Galaxy Quest Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 12 Sep 2017, 20:02

kimbyrle wrote:What if the ability could only rez a NK? That at least eliminates the part where Sarris could undo a good lynch.

Then it's kind of useless to the mafia, isn't it?

Although...I guess the mafia could NK one of their own,then resurrect them...make it look like Nesmith rezzing a townie...but then we're right back to where we started, with it being more useful for the scum than the town, and me wanting to lynch Nesmith right away.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 12 Sep 2017, 20:24

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:What if the ability could only rez a NK? That at least eliminates the part where Sarris could undo a good lynch.

Then it's kind of useless to the mafia, isn't it?

Although...I guess the mafia could NK one of their own,then resurrect them...make it look like Nesmith rezzing a townie...but then we're right back to where we started, with it being more useful for the scum than the town, and me wanting to lynch Nesmith right away.
That was my thought, yeah. But that at least seems like it has room for speculation. Like, in Guards! Guards!, a member of the scum team used it on one of their own to make themself look townie. Didn't entirely work, but this seems like it would kind of live in that same conceptual space.

So I'm not convinced that necessarily makes it more useful for scum than town. It means that town are more wary of trusting someone Jason rezzes. But if scum kills their own to get a rez then town isn't down a player, and we're looking harder at both the rez and "Jason."

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 12 Sep 2017, 20:25

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:What if the ability could only rez a NK? That at least eliminates the part where Sarris could undo a good lynch.

Then it's kind of useless to the mafia, isn't it?

Although...I guess the mafia could NK one of their own,then resurrect them...make it look like Nesmith rezzing a townie...but then we're right back to where we started, with it being more useful for the scum than the town, and me wanting to lynch Nesmith right away.
That was my thought, yeah. But that at least seems like it has room for speculation. Like, in Guards! Guards!, a member of the scum team used it on one of their own to make themself look townie. Didn't entirely work, but this seems like it would kind of live in that same conceptual space.

So I'm not convinced that necessarily makes it more useful for scum than town. It means that town are more wary of trusting someone Jason rezzes. But if scum kills their own to get a rez then town isn't down a player, and we're looking harder at both the rez and "Jason."

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Used the Gonne on one of their own, should have said. Got tangled up on my own thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 12 Sep 2017, 20:39

I'm fairly risk averse as a town player--if the mechanics you're talking about are implemented, I would still say kill Nesmith right off the bat. Because there's no way as town you can know who you're rezzing...and if Nesmith is scum then it's still a fairly useful tool for them. So if I'm town in that situation, I'm almost certainly lynching Nesmith, and if for whatever reason we don't lynch Nesmith, I'm lynching the person he resurrects.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby condude1 » 15 Sep 2017, 01:13

Is the Omega-13 an instant ability (for lack of a better word)? As in, can you fire it between when the NK resolves at night, and when the alignment reveal occurs for the day before?

Also, with rules as written right now, couldn't someone fire the Omega-13 after their own death? It says "any time", not "any time that you remain in the game".
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 15 Sep 2017, 01:19

condude1 wrote:Is the Omega-13 an instant ability (for lack of a better word)? As in, can you fire it between when the NK resolves at night, and when the alignment reveal occurs for the day before?

Also, with rules as written right now, couldn't someone fire the Omega-13 after their own death? It says "any time", not "any time that you remain in the game".


True - I'll rewrite to not allow self-res. You can activate the Omega-13 at any time, but since the NK resolves at the same time as the alignment reveal for the previous day, there isn't space to active between them. Activation requires posting to the thread- I would not allow Nesmith to active at a time of his/her choosing in the future. He or she has to actually post to activate, not just say "Activate between the NK and the reveal."
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Keirador » 16 Sep 2017, 00:40

It sacrifices flavor, but I'd be inclined to give the PR a vanilla claim. Right now, mass-reveal of character identities outs the PR immediately, and I'm in agreement that I kill the PR right away, for the 50/50 shot.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 10969
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 17 Sep 2017, 21:34

Keirador wrote:It sacrifices flavor, but I'd be inclined to give the PR a vanilla claim. Right now, mass-reveal of character identities outs the PR immediately, and I'm in agreement that I kill the PR right away, for the 50/50 shot.


What's PR?
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Telleo » 18 Sep 2017, 02:09

kimbyrle wrote:
Keirador wrote:It sacrifices flavor, but I'd be inclined to give the PR a vanilla claim. Right now, mass-reveal of character identities outs the PR immediately, and I'm in agreement that I kill the PR right away, for the 50/50 shot.


What's PR?


Power role.

Right now, I like the idea of focusing on one or two players, and I'm toying with making this a reskinned Spy vs Spy mafia. Have two players that are publicly known to be either Sarris or Nesmith (they'll both claim Nesmith). I'm rewriting the rules now, we'll see how it ends up.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
User avatar
Telleo
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:39
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby Nanook » 18 Sep 2017, 02:22

Telleo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
Keirador wrote:It sacrifices flavor, but I'd be inclined to give the PR a vanilla claim. Right now, mass-reveal of character identities outs the PR immediately, and I'm in agreement that I kill the PR right away, for the 50/50 shot.


What's PR?


Power role.

Right now, I like the idea of focusing on one or two players, and I'm toying with making this a reskinned Spy vs Spy mafia. Have two players that are publicly known to be either Sarris or Nesmith (they'll both claim Nesmith). I'm rewriting the rules now, we'll see how it ends up.

I think I like the sound of that--it makes it a lot harder as town to just say "Let's lynch the PR right away then play this essentially as vanilla." If there's two PRs and one of them has utility to the town, that's a lot harder choice to make. I still might be tempted to say lynch both of them first and get it out of the way, but that's a much harder choice to make when there's two as opposed to just the one.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 11132
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: Florida
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to In Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests