Alien Infection Mafia (in signups in Pending Games thread)

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Alien Infection Mafia (in signups in Pending Games thread)

Postby kimpossible » 17 Jan 2018, 23:31

So I'm working on an idea, with some assistance from ZZ and excellent balancing help from MS0.

Rules

The game begins with 2 Aliens and 8 Humans. Humans will become Infected during the game, but they are still humans.

1) Every day the Humans choose someone to shoot. Votes must be in at least large red text; nicknames and misspellings will count. The victim's alignment and infection status will be revealed upon death. Self-voting is allowed, No Lynch is not a valid vote. Ties will be settled by random selection.

2) The Aliens' goal is to spread infection.
    2.1 - There are no night kills. Instead, Aliens infect Humans.
    2.2 - Aliens choose their targets for the NEXT night during the night phase. I.e., their N0 target will become infected N1. Humans are not informed when they become infected.
    2.3 - The first target is chosen N0. The second target is chosen N1. Infections are permanent, and each Infected human is owned by one Alien. Each Alien may only have one Infected human.
    2.4 - If an alien's target is shot during the following day, they select a new target that night, who will become infected the following night.
    2.5 - If an Infected human is shot, their Alien owner selects a new target that night, who will become Infected the following night.
    2.6 - If an Alien is shot, their Infected human also dies.
    2.7 - Aliens communicate via mental telephathy (in other words, they will have day chat).

3) The Humans win when both Aliens have been shot.

4) The Aliens win when the number of living Aliens plus living Infected humans outnumber the living healthy Humans.

5) The edge case where only 1 Alien and 1 healthy Human (no Infected) are left in the game will be a draw.

Days will begin at 6 pm EST (11 pm GMT) and last 72 hours, night phases will last 24 hours. End Day votes will be accepted and will end the day immediately upon reaching unanimity. Otherwise play may continue until the GM ends the day.

No editing or deleting posts, and no copying GM communications on pain of modkill.

Gladly taking input on any balance issues people see.
Last edited by kimpossible on 05 Mar 2018, 15:58, edited 63 times in total.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Alien Infection Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 17 Jan 2018, 23:56

Infection status would be revealed on death. Humans should know how close they are to losing.

Updated in rules.
Last edited by kimpossible on 18 Jan 2018, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 18 Jan 2018, 00:02

Sounds fun to me. Vaguely reminds me of Plague Mafia but this seems more balanced.

I'm assuming that if someone infected dies then they don't count anymore, right? So scum will want to infect townie people, because the townie ones are less likely to die.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
Nanook wrote:C O W A R D
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby kimpossible » 18 Jan 2018, 00:08

shadowface wrote:Sounds fun to me. Vaguely reminds me of Plague Mafia but this seems more balanced.

I'm assuming that if someone infected dies then they don't count anymore, right? So scum will want to infect townie people, because the townie ones are less likely to die.

Correct. Infected have to be alive to count for an alien victory.
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 18 Jan 2018, 00:51

Starting numbers further resolved in updated rules.
Last edited by kimpossible on 18 Jan 2018, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
kimpossible

Postby Nanook » 18 Jan 2018, 03:56

This looks fun. I would play. I don't have anything more constructive to add at this point in time.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby kimpossible » 26 Jan 2018, 16:31

Bunch of rules tweaked. Feeling like I might be close to asking sjg to stick this in the schedule.
kimpossible

Postby Zoomzip » 26 Jan 2018, 16:40

I almost don't want to ask some questions because I think I see some room for mafia sided hi jinx and asking the question would give that away potentially...

But if I read these rules right, Aliens need to have one of their kind deaded. Which is a cool dynamic, but does that tip the balance to the town essentially? In other words, for aliens to win, they MUST allow the town at least one shot at winning the game.

Oh no... wait! I get it, because they could have two infections, two live aliens, and then let one alien go down in a vote. At which point: Aliens win via correct Vote!

That is crazy.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby kimpossible » 26 Jan 2018, 16:51

Zoomzip wrote:I almost don't want to ask some questions because I think I see some room for mafia sided hi jinx and asking the question would give that away potentially...

But if I read these rules right, Aliens need to have one of their kind deaded. Which is a cool dynamic, but does that tip the balance to the town essentially? In other words, for aliens to win, they MUST allow the town at least one shot at winning the game.

Oh no... wait! I get it, because they could have two infections, two live aliens, and then let one alien go down in a vote. At which point: Aliens win via correct Vote!

That is crazy.

Hmmmm. 2 aliens + 2 infected + 1 human could go:

1 alien + 2 infected + 1 human, they can vote out the alien for a town win, vote out the human for an alien win, or vote out the infected and it's still an alien win. So it's a weird MYLO.

Or could go 2 aliens + 1 infected + 1 human, if they kill the infected the aliens don't infect the remaining human that night, but they can the next night. Hmmm. I might need to make 2 aliens and only 1 live human a town victory, otherwise that's looking a little scumsided.
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 26 Jan 2018, 16:53

I suppose simple solution is that an alien death also demoralizes them and they don't get an infection that night. How's that look?
kimpossible

Next

Return to In Development