LOTR Middle Earth variant FULL (looking for reserves)

8-player scenario based on The Lord of the Rings, desgined by Lew Pulsipher and introduced by Presser84. GM Presser84. Winner: thewysecat (Gondor)

Re: LOTR Middle Earth variant

Postby presser84 » 24 Mar 2012, 20:12

Glorfindel wrote:
986690324 wrote:Dude, I am about to unveil a game exactly like this. I have the map set and everything! It took me FOREVER to get it right, but I just finished! I love LOTR and perhaps you could let me GM this variant?

Apparently fans of LoTR also enjoy diplomacy (who would have guessed that?) because I've also been working on a LoTR theme since I started creating units and updating the map for another diplo variant. I just finished re-reading the books a few weeks ago so the detail is fresh in my mind and all the concept art by Lee, Howe and the bros Hildebrandt have made it easy to create unique units. However, the map has not been as simple. I didn't realise that there were already other variants but Middle Earth really is a character in the story so I've focused on creating a map that captures that and makes the terrain integral to strategy. I've also tried to make fleets play a more important role than I think they will in the current variants.

Although I had started out with the intention of keeping it true to Diplomacy, I have a close friend who's a Tolkien aficionado and he's given me a several ideas that seem too cool not to include. It would make it more like a Stuff Happens variant (which I normally wouldn't enjoy because I like that the only random event in diplomacy is how the players behave) but I really wouldn't mind getting dislodged from a territory that borders Fangorn because the Ents rose up and gave a +1 to the attacking faction- which is an example of one of the things that's been suggested.

It will be some time before everything is finished because it's a labor of love, so I feel like I have to do it justice, but I have no interest whatsoever in GM'ing it so I will gladly hand it off to you or anyone else that wants to GM. I'm just really looking forward to playing it, which is another reason I'm taking such a painstaking approach to balancing the factions and getting the map just right. I'd like to touch base with you so we can share ideas and maybe come up with a map that includes the best of everything so please drop me a PM if you get some time.

I apologise for temporarily hijacking this thread but it seems like the best place to solicit suggestions for a LoTR variant. Anyone/Everyone- please PM with any ideas you'd like to see included in a community created LoTR variant!

I am not surprised that many Diplomacy fans enjoy LOTR at all.... I think you should pursue your variant. I am a big fan (admittedly not as big as some) of the LOTR and the Hobbit. One of my favorite things to do when I read the books as a kid (and even as an adult) was to look at the amazing maps that Tolkien created to accompany the story. It gave the events so much more life and context and really was a testament to his remarkable creativity. That's why I've always wanted to see a game of Diplomacy on the Middle Earth map and when I found this variant I thought it was balanced enough to make for a really good forum game.

I think there is plenty of room for additional variants in the LOTR genre as they are very popular. I look forward to seeing what you and 986690324 come up with.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: LOTR Middle Earth variant FULL (looking for reserves)

Postby Mouse » 24 Mar 2012, 21:52

I imagine that there are many people that play diplomacy that also like LOTRO, but I think that it isn't really more than the general populous. To me, it is sort of backwards. People that love diplomacy want variants because of the nature of the game works well in any multi-conflict arrangement. So those people that are into creation seek out different "known" possibilities for their "war". They could choose something that is fictional which is more obscure and unknown to the general populous, but people would not relate to it. So the selection of large multiple countries for a new diplomacy variant is actually fairly limited (generally speaking). LOTRO is a known entity. It is about as close to an epic as we get in this day and age. It also has multiple factions. Works well.
Rape, Pillage, and Cheese!
Mouse
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (902)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 24 Mar 2012, 22:14

I think having a game where Mordor is larger and stronger and see if the other races would work together or not (Saurman as well), would be interesting.

Imperial is kinda like this where there are 13 factions and the leader country has like 13 SC to start, while the lowest country has 3
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 24 Mar 2012, 23:58

That would be very fun
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Mouse » 25 Mar 2012, 00:08

You are suggesting a wargame that uses the mechanics of Diplomacy without being a Diplomacy variant. Let me clarify. There have been LOTRO wargames in the past, the most famous being Middle Earth - War of the Rings by SPI. That game was primarily a two-player that had the option of being three player if a person played Saruman. So instead of using dice, you use the diplomacy mechanics with a chance of the alliance screwing it all up if they do not act together. Ok, it would be a fun game, no doubt, but not diplomacy. Diplomacy is a multiple player game where you vie for power, not a two-sided game even if one side is played my multiple people. Anyway, that is simply my view.
Rape, Pillage, and Cheese!
Mouse
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (902)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 25 Mar 2012, 01:02

Well if the one side has many more SC's but they have to work together its still all about the communication. Would you rather knock someone out, or have the extra couple of units up front early.

So like in Imperial its like 14/10/9/8/6/6/5/4/4/4/3/3/3...or something like that for the 13 countries...So I would think of it more like that. Mordor gets 8SC, and the elves get like 5, the Dwarves get like 4, Dunedain 4 (all spread out), Gondor 4, Rohan 3...Saruman 4, Easterlings 3...

Something like that...so Mordor is the biggest to start, but he a little spread out with Moria being harder to defend because its by itself...But obviously Mount Doom being more easier to defend and grow from.

If you have ever seen the board game "War of the Ring", they have like 5 good races and 3 bad races, and they have a similar amount of units, but the good ones are just split more, but nothing stopping the Dwarves from working with Saruman and 3 teaming up on Mordor to knock him down into the pack
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to Middle Earth VIII {All Maps Lost}