Convey ?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Convey ?

Postby TyWolf » 21 Nov 2017, 19:21

When we are convoying a unit over two fleets how is that done. Say I am going from Brest to Spain. For the Mid Atlantic convey to I saw I am convoying Brest to Spain or English Channel to Spain?

Thanks.
TyWolf

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (904)
All-game rating: (906)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Convey ?

Postby Eleusinian » 21 Nov 2017, 20:36

Each fleet orders the army's starting and final destination: MAO would convoy Brest to Spain. See this thread for more detail (I got there via front page -> Game Rules -> Quick Guidesp link in the top paragraph). You can also use the orders solver to make sure your orders are valid.

But it sounds like you have a fleet in English Channel and Mid Atlantic, and are ordering both to participate in the convoy? If so, the English Channel fleet isn't needed; MAO borders both Brest and Spain, and so can do the convoy by itself.

There are times that you may want to establish "redundant" routes in a convoy, so that the convoy will succeed even if one of the fleets is dislodged. For instance, if you wanted to convoy from London to Belgium, you could do that with both a fleet in English Channel and North Sea; as long as at least one of those fleets isn't dislodged, the convoy will succeed. But in your example, Mid Atlantic is the bottleneck in either path (Bre -> MAO -> Spa or Bre -> Eng -> MAO -> Spa), so having the English Channel fleet participate doesn't gain you anything.
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions