Writing support orders

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Writing support orders

Postby dwjskol » 15 Dec 2017, 22:23

This is covered somewhere I'm sure but bear with me in new here.

This is about the point and click.

Here's a hypothetical using Austria.

A Vie S A tri-tyr
A tri-tyr

If I want A Bud S Vie in case of a supported attack from opposing A gal & boh on Vie. How do I wite that?

I click bud support vie but then it wants to know where. If I choose vie then its supporting a vie hold, but vie is not holding it's supporting tri-tyr. My only other choice is click support vie to move to somewhere. It doesn't give an option to support someone who is supporting someone else

Does that make sense? What am I not seeing correctly? Do I not understand the support rule correctly?

Thanks for clarification
dwjskol

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1191)
All-game rating: (1195)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Writing support orders

Postby Damon Huntington » 15 Dec 2017, 22:43

Your set of orders would be the following:

A Trieste MOVES Tyrolia
A Vienna SUPPORTS A Trieste MOVES Tyrolia
A Budapest SUPPORTS Vienna HOLDS

When a support order is cut, it automatically converts to a HOLD order (Check the "Cutting Support" header here - https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Diplomacy/Rules). Therefore, in order to support Vienna to hold in the event of an attack, the last movement should be a support to hold.
Damon Huntington

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1341)
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby dwjskol » 16 Dec 2017, 00:22

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I appreciate the help.
dwjskol

Standard rating: (1191)
All-game rating: (1195)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Malarky » 16 Dec 2017, 12:21

Simpler than that, even. A unit ordered to support is also holding, ie it isn't moving anywhere. So, in this case, whether A Vie is attacked (and its support cut) or not, it can still be supported to hold.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Visit The Embassy, a Diplomacy blog.
Read Perfidious Issue 3.
Malarky
Premium Member

Standard rating: (941)
All-game rating: (1066)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jegpeg » 16 Dec 2017, 13:17

Nibbler wrote:Simpler than that, even. A unit ordered to support is also holding, ie it isn't moving anywhere. So, in this case, whether A Vie is attacked (and its support cut) or not, it can still be supported to hold.

This is the correct way of thinking about it.

You support a fleet that is ordered to convoy in exactly the same way, and the support works and the convoy succeeds for example:

England
F NTH C Yor-Bel
F ENC S NTH Hold

Germany
F Den - Nth
F Hol S Den-NTH

Results in the convoy succeeding and Germany's attack on NTH failing 2v2.
Jegpeg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions