, but the best I could do,

Thanks V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Sep 2018, 15:13

Hmm. That may help actually. One of th epoints of the new system is if you do not have connectivity it does not close the message window when you click send but warns you the connectio is lost and you can then try again later. So all the message is kept. It may be that the mechanism for checking the connection is still there does not work the same on mobile Safari. I know we have had a lot of problems with Mobile Safari due to the fact mobile Safari is not standard in its design, but I had not heard of this one. I will take a look and play around a bit. But certainly the new system SHOULD detect the lack of connection and not close the window.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby V » 17 Sep 2018, 15:40

In case it helps the IOS ver. is 11.4.1
Typically of Safari I can’t work out how to find the version! If you can tell me how I’ll find that too :lol:

Update; I just found out that IOS does not provide a way to find the Safari version. The Safari version is automatically updated when IOS gets it’s version update. Looks like someone pretty controlling is in charge of updates...

Second Update; Today my Internet connection is little better. I wrote a message, hit save draft, the message left the screen & I didn’t get the “draft message was saved” confirmation. Sure enough when I hit “open draft” the draft message was not the one I had attempted to save, but an old one.

I now have to switch to the map, hit refresh to ensure I have a reasonable connection at this moment, then quickly hit send on the message screen & pray it goes to the recipient, instead of vanishing into the ether. I wish the “back” button worked like in the “good old days”.

Best of luck Super
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Sep 2018, 21:56

Ahah! OK, I am on the trail.

The whole point is that in order to protect from exactly what you are seeing, there is some code that checks first to see if the connection is there, and if not it keeps the window open and tells you to try again later. But you are not seeing that. And I can reporduce it on my iPad with Safari. So NOW I can work out what naughty old Safari is doing that stops it working!

I will take a look tomorrow. As a bypass, I tried with Firefox on iPad and it sees the connection is dead. Once the connection is restored, the back button brings it back. But I fully understand you may not want to use FF, so rest assured I will pursue a fix.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby V » 18 Sep 2018, 02:14

That is great. So nice when enough bits of information manage to point the finger at the source of the problem :D
You’ve mentioned Safari before as causing issues, but I’ve got used to it now & reluctant to switch, especially if you can correct their sins. Thanks as always.
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Sep 2018, 06:10

:oops: Ah. I see. The code that checks the connection...is in the menu-based ordering window, but never made it to the messaging one....<cough>

Working on it. I think I can make it so if the connection isn't there, the window stays so you can then go back (or retry) when the connection is back, hence saving retyping etc. And yes of course if you like Safari you should be able to use it. It is simply a developer moan because it means you have to do special things for Safari all the time, since it is odd, but that should be nothing to do with you as a user! It should all be transparent to you :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Sep 2018, 06:35

OK. I hope this will be better now.

What you should now see is if you have actually lost connection, the message create page will remain with an alert to say that the connection has been lost and asking you to try again. Nothing should be lost of the text you have entered. If the connection is intermittent I am not totally sure how it will appear, it will either work as I just said or it may be your iPad will see the connection has gone but you can still then back up. Hopefully you will not need to back up though because as long as the alert appears from our code, your window and text will stay there. The window should only disappear if the message is actually sent.

Let me know if it still doesn;t work though.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby V » 18 Sep 2018, 13:09

Many Thanks Super. I’ll get back to you. We can probably rely on Costa Rican internet to provide a test run quite soon. It is reliably unreliable :lol:
Platinum Classicist
V

Return to Bugs