Liberty Cup AAR: I Survived Chris Martin (barely)...

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Liberty Cup AAR: I Survived Chris Martin (barely)...

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 07 Aug 2017, 07:05

...but I did not shoot the deputy.

Will fill this out over the next week or so, as I get back and recover my faculties. This was my second face to face tournament, the Liberty Cup, in Philadelphia, hosted by the esteemed Christian Pedone in Center City Philadelphia. Andy Bartalone took home the first place hardware, with Chris Martin coming in second, Peter Yeargin in third, myself fourth, Edi Birsan 5th, Tim Jaxon 6th, and Brad (I forget his last name right now) in 7th.

My results were:

Round 1: 4 center Italy, smallest power in a 5 way draw.

Round 2: 9 (I think, maybe 8) center Russia, co-board top.

Round 3: 10 center France, board top.

This was a really, really fun tournament, and I highly recommend it to anyone that can make it out in the future. The community is great, Christian Pedone did a fantastic job making sure everything ran smoothly, at least in front of the curtain, and providing a space for everyone to have a great time.

I also got in my first games of Terraforming Mars, which is not my style of game but was fun enough, and played a good amount of Avalon, which I am mediocre at but greatly enjoy anyways (it's sort of similar to mafia, which partly explains why I enjoy it!).

Brief outline of my games to come shortly, with more to follow later on.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Liberty Cup AAR: I Survived Chris Martin (barely)...

Postby I Love Italy » 07 Aug 2017, 08:19

Congrats on placement!
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 07 Aug 2017, 21:29

Very quick recap, to be followed more in depth later on.

Friday: good breakfast, learned a new game (terraforming mars) which I enjoyed playing because of who I was playing with, but don't so much love the game itself, followed by a good lunch. First round was my worst result, a 4 center Italy (the smallest of a 5 way draw), but also my least sloppy game, and probably the most fun board I was on. Played with Randy in germany, Siobhan Nolen in England, Dave Maletsky in Austria, Peter Yeargin in France (we had about the most good natured and congenial fight ever, side note), Sam Thomas in Turkey, and Graham Woodring in Russia. After the game ended, the board minus Sam and Randy played terraforming mars (with randy spectating/commentating for the first half or so). Diplomacy ended around midnight, mars ended around 2am. Because when you don't have a strong showing in your first game, the best choice is obviously to stay up two extra hours before your next game.

Saturday: good breakfast with a different group of people. Round 2 was my worst played game, in my opinion. As Russia, I essentially put myself in a hole by screwing Chris Martin's Austria when I shouldn't have...then dug myself out of that hole by screwing Chris again after we got back on the same page. This was entirely unfair to him, because it's not his fault that I put myself in the hole to begin with. So that kind of sucked, because again, it was my own fault, and working with chris is a lot of fun and he deserved better than he got that game. I made a couple sloppy mistakes, that meant instead of board topping at 10-12 centers, I co-topped with Andy Bartelone's Germany at 9. The drop dead clock definitely affected me this game, as I was waiting until the last minute to write my orders when I needed 1:30 to 2 to do it properly. The rest of the board was Siobhan in Italy, Alex Maslow in Germany, Mitch in England, and Jorge in France. After the round, I ended up playing Avalon with Siobhan, Randy, Maslow, Brandon (forget his last name), Andrew K, and a couple other people who filtered through. This was a blast, and I loved this game. This time I had fun both because of the people I was playing with, and because the game is one I enjoy. Then we dispersed for food. Around 9, 9:30 I was in my room thinking about heading to bed when I saw a message that a decent size group of people were in the diplomacy room shooting the breeze and presumably setting up games. So instead of going to bed, I headed back down and wound up playing Avalon some more, until about 1am (would've ended earlier, but we were waiting on cake. And the wait was worth it).

