Fleet - coastal movement when sea zone occupied

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Fleet - coastal movement when sea zone occupied

Postby Shooters » 14 Sep 2017, 13:21

Hi guys
Real newbie question here, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere before I start my first game.
I understand that fleets can move into a sea zone, or they can move from coastal province to coastal province.
However, can fleets still move from coastal province to coastal province if the adjacent sea zone is occupied?
Eg. Can a French fleet move from Brest to Picardie if there is an English fleet in the English Channel?

Many thanks
Shooters

Re: Fleet - coastal movement when sea zone occupied

Postby Bromley86 » 14 Sep 2017, 13:59

Yep, there's no impediment. Think of the sea zones and the land provinces as the same, and you'll be fine. Until you try to convoy through land (even land that looks like you might be able to, like Con), or bump into sea/land zones in the variants :) .
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Re: Fleet - coastal movement when sea zone occupied

Postby WarSmith » 14 Sep 2017, 23:23

This is fine! No impediment at all.
The only reason it wouldn't work would be if a unit from another space (e.g. The sea zone you mention) also tries to move to the coast you want to go to - that'd be a bounce.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions