AAR: 79225. PD Versailles Tournament Game A5

Moderator: sinnybee

AAR: 79225. PD Versailles Tournament Game A5

Postby sinnybee » 29 Apr 2014, 21:47

Game 79225. PD Versailles Tournament Game A5 is the first of 22 PDVT Phase 1 games to finish.

ImageImageJonathanSwaim earned 46 points in game A5: 3way DRAW 30 Poland 13 Egypt 3
ImageImagesisyphus216 earned 44 points in game A5: 3way DRAW 30 Turkey 11 Spain 3
ImageImagekickinitlegit earned 41 points in game A5: 3way DRAW 30 Britain 9 Sweden 2
ImageImageCrnaZemlja earned 1 point in game A5: Italy 1 Greece 0
ImageImageWagner earned 1 point in game A5: France 1 Rumania 0
ImageImagepelagius earned 0 points in game A5: USSR 0 Czechoslov. 0
ImageImagePriestProphetKing earned 0 points in game A5: Germany 0 Yugoslavia 0
Their scores are also here.

Congratulations to all 7 players for not surrendering!

Game created 24 March (25 Mar in GMT +1), started 26 March (27 Mar in GMT +1), and finished 27 April.
Last edited by sinnybee on 03 May 2014, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: AAR: 79225. PD Versailles Tournament Game A5

Postby JonS » 30 Apr 2014, 00:50

This was one of the smoothest games I've played - and I have to say that when I drew Turkey/Spain I was not too optimistic about my chances. Poland and I sensed an opening early with the USSR to stab him in 1931 in both Sev and Kiev - once that went off smoothly, I felt like it was a constant roll Westward for us with a bit of a misshapen juggernaut. His skillful control of Egypt both kept me safe from Italy/Greece, and kept me from thinking too seriously about pushing north rather than west.

Once Poland and I started heading west, we asked Britain to meet us in the middle for the draw, an invitation that was readily accepted. Honestly I think both Poland and I were constantly watching for the opportunity to smash through for a solo, and constantly watching for the stab from the other. This vigilance on both sides kept us pretty evenly matched, without distrust or paranoia ever weakening our roll westward. Once the collapse of France/Italy/Germany was certain, neither of us really ever had an opportunity to get the better of the other, particularly with Britain certain to side against the stabber.

All in all - not much else to say. This is a fun and totally painless game - once the USSR fell, I never really felt nervous again. Thanks to JonathanSwaim for being an excellent neighbor and ally.

Most of all - THANK YOU to everyone for never surrendering! Constant engagement from all seven players, and constant high quality communication across the board throughout. Great start to the tournament. Let's hope my B game works out as well, and maybe a few of us can have a rematch in the second round. :)
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)

Postby PriestProphetKing » 01 May 2014, 04:19

It was pretty crippling with how quickly Russia fell. I feel Russia and France were at a real disadvantage for showing up to the game a bit late. Is it coincidental they were the first two countries to fail. (Even though France had one unit on the board, I suppose.). I am not sure what I really could have done differently. Poland was strong fast, and there was no way we could cooperate. France was tough enough to keep me from jumping on England.

The mistake that stands out to me the most, is I forgot that Yugo could only build in Beograd. There was one season I missed a build for Yugo (which would have given me three units.) With that extra unit, I think I could have held off Poland a bit better. Anyway, it was a good game, but not too exciting on my end. Things seemed to be pretty straight forward in alliances. No unpredicted stabs.

Peace,
Germany/Yugo
PriestProphetKing

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1050)
All-game rating: (1266)
Timezone: GMT

Postby JonathanSwaim » 01 May 2014, 18:09

I agree with smooth, that is the only way to describe this game.

I think that the game ended in Fall 1901. That's obscenely early, but you can see everything that's about to happen just based on the first year.

USSR is a dead man walking. Italy bought my story of going opposite directions (why he did when he was Greece, I'm confused), and all three of Britain/Poland/Turkey are on fantastic terms. It's suddenly obvious to all three of us (and this is when Turkey and I pitched the idea to Britain) that we surround the board, and can absolutely act like a trash compacter.

By Fall 1932, there wasn't a conceivable way for the people in the center to win. We had the larger force (24 vs 17), and we had every flank. Everything still broke our way, and I wouldn't have guessed we'd see victory so quickly, but victory was pretty much inevitable from here on out. The rest of the game had that feeling of inevitability. Y'know... *crunch*

Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess.
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago.
JonathanSwaim
Premium Member

Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby JonS » 02 May 2014, 16:14

Best part of including that screenshot - I totally forgot that Greece stabbed me in Con in the first year! A bold effort, but given my gains of SCs elsewhere and my friendliness with Egypt, it was doomed to quickly fail, which Italy/Greece realized and sought to make amends. I think it was an outcome driven by Italy/Greece not yet knowing Poland/Egypt and I were allied - which - totally fair! It was literally the second turn of the game.

But for a brief shining moment, Byzantium was restored!
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)

Return to Versailles Tournament AARs