Is Aincent med too naval?

Strategy discussions for the Ancient Med variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Is Aincent med too naval?

Postby Pedros » 13 Dec 2012, 15:26

:oops: :oops: On the small map and under the arrows I saw the army in Byzantium as orange! Obviously, I should have taken notice of the background colour.

So at one level we have a stalemate line defined at last, provided that the east has managed to get a fleet into Reed Sea early enough - it would require testing in a real game to know whether that attempt weakened the defence elsewhere.

On the other hand, if the defence had managed to get a fleet into Dacia earlier, it would break the line. But that really would be a tough job.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jaelis » 13 Dec 2012, 15:59

Pedros wrote:On the other hand, if the defence had managed to get a fleet into Dacia earlier, it would break the line.

True. But an iron-clad line can be formed if, in addition to moving one of extra units to Reed Sea, the other spare is moved to F Black Sea. Then it doesn't matter whether the enemy unit in Dacia is a fleet or an army. Alternatively, A Galatia or A Sinope could be replaced by F Black Sea. But in practice, it seems like A Dacia and empty Black Sea would be a lot more likely.

I spent a while trying to either contract or expand this line, and couldn't find any nearby variations. Certainly, stalemate lines are a lot harder to find on this map than the standard one. (Technically, C/R do have a line of their own here, but traditionally lines holding more than 17 centers don't count.)
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 13 Dec 2012, 16:26

jaelis - you're on top of this one. Do you want to write it up for a separate thread in this forum, "Ancient Med stalemate line"?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby jaelis » 13 Dec 2012, 16:39

Sure, I'll write something up. I think I found another line too.
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Kithchener » 13 Dec 2012, 19:45

Meh, perhaps you guys are right regarding stalemate lines. I feel that there is too much congestion at the Sinai/ Egypt border, I once took 11 years of grit just to crack it, by which time Carthage soloed (I was Persia)

Still too naval though. Have fun with it?
This account is dead RIP.
Kithchener

Standard rating: (1123)
All-game rating: (1130)

Postby Pedros » 16 Dec 2012, 13:30

Perhaps you should have changed your strategy!
Pedros

Postby Kithchener » 16 Dec 2012, 13:43

Pedros wrote:Perhaps you should have changed your strategy!

I probably should have :(.
This account is dead RIP.
Kithchener

Standard rating: (1123)
All-game rating: (1130)

Previous

Return to Ancient Mediterranean Strategy