World Influence Fall 2022

Large-scale game on a world map, with major and minor powers. Created and GMd by asudevil.

Moderator: Morg

Re: World Influence Fall 2022

Postby asudevil » 11 Jul 2015, 17:41

GhostEcho wrote:asudevil: Not that it matters, as I wasn't building anyway, but I only have 28 SC

The 29SC was right though yes?
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby VGhost » 11 Jul 2015, 17:59

Er, units. I only have 28 units! I do have 29 SC.

Diplomacy skills: pretty okay. Counting skills: problematic. :P
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AardvarkArmy » 11 Jul 2015, 19:21

A brief response to the lengthy philosophical posts above by Antigonos and GhostEcho

1) Yes, I can take out Japan and cripple France anytime I want, and they are both realists about their respective positions. But, as I asserted, this is still mid-game, and there is play left to be had

2) the "four player draw" was a model that was envisioned 10 game years ago, and I dont believe has been repeated by me anywhere, anytime for several years now. Those with whom I have had end-game conversations more recently know that I have focused on a different approach for defining what ending I would be satisfied with

3) that new perspective is almost perfectly framed by the conclusion of GhostEcho's post: If, as I still believe, solo proves out of reach for me, I will be willing to consider a draw that includes all who did their best to reach for the brass ring... And will veto any proposal that includes nations that sat by timidly hoping for the storms to pass...
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1066
All-game rating: 1564
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 12 Jul 2015, 00:43

Spring orders are due 7/15 11:59pm GMT, 7pm EST

2022W.gif
2022W.gif (144.95 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

MAJOR POWERS

Venezuela-AardvarkArmy

F - LA
F - FRG
F - PAT

UK-marsman57

F ICE

France-vaderi

None

Germany-Antigonos

None

Nigeria-Stanislaw

F LAG

S.Africa-EpicDim

None

Israel-raphtown

F YEM

India-Aeschines

Fleet MLD
Fleet MDR

China-GhostEcho

Pass

Japan-ninjaruler

None

Australia-sjg11

A SYD

asudevil

Postby AardvarkArmy » 12 Jul 2015, 01:24

Nope nope nope. Army CAR still not fixed. Still incorrectly showing in ALA
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 12 Jul 2015, 01:32

AardvarkArmy wrote:Nope nope nope. Army CAR still not fixed. Still incorrectly showing in ALA

You and that FREAKING CAR army....Fixed... :?

asudevil

Postby Antigonos » 12 Jul 2015, 21:32

AardvarkArmy wrote:A brief response to the lengthy philosophical posts above by Antigonos and GhostEcho

1) Yes, I can take out Japan and cripple France anytime I want, and they are both realists about their respective positions. But, as I asserted, this is still mid-game, and there is play left to be had

2) the "four player draw" was a model that was envisioned 10 game years ago, and I dont believe has been repeated by me anywhere, anytime for several years now. Those with whom I have had end-game conversations more recently know that I have focused on a different approach for defining what ending I would be satisfied with

3) that new perspective is almost perfectly framed by the conclusion of GhostEcho's post: If, as I still believe, solo proves out of reach for me, I will be willing to consider a draw that includes all who did their best to reach for the brass ring... And will veto any proposal that includes nations that sat by timidly hoping for the storms to pass...

If I thought it worth the effort I am certain that I could find messages going back to the last messages you sent me in which you speak of your four in a draw. I do not think I am being paranoid when I say that I appear to be the primary target of your no brass ring grab no place in the draw threat. I find your threatening pronouncements in public posts and private messages crude and tiresome. I reject your implication that one is required by some code of Diplomacy honor to stab one's ally in an attempt to get a solo especially if one reads the situation as one in which the consequences of the stab will a much higher level of risk and significantly lower probability of survival No doubt you can and might come up with other models of proper Diplomacy play that somehow end up requiring that I stab UK. In a game where lying and stabbing are the norm and insults common in public press and private messages I find it extraordinary and amusing that you think it worth your time and the reading time of others working out theories of proper play that allow you to dictate what others should do.

Others may disagree but as I see my situation the issue before me is not a question of carebear thinking or not. Staying in the game and going for the best result one thinks one can achieve trumps going for a solo or more shortsightedly stabbing for nothing more than some additional supply centers. Any or indeed all of you can and may disagree with my assessment of my position and my choice of actions. But that is true of any set of decisions taken by any player at any time in any game. If you or China for that matter want to veto any draw proposal that includes me that is within your power just as I can and will veto any draw that does not include me. You and others have the option of destroying me if you can. I have the option of fighting and acting as I see fit and if for the moment that means having very little to do with most of my units beyond holding a defense line that benefits me and an ally so be it.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 13 Jul 2015, 03:22

Oh my...

Antigonos wrote: If I thought it worth the effort I am certain that I could find messages going back to the last messages you sent me in which you speak of your four in a draw.

And you would "certainly" be mistaken.

Antigonos wrote: I do not think I am being paranoid when I say that I appear to be the primary target of your no brass ring grab no place in the draw threat.

If the shoe fits...

Antigonos wrote: In a game where lying and stabbing are the norm and insults common in public press and private messages I find it extraordinary and amusing that you think it worth your time and the reading time of others working out theories of proper play that allow you to dictate what others should do.

Did the logical structure of this sentence make sense to anyone else?

Antigonos wrote: I have the option of fighting and acting as I see fit and if for the moment that means having very little to do with most of my units beyond holding a defense line that benefits me and an ally so be it.

You certainly have every right to engage in any strategy you wish, but others equally have the right to vote that any given strategy is not worthy of inclusion in a hard-fought victory.
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby Antigonos » 13 Jul 2015, 05:38

AardvarkArmy wrote:Oh my...

Antigonos wrote: If I thought it worth the effort I am certain that I could find messages going back to the last messages you sent me in which you speak of your four in a draw.

And you would "certainly" be mistaken.

Perhaps , perhaps not though it is in any case a minor point with limited relevance to the main point of disagreement.

Antigonos wrote: I do not think I am being paranoid when I say that I appear to be the primary target of your no brass ring grab no place in the draw threat.

If the shoe fits...

Well that certainly cuts me to the quick.

Antigonos wrote: In a game where lying and stabbing are the norm and insults common in public press and private messages I find it extraordinary and amusing that you think it worth your time and the reading time of others working out theories of proper play that allow you to dictate what others should do.

Did the logical structure of this sentence make sense to anyone else?

I might have written "to work out" instead of working out" but I stand by what I said.

Antigonos wrote: I have the option of fighting and acting as I see fit and if for the moment that means having very little to do with most of my units beyond holding a defense line that benefits me and an ally so be it.

You certainly have every right to engage in any strategy you wish, but others equally have the right to vote that any given strategy is not worthy of inclusion in a hard-fought victory.

Thanks for pointing this out Generalissimo Obvious. Of course if you read the full paragraph it is clear that I addressed the "right" to vote against any draw that includes me.

Others may disagree but as I see my situation the issue before me is not a question of carebear thinking or not. Staying in the game and going for the best result one thinks one can achieve trumps going for a solo or more shortsightedly stabbing for nothing more than some additional supply centers. Any or indeed all of you can and may disagree with my assessment of my position and my choice of actions. But that is true of any set of decisions taken by any player at any time in any game. If you or China for that matter want to veto any draw proposal that includes me that is within your power just as I can and will veto any draw that does not include me. You and others have the option of destroying me if you can. I have the option of fighting and acting as I see fit and if for the moment that means having very little to do with most of my units beyond holding a defense line that benefits me and an ally so be it
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 13 Jul 2015, 05:50

Sigh. you get the last word.

Oh, wait... that's a non sequitur, isn't it?
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to World Influence {All Maps Visible}