Baltic Variant Signups (and Zeus V interest list)

4-player map set in the eponymous sea and surrounding territories. GM'ed by Aeschines. Solo'ed by Pedros

Moderator: Morg

Re: Baltic or Zeus V? Which Game would you rather play?

Postby Pedros » 29 Apr 2015, 03:31

Baltic for me please, definitely.

And to the others - Zeus looks like a cool map (and there's nothing wrong with it) but Baltic is something else. It's like cage fighting. Worth it every moment.

MadeofMeat wrote:Every time I play Baltic I get this balance of power thing going on and nobody ever wins.

Not exactly true Meat. We played together in Game 3 and you (Russia) and I (Sweden) were left as the two largest powers. Finland was down to 2 and had lost all home SCs (I was keeping it alive as a puppet state and Poland had 4. You were on 9 but in the final season played - Spring 1906 - you had just lost two centres, to Finland and Poland, who had 4. I was on 6 and had ordered a retreat into a third Russian centre. The three of us had pushed you back for several seasons, at which point you quit the game. It ended there because the GM disappeared as well, but I was confident of a solo if we had continued. I wouldn't call that a "balance of power thing". viewtopic.php?f=147&t=15672
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby HighCheese » 29 Apr 2015, 05:05

Ah I forgot you were in that Pedros! And your memory of that game is quite impeccable I do have to say...

Looking back through my PMs I did have a pseudo-agreement with paulus (Poland) to get back at you. He claims it was a personal thing? With that in mind I started seeing the game as a back and forth between you and me with Poland serving as the balance to each of our checks. One of us gains an advantage, Poland sides with the lesser power.

Just one mans opinion though.
HighCheese

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1161)
All-game rating: (1560)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 29 Apr 2015, 16:48

Poland had no chance - he was only as strong as he was because I had offered to leave him be if he went for you; I could have taken him out.

And incidentally, if anybody tells you they are attacking somebody because "it's a personal thing" you really ought to report it to the GM/Mods (metagaming). Rules in DVFG are the same as in main site.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Gooderian » 29 Apr 2015, 17:06

Me wants to play Baltic.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Baltic Variant Signups (and Zeus V interest list)

Postby Antigonos » 03 May 2015, 09:05

Confirmed as Alternate for Baltic. Could I be copied on game reports so I can follow the action and wait for a possible call up notice?
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Antigonos » 15 May 2015, 18:07

Where is the Zeus V map?
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby Morg » 18 May 2015, 08:19

Hey Buddy,

I want to get this game started, but as I said there are a couple things in your house rules that concern me and I would like to get a response. If all your players agree that there is no concern then it is fine, but I haven't heard anything at all since I sent the PM, so here are my concerns.

1.1: All deadlines will be at 11:00pm PST, unless otherwise stated
This is fine so long as the players are given at least 96hrs/24hrs/24hrs for the respective phases. A small mention of that would be helpful.
1.2: I will endeavor to send out a 24hr warning all players - but this is not a guarantee
A clarification stating that this is for movement phases, not for retreats or builds would be helpful. This has caused unnecessary confusion in previous games.
2.1: All order sets must be complete - I will only look at the last orders message you send to determine all of your orders for that turn.
A clarification of what you would do if someone sent in orders that simply said "change XYZ->ABC" without any mention of their other orders would be helpful. This situation recently caused confusion in another game.
5.0: Errors in Adjudication must be identified within 48 hours of the map/orders being posted
I am very wary of this one for two reasons and I'll need very good answers to a pair of questions if I'm not to insist that this one get changed.
1. Movement phases last 96hrs. Why can't an error which is caught in hour 72 be fixed?
2. Retreat and Build phases last 24hrs. Are you going to turn back the clock to a previous season to fix a map error? This would cause players to be forced to resubmit orders that are supposed to be anonymous until they are simultaneously revealed.
I would highly recommend this get changed to "errors must be caught before the next phase is posted"

Once I get a response, I'll move it to active games.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Pedros » 20 May 2015, 18:58

One other thing re House Rules - Preliminary orders. This is more rigorous than most GMs who accept anything which states clearly that the orders are not final; and most players - myself included - use the word "Provisional", and sometimes not in the title.

Are you really going to consider a set of orders marked "Preliminary" only in the text, or "Provisional" in the title or text, as final - because if so that's going to lead to a lot of heartache!
Pedros

Postby Aeschines » 20 May 2015, 20:10

Pedros wrote:One other thing re House Rules - Preliminary orders. This is more rigorous than most GMs who accept anything which states clearly that the orders are not final; and most players - myself included - use the word "Provisional", and sometimes not in the title.

Are you really going to consider a set of orders marked "Preliminary" only in the text, or "Provisional" in the title or text, as final - because if so that's going to lead to a lot of heartache!

As long as you are clear that the orders are not meant to be final, that's a-ok. Though, I would prefer it in the title, so I can easily see what kind of orders they are (since, I don't generally read orders before I process). I'm not a stickler, so long as you're clear.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1576

Postby Pedros » 21 May 2015, 05:53

Thanks
Pedros

PreviousNext

Return to Game 8