protection from relegation

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

protection from relegation

Postby NJLonghorn » 01 May 2018, 20:07

I just learned that a 4th player has withdrawn from League 2. Not surprisingly, all 4 of them are near or below the cut line. Because the subs for those 4 are protected from relegation, dead middle of League 2 (11th out of 21) is likely to get relegated. And if there are four more withdrawals, there could a player who gets promoted AND relegated in the same season.

I understand the reason for protecting subs from relegation. But at some point, we may have to reconsider.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: protection from relegation

Postby boldblade » 01 May 2018, 20:39

Yeah that could get weird. I wonder.... I'm pretty sure I read somewhere an idea of reducing the number of relegations. Maybe that would be a good solution for this. Seemed like the guy that brought it up had really good points but his idea didn't get a fair shake first time around. Maybe this newly considered challenge would help his case.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NJLonghorn » 01 May 2018, 20:43

boldblade wrote:Yeah that could get weird. I wonder.... I'm pretty sure I read somewhere an idea of reducing the number of relegations. Maybe that would be a good solution for this. Seemed like the guy that brought it up had really good points but his idea didn't get a fair shake first time around. Maybe this newly considered challenge would help his case.

It has been suggested in various places, including this thread. Also, Mike took a survey iirc. I think the idea has received a "fair shake" but no conclusion has been reached. It will be readdressed at the end of the season.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby boldblade » 01 May 2018, 20:48

Oh yes that is the one. Thank you for helping me find it. Maybe this new information will swing the ongoing vote a little.
boldblade

Postby Iggy » 01 May 2018, 21:23

reducing relaxation would penalized those in division 3 for nothing they have done. The protection put in is presumably to make it easier to find a sub but I thought that was kind of an odd idea to do. Particularly anyone that replaced someone early in the season. If you were a game 1 replacement and had 3 more games to go, then relegation is on the person that joined more than whoever they replaced. And if you are a late season replacement that was definitely going to get relegated, you then are penalizing someone that played the whole season and did so well.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby boldblade » 01 May 2018, 21:49

Perhaps all further needed replacements in the top two leagues should come from a lower league. Could get complicated though. I still the "penalty" of not getting a promotion is pretty light and that reducing the number of relegations would be a great way to curb this issue.
boldblade

Postby greggybear » 01 May 2018, 22:18

boldblade wrote:Perhaps all further needed replacements in the top two leagues should come from a lower league. Could get complicated though. I still the "penalty" of not getting a promotion is pretty light and that reducing the number of relegations would be a great way to curb this issue.

My understanding was that this was already the rule?

Quoting the rules:

- first contentious point coming up. Should a member be DQ'd from a higher league (as of writing we only have 2), then the current leader of the division immediately below will be asked if they would like to be promoted mid season. Again if possible they will join an active game (so potentially could be playing a league 1 and 2 match simultaneously although this won't cause issues other than high workload!). The above point remains; they will start on 0 points and be exempt from relegation.
- the same process above will then be used to fill their slot in the lower league. The division immediately below first (if we have 3 or more divisions), followed by a PM to the stand by list, followed by a post in the Find A Game section of the forum (appreciate new members join all the time).
greggybear

Standard rating: (1568)
All-game rating: (1594)

Postby boldblade » 01 May 2018, 22:27

Yes I read that as well (after joining the league) but it has not been followed most likely for administrative reasons. Also, my suggestion was not that they get promoted midseason but that they fill-in midseason which may seem like a minor difference but I don't think it is. I suggest they fill-in so that promotions/relegations can still be determined by performance in their initial league. This would be a problem if they fill in and do really well in the higher league but there are a lot weird things that can happen if we do this and we will have to accept trade-offs.
boldblade

Postby Iggy » 01 May 2018, 22:57

boldblade wrote:Perhaps all further needed replacements in the top two leagues should come from a lower league. Could get complicated though. I still the "penalty" of not getting a promotion is pretty light and that reducing the number of relegations would be a great way to curb this issue.

what do you mean it would be light? if you've earned your promotion, not getting it would suck. that's not "pretty light".
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby boldblade » 01 May 2018, 23:11

Maybe it is just me but if the bar is being raised and it is harder to make and I no longer make the new cut line I would not be that upset about it. I would be disappointed no doubt but I don't see the downside of this being that big.
boldblade

Next

Return to PDL suggestions