Migrating a game from F2F to playdiplomacy

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Migrating a game from F2F to playdiplomacy

Postby johnnymcnugget » 29 May 2013, 18:47

Just want to double check before we do this so no accounts get banned.

We're having a F2F game this weekend which will likely take us to 1905-1908. All our orders will be kept on paper. At the end of that game, we want to migrate to a Friends Only (password) game on playdiplomacy, so that we can continue where we left off on the site. Everyone already has usernames, but to speed things up, we were going to let the GM log in as each of us to complete orders from our past turns, then we would pick up using our own accounts.

Will that be a problem, can we request permission on the specific game ID before we do this? Don't want anyone's account getting into trouble - just trying to keep the game going.
johnnymcnugget

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Migrating a game from F2F to playdiplomacy

Postby Mortiferus Rosa » 29 May 2013, 20:13

Shouldnt be a problem, but I would PM a bunch of the mods to let them know what is going on.
R/,

Mortiferus Rosa
Gold Classicist
Mortiferus Rosa

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1115)
All-game rating: (1118)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 29 May 2013, 20:30

johnnymcnugget wrote:Just want to double check before we do this so no accounts get banned.

We're having a F2F game this weekend which will likely take us to 1905-1908. All our orders will be kept on paper. At the end of that game, we want to migrate to a Friends Only (password) game on playdiplomacy, so that we can continue where we left off on the site. Everyone already has usernames, but to speed things up, we were going to let the GM log in as each of us to complete orders from our past turns, then we would pick up using our own accounts.

Will that be a problem, can we request permission on the specific game ID before we do this? Don't want anyone's account getting into trouble - just trying to keep the game going.

Red flags will be raised when the one IP address is logging into multiple accounts, but I'll PM rick.leeds for you right now; he's the most important person to be aware of this situation (and he can let the other cheater hunters know what's going on if necessary).
Having someone log in to everyone (make sure to finalize everyone) is a great idea. It also would probably be a good idea to have everyone change their password to the same password while you do this (for convenience and for security reasons), then to have everyone change their password back to what it was (or something else) after you're caught up to the current turn.
Naturally, make sure everyone agrees on the deadline schedule and other settings of the game before it's created.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 29 May 2013, 20:40

Just a suggestion to save time - had you thought of having a laptop with the game on when you play the F2F portion? If you enter your orders on the laptop each turn, then the computer game will follow your board game and when you are done it will already be up to date with no need for the GM to log in and do everyone's orders up to that point.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby johnnymcnugget » 29 May 2013, 20:49

super_dipsy wrote:Just a suggestion to save time - had you thought of having a laptop with the game on when you play the F2F portion? If you enter your orders on the laptop each turn, then the computer game will follow your board game and when you are done it will already be up to date with no need for the GM to log in and do everyone's orders up to that point.

We had talked about that, but we wanted to get through as many rounds in person as possible, and the GM would be resolving moves on the board, and we didn't want to have to delay the next phase of negotiations by entering orders. (the GM is also a player)

Definitely changing passwords is a good idea. I'll set up the game this weekend and then PM a mod. Should it be Rick.Leeds?

Thanks a lot!
johnnymcnugget

Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sinnybee » 29 May 2013, 21:01

johnnymcnugget wrote:
super_dipsy wrote:Just a suggestion to save time - had you thought of having a laptop with the game on when you play the F2F portion? If you enter your orders on the laptop each turn, then the computer game will follow your board game and when you are done it will already be up to date with no need for the GM to log in and do everyone's orders up to that point.

We had talked about that, but we wanted to get through as many rounds in person as possible, and the GM would be resolving moves on the board, and we didn't want to have to delay the next phase of negotiations by entering orders. (the GM is also a player)

Definitely changing passwords is a good idea. I'll set up the game this weekend and then PM a mod. Should it be Rick.Leeds?

Thanks a lot!

I already PMed Rick for you (as I said I would), and I included you, so you should have a copy of the message (just a copy of my post with a link to this thread).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Petunia » 29 May 2013, 21:09

I was thinking that too, but that would require logging out and back in to enter orders for each of the 7 players for each turn. Now, if you're willing to run the game LAN-party-style and have everyone bring a lappy and enter their orders in their own turn, that'd work great. Actually might be kind of fun - here's the 15-minute negotiation window, when the bell chimes everybody sits down and enters their orders on their own machine - would allow for some pretty great stab reveals (I'm picturing an 8th box with the simple 'view game' URL getting refreshed after each turn and shown on a bigscreen or projector). As long as everyone remembers to finalize, the game would pretty much run in real time even if set up with 2-3 day deadlines for the post-FtF period. And there'd be no real need for a GM as Playdip's in-house adjudicator would be doing all the work. All you'd need is 7-8 computers.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby rick.leeds » 30 May 2013, 07:38

Whichever way you do this, what you MUST make sure you do, if you go down the route you originally suggested, is make sure that your passwords are changed, which can be done in the MY ACCOUNT section. I would suggest all players change their password to the same word (maybe the game password?) before the game. That way, the GM doesn't need to know each player's password. When the orders have been put in, everyone can then re-set their passwords to the original. If you choose not to do this, then when each player will need to change her/his password after the GM has "caught up" the game with the FTF game. I'm sure you are all trustworthy souls but having someone else's password knowledge is a very tempting thing for future games :lol:
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby gareth66 » 30 May 2013, 19:05

Have to say, I like the spirit of this question. Start a game F2F and then finish it on here. Great idea. And hats off to the site admin for entertaining the idea.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use