Galaxy Quest Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 18 Sep 2017, 06:29

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I think I like the sound of that--it makes it a lot harder as town to just say "Let's lynch the PR right away then play this essentially as vanilla." If there's two PRs and one of them has utility to the town, that's a lot harder choice to make. I still might be tempted to say lynch both of them first and get it out of the way, but that's a much harder choice to make when there's two as opposed to just the one.


It also essentially makes the real Nesmith unkillable for a while. If mafia kills one, town will lynch the other in a hot second.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 18 Sep 2017, 06:36

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:I think I like the sound of that--it makes it a lot harder as town to just say "Let's lynch the PR right away then play this essentially as vanilla." If there's two PRs and one of them has utility to the town, that's a lot harder choice to make. I still might be tempted to say lynch both of them first and get it out of the way, but that's a much harder choice to make when there's two as opposed to just the one.


It also essentially makes the real Nesmith unkillable for a while. If mafia kills one, town will lynch the other in a hot second.

Oh, that's a good point--if one side kills a Nesmith, the other will certainly kill the second. Gives it a certain amount of tension, seeing which side, if either, will blink first.

One possible problem I see is that as long as both Nesmiths are alive, town has a 50/50 shot at any LYLO/MYLO situation. Not sure how that affects balance though, so I'm not sure if it's actually a problem or not, but it's probably something to be aware of.


I would almost say that Nesmith/Sarris (referring to them as the singular Nesmith from here out) should be secrets...as in they get their Nesmith/Sardis role, but they also get cover identities. That would solve the 50/50 shot at LYLO thing, as well as take away the incentive to immediately kill the Nesmiths. It does open up a lot of possibility for fake Nesmith claims, which the scum would probably have an easier time with given that they can coordinate it better with night chat. Not sure what other cans of worms that opens up, or if it ruins the mechanic, but it might be something to consider.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 18 Sep 2017, 06:49

Question for Telleo. From the current set of the rules:

During the night phase, either Nesmith or Sarris or both may choose to activate the Omega-13. This will immediately revive any players who are dead, whose alignments have not yet been revealed, and cancels any other night actions taken by any other players. Note that this ability cannot revive a night killed player, as it resolves before a night kill occurs, although it does prevent a night kill from occurring that night.


Two questions here, really. One, does this mean that NKs are dead, dead, dead as a doornail, and cannot be revived, period, end of story, that's all she wrote?

Two, is there a limit to the number of uses of the Omega-13?

Actually, just thought of a third as well. Say that it's 3:2 town to scum, with Nesmith still alive. If the town mislynches, do they lose immediately, or does Nesmith get a chance to use the Omega-13 to revive the mislynched town player?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 18 Sep 2017, 07:23

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Question for Telleo. From the current set of the rules:

During the night phase, either Nesmith or Sarris or both may choose to activate the Omega-13. This will immediately revive any players who are dead, whose alignments have not yet been revealed, and cancels any other night actions taken by any other players. Note that this ability cannot revive a night killed player, as it resolves before a night kill occurs, although it does prevent a night kill from occurring that night.


Two questions here, really. One, does this mean that NKs are dead, dead, dead as a doornail, and cannot be revived, period, end of story, that's all she wrote?


As written, yes. I'm not sure if I'm sticking with that, because it seems pretty pro-mafia in this setup. The other option is to have the ability function as it was originally written (able to res NK'd players during the day following their resurrection), but add the clause that if both Nesmith's attempt to activate the ability, it doesn't fire at all - that way, the town Nesmith can't guarantee a resurrection of every NK.

Two, is there a limit to the number of uses of the Omega-13?


Not yet. I'm thinking about if I want to limit its uses, and if so, how many activations each player should get. If I adjust the rules to let NK's be revived, I will almost certainly add a limit to the number of uses, and that number will be low.

Actually, just thought of a third as well. Say that it's 3:2 town to scum, with Nesmith still alive. If the town mislynches, do they lose immediately, or does Nesmith get a chance to use the Omega-13 to revive the mislynched town player?


No - I should add that to the rules. Because there are repercussions for not knowing a player's identity, victory conditions will not resolve until after a player's identity is known.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 18 Sep 2017, 07:33

As written, yes. I'm not sure if I'm sticking with that, because it seems pretty pro-mafia in this setup. The other option is to have the ability function as it was originally written (able to res NK'd players during the day following their resurrection), but add the clause that if both Nesmith's attempt to activate the ability, it doesn't fire at all - that way, the town Nesmith can't guarantee a resurrection of every NK.

If it can rez a player to save the game in the 3:2 (or comparable) set up I asked about, that goes a relative ways towards balancing it out. In that scenario, you most likely end up with 1 town clear (since the scum would win by not rezzing her), Nesmith and Sarris both claim Nesmith, possibly one other scum player claims as well to muddy the issue, and you've got a 1 in 3 chance of guessing correctly as the town (and you know who to lynch if the player you kill is rezzed, given that they'd have to be scum--if they were town they'd be Nesmith and therefore unsavable, since Nesmith can't use the ability on them-self). So town lynches the rezzed player, then probably lynches the two other claimed Nesmiths since they know one of them has to be scum.

That seems like it balances out fairly well to me, especially if there's a limited number of uses for the Omega-13 (since otherwise the scum will just rez the lynch every single time in that situation and we end up in a stalemated game), but I could very well be missing something.


Nope, I am missing something. If scum is lynched properly in that scenario and brought back, now you have a false town clear, and therefore no town clear at all. Nevermind.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 18 Sep 2017, 21:05

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I would almost say that Nesmith/Sarris (referring to them as the singular Nesmith from here out) should be secrets...as in they get their Nesmith/Sardis role, but they also get cover identities. That would solve the 50/50 shot at LYLO thing, as well as take away the incentive to immediately kill the Nesmiths. It does open up a lot of possibility for fake Nesmith claims, which the scum would probably have an easier time with given that they can coordinate it better with night chat. Not sure what other cans of worms that opens up, or if it ruins the mechanic, but it might be something to consider.


I just want to clarify this for myself -- when you say cover identities, does that then open it that any of the characters previously named plus a new one could be the secret Nesmiths? Because if not, then we immediately know which one it is, since they were added after this whole discussion.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 19 Sep 2017, 00:05

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:I would almost say that Nesmith/Sarris (referring to them as the singular Nesmith from here out) should be secrets...as in they get their Nesmith/Sardis role, but they also get cover identities. That would solve the 50/50 shot at LYLO thing, as well as take away the incentive to immediately kill the Nesmiths. It does open up a lot of possibility for fake Nesmith claims, which the scum would probably have an easier time with given that they can coordinate it better with night chat. Not sure what other cans of worms that opens up, or if it ruins the mechanic, but it might be something to consider.


I just want to clarify this for myself -- when you say cover identities, does that then open it that any of the characters previously named plus a new one could be the secret Nesmiths? Because if not, then we immediately know which one it is, since they were added after this whole discussion.


I'm not thinking cover identities should be necessary. Given that role information can only be accessed via the Nesmiths, there's incentive to keep them both alive until the end game. In addition, because they'll be in the spotlight a bit, it should be easier to get reads on them based on their uses/not uses of their roles.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Keirador » 19 Sep 2017, 01:53

Ah, Spy vs. Spy. If I'd just had more time, I'd have caught you, Telleo. By Grabthar's Hammer I swear it.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 10969
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 19 Sep 2017, 02:22

Keirador wrote:Ah, Spy vs. Spy. If I'd just had more time, I'd have caught you, Telleo. By Grabthar's Hammer I swear it.


Image
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 19 Sep 2017, 02:39

But actually that was a great game from beginning to end, and yeah, you'd probably have nailed me if you'd had more time.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to In Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron