Best Diplomacy board game edition?

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Re: Best Diplomacy board game edition?

Postby theletterjay » 25 May 2014, 22:34

WHSeward wrote:Ben is referring to the ownership markers.

I just meant why would you need an army/fleet AND an ownership marker on the same territory, since the unit itself is an adequate marker of ownership. But I see the point insofar as it being a fairly odd oversight when they switched to cardboard units AND markers. And you are right, markers really aren't that necessary in my opinion except perhaps as a teaching aid for new players.
theletterjay

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby timg » 26 May 2014, 07:23

Hi All

I think the most recent dip game I bought was the deluxe in about 1999. I think I had to buy it mail-order from Canada.
I have had a number of sets but I never bought one if it did not have the wooden pieces.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Gold member of the Classicists
Member of the Oldies
Cup of Nations Team USA
timg

Location: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. .........We must be over the rainbow!
Standard rating: (1056)
All-game rating: (1194)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Moha » 26 May 2014, 12:00

I got the avalon-hill version of diplomacy, but to get one copy of it you will have to pay some more bugs. But in my opinion it's clearily worth it!
The enemy of my enemy is, until the backstab, my friend.
Moha

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1220)
All-game rating: (1221)
Timezone: GMT

Postby rick.leeds » 26 May 2014, 12:36

I have the GIbson Games, plastic shells and... well, ships... with the pink English and the brown Austrians. My first set had two lots of Russian pieces instead of a set of German, so out with the old modelling paint! Then I got a second set anyway a few years later. We never used ownership markers either but kept a record of who owned what.

Can the ownership markers fit partially below the unit markers?

Have to admit I would have thought the 50th anniversary edition could have done better than cardboard pieces :?
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Maucat » 26 May 2014, 13:26

I have the 1976 AH edition with big wooden units and without markers. I like it very much still now... with his classical colours (E: dark blue, F: light blue, G: black, AH: red, R: white, I: green, T: yellow).
I saw also variants with plastical unit (Anchors and Stars), with metallical units (ships and guns) but none of them give me the same emotions to pick those big wooden pieces...

"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby -Gambit- » 26 May 2014, 16:05

Maucat wrote:I have the 1976 AH edition with big wooden units and without markers. I like it very much still now... with his classical colours (E: dark blue, F: light blue, G: black, AH: red, R: white, I: green, T: yellow).
I saw also variants with plastical unit (Anchors and Stars), with metallical units (ships and guns) but none of them give me the same emotions to pick those big wooden pieces...

Yes this is the board I have but with Anchors and Stars...the best part about this board vs the newer deluxe set is that all the land spaces on the map start out the same color and remain that way.

I've played on the deluxe set where the countries are painted there colors, the problem is when say russia takes over austria, austrian original territories are still red in color. And the deluxe come with markers to help you remember SC's, to me those are just a waste!
-Gambit-

Standard rating: (1408)
All-game rating: (1407)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Face-to-Face