Sunday: woke up too early (but on time for the round), had breakfast and lots of coffee, and attempted not to fall asleep in my chair waiting for board call. Drew France. Played a lot grumpier than I usually do, but most people didn't seem to mind. Got stalled out as France, then eventually was able to break through with the help of Edi Birsan's very annoyed Austria after he was stabbed poorly. He held on to enough centers long enough for me to be able to, with his help, push into the East. I kept him alive and he kept working with me until the very end of the game, even as he went down to one center. I had two misorders this game, one was somewhat costly, the other was annoying but didn't end up losing me anything. Both were the result of changing stuff in the last 30 seconds, and thus should have been avoidable. Ended up board topping, with a weird 10 centers that included 2 of Turkey's. I might have been able to get up to 13 or 14 centers if we'd kept playing, but I didn't think I'd be able to solo. Without being able to solo I wouldn't be able to top Andy's results, and I knew that I'd be on the top board if the game finished that way. So I accepted the draw instead of pushing another 2 or 3 years to get those 2 or 3 extra centers. I was also tired and grumpy again after a spurt of energy in the middle years, so that played into my decision as well. I sort of wish that I'd kept pushing for 2 more centers, as that would have tied me for the best France in the tournament with Chris Martin. It's not a guarantee I would have gotten those centers, but I think I could have. The rest of the board was Angelo in Italy, Robert Rousse in England, Andrew K in Germany, Mitch in Turkey, Tim Jaxon in Russia, and Edi Birsan in Austria. After the game ended we hung around and talked until the last game of the round finished, then there was a short awards ceremony, and I went to sleep because the coffee had worn off by that point.

I ended up in fourth place overall in the tournament, which I was very happy with. I was especially pleased after my mediocre result in round 1, and the fact that I drew Russia in round 2, who I normally hate playing.

I also took home the Best Russia award, for my 9 center co-board top in Round 2. I was briefly mistakenly given the Best France award, but this was later corrected to being Chris Martin's (he finished with a 12 center France in Round 1, whereas I had 10 in Round 3).

This was a very well organized and spectacularly fun tournament, both for Diplomacy and for the people there. I will definitely be coming back, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to go and is able to.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Conq » 08 Aug 2017, 00:23

Thanks for doing these recaps Nanook. I think there are several folks in the online community who are thinking about taking the ftf plunge. This helps.
Conq
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2410
All-game rating: 2549
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 08 Aug 2017, 00:28

Conq wrote:Thanks for doing these recaps Nanook. I think there are several folks in the online community who are thinking about taking the ftf plunge. This helps.

I hope so! That's kind of the point of them. And that's why I'm focusing on stuff outside the actual games too, like playing other games and meals, to try and help ease people's concerns about being the "outsider." It's an extremely welcoming community, with a lot of people in it that are very happy to see new faces playing FtF games. This was my second tournament, and I never felt like I was unwelcome or anything less than accepted. Everyone's going to have their own experiences of course, but mine is that it's one of the most welcoming communities I've ever come across. Be a decent person and treat others with respect, and you'll be welcomed with open arms.

(it never hurts to offer Belgium too.)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DQ » 08 Aug 2017, 20:39

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Very quick recap, to be followed more in depth later on.

<snip> I essentially put myself in a hole by screwing Chris Martin's Austria when I shouldn't have...then dug myself out of that hole by screwing Chris again after we got back on the same page. This was entirely unfair to him, because it's not his fault that I put myself in the hole to begin with. <snip>

You will find very few people who will agree that screwing me over is EVER unfair. :) But in this case I think you are missing that we both would have gotten a better result in that game if we'd stayed on the same page - you weren't in the hole when you screwed me the last time.

nanooktheeskimo wrote:This was a very well organized and spectacularly fun tournament, both for Diplomacy and for the people there. I will definitely be coming back, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to go and is able to.

Agreed - a nice small event with a high quality of people attending - both good players and good friends. Boston next, then Washington DC, then Vermont for the F2F calendar!
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 08 Aug 2017, 20:54

You will find very few people who will agree that screwing me over is EVER unfair. :) But in this case I think you are missing that we both would have gotten a better result in that game if we'd stayed on the same page - you weren't in the hole when you screwed me the last time.

I saw it differently at the time. I definitely agree that we both would have done much better had I stuck with you to begin with though. I'm not sure my result would've been better had I stayed with you the second time, but I could be wrong about that. I definitely should have picked one and stuck with it--my waffling late in the game was bad.

I think the lesson I'm taking away from this is to either work with Chris Martin or not listen to anything he says. It's too easy to think you've made a mistake if you listen to his words ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Face-to-Face