1900 - More Unbalanced than the Classic Map?

Strategy discussions for the 1900 variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: 1900 - More Unbalanced than the Classic Map?

Postby ViscountSlim » 22 Feb 2013, 16:56

please read the gamers guide to 1900. Objective number one was to make a more balanced game than vanilla

Then as I said above, EPIC FAIL!

Also, we should get married. I'll call up the rabbi

Ya know it's a thought, though here in Tennessee (and jkid can back me up on this) we prefer to marry close relatives - maybe we could do a double ceremony with Pezgod and dcaibal. But, will your mother not mind that I am goyim? I am circumcised and many (if not most) of my heroes just happen to be Jewish: Karl Marx, Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Norman Finkelstein, Rosa Luxemburg, Herbert Marcuse, Erich Fromm, Sigmund Freud, Mel Brooks, Groucho Marx, John Stewart, and Kyle Broflovski, just to name a few (yes, I am a little to the left of Karl Marx and Bertolt Brecht). And I have threatened to violently assault her little bubby. Let's start with dinner first, then we'll see... :lol:
Silver Member of The Classicists

Lord Tywin Lannister, Warden of the West, Shield of Lannisport, Lord of Casterly Rock in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire

Rsharpe wrote:I'm assisting a pedophilic king to retake the throne of France
ViscountSlim

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1029)
All-game rating: (1016)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The O » 22 Feb 2013, 20:24

ViscountSlim wrote:
joelsdaman1 wrote:GASP! Blasphemy! You, sir, have no idea. 1900 is by far the best variant I have ever played, and the most balanced. I will never play vanilla Diplomacy again without a gaping hole in my heart. You see, the actual numbers break down so:.

I hardly think it blasphemy to say that a game is slightly unbalanced, and "vanilla" or Classic Diplomacy is quite biased in favor of Russia in my opinion, which is precisely why Russia is my favorite country to play in Classic. I have a theory (which someday I shall try to test against real data) that the reasons Russia often does poorly in Classic games on this site, especially in comparison with Turkey, which starts out from a much weaker position, are primarily psychological (specifically, residual Cold War presumption on the part of younger players, especially Americans, and genuinely intractable Cold War prejudice on the part of older players, both American and English).

A little off topic... but I've long had a theory about Russia and this site. My thought is that because Russia's territories are so large (physically), then they do worse. Players see Russia taking up half the map with only 7 or 8 SCs and then they get ganged up on a lot quicker than most other powers will. I long ago suggested that the map actually cut off in the east lessening the size of territories like Mosc, St.Pete, and Sev. I think it's a psychological thing that people see the largest country and pick on them even if they are not in the lead.
This is just a theory and I have zero evidence to support that.

Sorry to hijack.
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby ViscountSlim » 22 Feb 2013, 21:41

The O wrote:[ A little off topic... but I've long had a theory about Russia and this site. My thought is that because Russia's territories are so large (physically), then they do worse. Players see Russia taking up half the map with only 7 or 8 SCs and then they get ganged up on a lot quicker than most other powers will. I long ago suggested that the map actually cut off in the east lessening the size of territories like Mosc, St.Pete, and Sev. I think it's a psychological thing that people see the largest country and pick on them even if they are not in the lead.
This is just a theory and I have zero evidence to support that.

Sorry to hijack.

Not off topic at all in my opinion - and I think your theory perhaps even more plausible than my own. I also think it works the other way around sometimes for people playing Russia. I tend to be a pretty unrealistically optimistic player most of the time - no challenge too great, etc. (perhaps that's from being an American) - but when I'm Russia I'm practically delusional; I simply cannot see danger or the prospect of failure until the gates of the Kremlin are being battered down, and I think it's directly related to the quantity of purple pixels on my screen. If there are any psychologists here on site I think this could make a very interesting experiment.

Lord Tywin Lannister, Warden of the West, Shield of Lannisport, Lord of Casterly Rock in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire

ViscountSlim

Postby sock » 23 Feb 2013, 01:28

joelsdaman1 wrote:Is there any way we could actually set up a 1900 game with professionally good players? As in people who would bring a fair test of balance to the game? Is anyone interested?

A lot of former "high rankers" are battling it out right now....in living color...

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play.php?game_id=55221

Professional grade? Perhaps...
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1359

Postby joelsdaman1 » 23 Feb 2013, 01:33

sock wrote:
joelsdaman1 wrote:Is there any way we could actually set up a 1900 game with professionally good players? As in people who would bring a fair test of balance to the game? Is anyone interested?

A lot of former "high rankers" are battling it out right now....in living color...

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play.php?game_id=55221

Professional grade? Perhaps...

This game clearly shows that France is not "the new Italy" and Germany isn't overpowered.

Although you are playing very well!
How is an atomic wedgie different from a regular wedgie?

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Standard rating: (796)
All-game rating: (795)

Postby Petunia » 23 Feb 2013, 02:41

The O wrote:My thought is that because Russia's territories are so large (physically), then they do worse. Players see Russia taking up half the map with only 7 or 8 SCs and then they get ganged up on a lot quicker than most other powers will. I long ago suggested that the map actually cut off in the east lessening the size of territories like Mosc, St.Pete, and Sev. I think it's a psychological thing that people see the largest country and pick on them even if they are not in the lead.

I believe this theory entirely. I consider it factual. It's one reason why I play Russia very, very helpfully.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby joelsdaman1 » 25 Feb 2013, 05:24

I kinda want to get back to this discussion! I honestly think that 1900 is the most balanced map offered on the site. Already people have adapted - I'm noticing far more anti-German early maneuvers, and interesting dilemmas about the awkward France/Britain relationship.

Would anyone be interested in a high-skilled 1900 game? I really want to test this thing out with good players (and me :lol: )

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Postby ViscountSlim » 25 Feb 2013, 06:38

Despite the fact that you think I "sucked" in Gunboat 1900, I would be happy to play against you in a non-Gunboat 1900 game. As for being a "good" player, I am now only a few points below the legendary RobinsBass. Also, Slim is an excellent game promoter - no one's games fill faster.

ViscountSlim

Postby joelsdaman1 » 25 Feb 2013, 15:26

ViscountSlim wrote:Despite the fact that you think I "sucked" in Gunboat 1900, I would be happy to play against you in a non-Gunboat 1900 game. As for being a "good" player, I am now only a few points below the legendary RobinsBass. Also, Slim is an excellent game promoter - no one's games fill faster.

Still hold a grudge, eh? Well this game will determine who's who and what's what.

56938. VIP Only - 1900
I'll PM you the password.
Also, advertise this a lot.

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Postby ViscountSlim » 25 Feb 2013, 17:03

joelsdaman1 wrote:Also, advertise this a lot.

Doin' it! http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36014

ViscountSlim

PreviousNext

Return to 1900 Strategy