anonymity

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

anonymity

Postby NJLonghorn » 28 Nov 2017, 18:44

Suggestion: Standings should not be published until the end. To prevent players from compiling standings on their own, players' identity should be anonymous for all games, communications, and AARs.

Justification: At the end of the season, meta-strategy will be rampant. Rather than (or in addition to) winning, players will often have an incentive to make sure a particular opponent does not win. This will distort and potentially ruin the ebb and flow of the game.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: anonymity

Postby mjparrett » 28 Nov 2017, 19:19

Again thanks for the question. I'm leaning towards disregarding.

1. Part of the attraction for me is the league effect and players factoring in the table. No different from the PDET that has been run recently. I agree there is a meta-gaming danger here because there is every chance you will be directly playing someone you are next to in the league. But I think this is part and parcel of it to be honest.
2. More importantly though is the admin. If nothing else, I would know who had how many points. I would know who was in each game. Once a game is finished the results are visible (games don't stay anon) so it would be REALLY hard to do. And open to so much fixing by me that my integrity would get called into question. And to re-iterate now, I WILL be playing in this league and not merely organising.

This one might have more feedback though so I will await any other posts with interest.

Mike
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 28 Nov 2017, 20:02

mjparrett wrote:Again thanks for the question. I'm leaning towards disregarding.

1. Part of the attraction for me is the league effect and players factoring in the table. No different from the PDET that has been run recently. I agree there is a meta-gaming danger here because there is every chance you will be directly playing someone you are next to in the league. But I think this is part and parcel of it to be honest.
2. More importantly though is the admin. If nothing else, I would know who had how many points. I would know who was in each game. Once a game is finished the results are visible (games don't stay anon) so it would be REALLY hard to do. And open to so much fixing by me that my integrity would get called into question. And to re-iterate now, I WILL be playing in this league and not merely organising.

This one might have more feedback though so I will await any other posts with interest.

Mike

I'd agree with you, Parrart. Leaning towards disagreeing. Anon is bearable while you're playing, but as soon as its over, I really want to know who I stabbed! ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Eleusinian » 28 Nov 2017, 22:42

Don Juan of Austria wrote:I'd agree with you, Parrart. Leaning towards disagreeing. Anon is bearable while you're playing, but as soon as its over, I really want to know who I stabbed! ;)

Okay, Hamlet. :roll:

( ;) )
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)

Postby rd45 » 29 Nov 2017, 01:03

Yeh IMO it's part of the whole point of a league that you might be desperate for a point from the last game of the season to save yourself from relegation, or that you know you're playing against someone else who is. Or you only need a draw for the title, but the rest of the board knows that too & so denies you. That's a meta game, but in a good way.
rd45

Standard rating: 1302
All-game rating: 1329

Postby V » 29 Nov 2017, 01:51

I seriously lean in favour of apparent consensus here. Anonymous countries is a good idea for the games (not anonymous players) & all post game activities done in name. The original suggestion by mjparrett has many merits & I would disagree with changes.

Best Regards

V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby lb1785 » 29 Nov 2017, 15:16

For what it's worth, I don't really see where the meta-gaming issue is, as long as we have anonymous countries. Some players may know each other well enough from past games to guess the identity of part of their opponents and start meta-gaming from there, but that could happen with anonymous players too since we'll only have 20 possible opponents in total... Or am I missing something?
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver Classicist
3-way draw as The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785

Standard rating: (1444)
All-game rating: (1450)

Postby mjparrett » 29 Nov 2017, 15:26

No you are not. And if people want to be clever and try and disguise their identity then of course that is fine!
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby Cover Drive » 04 Dec 2017, 11:19

something small, more of a sub-section issue that was touched on in the first post here but one that can be important to create a rule around - in-game communication and players staying in character and not revealing who they are, nor asking an opposing nation about such things.

Some players could include their name our alias out of habit at the bottom of communications, and i think this should be frowned upon. equally a player could use someone elses alias for a game once they see who worked favourably with certain nations in previous games. some may say its fair play but i think it is more poor form and some kind of rule here may help (for example cricketers who display 'poor form' often lose half of their match fee). a rule such as this would eliminate this tactic from the comp and ensure all players really get into and stay into the nation they are playing.

just a thought.
Cover Drive

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1101)
All-game rating: (1107)

Postby V » 04 Dec 2017, 13:37

Diplomacy is a game of machinations. To pretend a false identity, conceal identity, or reveal identity, should all be available ruses. All could be falsehoods & that is up to the message recipient to discern. To try & implement rules concerning truth in a game that includes large amounts of deceit is probably unwise.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to PDL suggestions