Mafia II game (proper)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia II game (proper)

Postby Lord S » 13 Apr 2009, 17:46

Now I know that there is already a thread for the 2nd Mafia game, but since it started in September it is filled with much out of date information. So consider this a new start for the game.

There have been a lot of people signing up for the game with nobody to GM, well worry no more. :D I am willing to GM this game. I'll start off PM-ing all the people that signed up in the other thread and asking them if they can still play, but new people to the thread are welcome as well.

I'd ideally like to make this game bigger than the first one, which went rather quickly. So it would nice to have 10+ people. The more we have the more different roles we can have.

I'll start up writing a story line for it once we get a bit of interest for it so I have an idea of how many people to include.

The times I propose will be one day for the day turn and one day for the night, but I will change this if I get too many objections.

Connect4- Peasant- Killed on N5 by Vampires
The Doctor- Vampire- Voted off on D3
CowInAPie
Flatley
metallord99
nickjb3
infinity8ball
Firestorm94
Neoteny- Vampire- Voted off on D4

Reserve list
King Jeff (20/04/09)
lotr_freak (Back-up)
Iamnobody (Back-up)

Rules

Now many of you have probably played this game before in some form (I myself used to play a version of it called Cry Wolf with Sheep and Wolves), but as with so many games there are different variations. Unfortunately in this game there is no true original variation so I will just explain all the rules that we will be playing in this version of it so we are all clear.

Play is split into two phases, Day and Night. The game starts of in the first night phase where I will assign you your roles. These roles are known by you alone (exceptions to this later).

After that first night phase the phase alternates between day and night, which in our play time will be 1 day for day and 1 day for night.

In each day phase people are allowed to vote on which other person they would like to go from the game (die). All votes are made publicly on the forum and you are encouraged to discuss with others who you would like to get voted off. All votes should be made in bold, for instance: I vote for Lord S. You can change your vote as many times as you want and you do not have to vote.

A majority of all votes cast is needed to kill somebody and if a vote is abstained then it counts as if that person didn't exist for that phase. So if there were 20 people then you would need 11 votes on one person to kill them. If only 19 of the 20 voted then you would only need 10 votes on one person to get them killed.

It should be noted that players can talk in this forum or in a PM to one another. So there is lots of scope for snidey-ness and trickery for you diplomacy players.

After the votes result has been announced and if a person has got a majority then they are dead, which means that they can no longer post on this forum. The dead person's role is announced. If there is no majority then the game continues as normal.

It then becomes the night phase again and this time (and all night phases after this one) any player with a power is allowed to use it. More on powers later, but they all require correspondence with me. There is no talking expect during the Night unless it is with me You'd better plan well for it in the day time. I'm trusting you not to break this one. ;)

After any powers have been resolved it turns to day again and it continues to cycle until a winning condition is reached.

Winning the game

The game is won by the Vampires (wolves, mafia, whatever you call them. I have chosen the theme vampires for this one) if they have the same number of people or more as the Innocents at the end of the day phase.
The game is won by the Innocents if there are no more Vampires left alive at any point.

Roles

Vampire (Evil)
The bad guys. Each night they each write me the name of one person they would like to have killed. If each vampire sends me the same name then that person is killed (so it has to be unanimous). Remember that there is no talking at night. When I send you your roles and it turns out you are a vampire I will give you the list of other vampires as well.

Peasant (Good)
The main role in the game. No powers, but they, like everyone else, still get a vote each day and I'm sure that there is plenty of accusing and backstabbery to be had.

Doctor (Good)
Each Doctor sends me the name of one person each night. During that night the named person cannot be killed. It must be noted that they a doctor cannot name himself.

Watchman (Good)
Each Watchman sends me the name of one person each night. I will send the watchman a message back telling whether the named person was good or bad. This is the way you stake out vampires (get it?).

Butcher (Good)
Butchers are good, but due to the blood stains on the clothes it will turn out Evil to any enquiries done by Watchmen. A handy scapegoat for the Vampires, but perhaps a bargaining tool?

Siblings (Good)
It may be that you find yourself with a sibling. If so then the sibling's name will be told to you and you can be sure that they are Good. I wonder how many people will claim to have a sibling?
Last edited by Lord S on 25 Apr 2009, 22:45, edited 18 times in total.
Lord S

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (1011)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mafia 2nd game (proper)

Postby connect4 » 13 Apr 2009, 17:50

I already said yes in the other thread, but I'll jump in again here.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby CowInAPie » 13 Apr 2009, 18:24

I'm in. Thanks for GMing - I was considering it but them I remember my lack-lusterness and I'd probably mess up the story line or screw up an order :(
There are only three things you can't fake, talent, smarts, and an erection
CowInAPie

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby metallord99 » 13 Apr 2009, 18:51

I'm in, I'm ready to kill some bad guys.
or some good guys. :twisted:
"It's only cheating if you get caught"

"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!"
metallord99

Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Lord S » 13 Apr 2009, 19:18

Thanks everyone so far, it is filling up quite fast.

Now, while we wait for more I want to know your opinions on a few things.
Firstly, are you all ok with the 1day day/1day night scheme or would you prefer something slower?

Secondly, the last game of this put all of its comments in the same thread. Would you prefer I made a separate thread for each phase like in a forum game of diplomacy? For instance we would have threads called Night 1, Day 1, Night 2 etc. I'd prefer to do it this way, but I don't want to clutter up your forums with too many threads.

And lastly, how many players would you like? I'm thinking 16 with a few different roles.
Lord S

Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (1011)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nickjb3 » 13 Apr 2009, 23:54

Put me in as well Lord S and thank you for volunteering to host.
nickjb3

All-game rating: 4936

Postby connect4 » 14 Apr 2009, 00:13

Minor rules question: is the role of a person revealed upon their death, and will we know the exact amount of all roles in the game at the start of the game?

From having played Mafia with friends before, I'm hoping at least one of those two questions (preferably the first) is a no, so that the game becomes more interesting.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby infinity8ball » 14 Apr 2009, 06:18

Sign me up. =^)
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Firestorm94 » 14 Apr 2009, 06:25

INININININININ!!!!! :mrgreen:
Firestorm94

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby lotr_freak » 14 Apr 2009, 08:59

I'm willing to be a backup, but I don't think I can do any more than that right now...
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to Game Threads