LOTR Middle Earth variant FULL (looking for reserves)

8-player scenario based on The Lord of the Rings, desgined by Lew Pulsipher and introduced by Presser84. GM Presser84. Winner: thewysecat (Gondor)

Re: LOTR Middle Earth variant FULL (looking for reserves)

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 23 Mar 2012, 23:11

Im on spring break this week so i could give it a try
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Mouse » 23 Mar 2012, 23:25

Is there a good country to play? It is ironic looking over the map of Middle Earth VIII and thinking, "but they all suck!" Still, that in a way makes it sort of balanced?
Rape, Pillage, and Cheese!
Mouse
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (902)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 23 Mar 2012, 23:56

Mouse wrote:Is there a good country to play? It is ironic looking over the map of Middle Earth VIII and thinking, "but they all suck!" Still, that in a way makes it sort of balanced?

Careful Mouse, if he's doing blind auction...you dont want to talk about what country you want...or you may get booted.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Mouse » 24 Mar 2012, 00:50

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. But still, it is an interesting variant due to the fact that few countries are guaranteed a first year build. Makes it more cut-throat.
Mouse
Premium Member

Postby Mouse » 24 Mar 2012, 00:57

I think it should be a nine player game with one person playing the single supply center of "Dol Guldur".
Mouse
Premium Member

Postby ninjaruler » 24 Mar 2012, 01:00

Mouse wrote:I think it should be a nine player game with one person playing the single supply center of "Dol Guldur".

I think Dol Guldur is apart of Mordor.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (958)

Postby Mouse » 24 Mar 2012, 01:07

It was a sick joke. Imagine if it was a ninth country... single supply center.
Mouse
Premium Member

Postby Freddafred » 24 Mar 2012, 03:02

I will be an EG or reserve.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Freddafred is smart
Italy in Crowded
Carthage in Ancient Med
Barbarians in Haven
Mexico in WW4
Vandals in Barbaria
Spain in Conquest
III3
Italy in Modern
Russia in Stew
Mordor in MEBR
England in 3 turn
USSR in Versailles 3
The Greecians in ECYOC
Zarami in FCYOC
Freddafred

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby VGhost » 24 Mar 2012, 06:28

Alright, reserve works too.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 901

Re: LOTR Middle Earth variant

Postby Glorfindel » 24 Mar 2012, 18:35

986690324 wrote:Dude, I am about to unveil a game exactly like this. I have the map set and everything! It took me FOREVER to get it right, but I just finished! I love LOTR and perhaps you could let me GM this variant?

Apparently fans of LoTR also enjoy diplomacy (who would have guessed that?) because I've also been working on a LoTR theme since I started creating units and updating the map for another diplo variant. I just finished re-reading the books a few weeks ago so the detail is fresh in my mind and all the concept art by Lee, Howe and the bros Hildebrandt have made it easy to create unique units. However, the map has not been as simple. I didn't realise that there were already other variants but Middle Earth really is a character in the story so I've focused on creating a map that captures that and makes the terrain integral to strategy. I've also tried to make fleets play a more important role than I think they will in the current variants.

Although I had started out with the intention of keeping it true to Diplomacy, I have a close friend who's a Tolkien aficionado and he's given me a several ideas that seem too cool not to include. It would make it more like a Stuff Happens variant (which I normally wouldn't enjoy because I like that the only random event in diplomacy is how the players behave) but I really wouldn't mind getting dislodged from a territory that borders Fangorn because the Ents rose up and gave a +1 to the attacking faction- which is an example of one of the things that's been suggested.

It will be some time before everything is finished because it's a labor of love, so I feel like I have to do it justice, but I have no interest whatsoever in GM'ing it so I will gladly hand it off to you or anyone else that wants to GM. I'm just really looking forward to playing it, which is another reason I'm taking such a painstaking approach to balancing the factions and getting the map just right. I'd like to touch base with you so we can share ideas and maybe come up with a map that includes the best of everything so please drop me a PM if you get some time.

I apologise for temporarily hijacking this thread but it seems like the best place to solicit suggestions for a LoTR variant. Anyone/Everyone- please PM with any ideas you'd like to see included in a community created LoTR variant!
"The forces of a powerful ally can be useful and good...but are perilous to those who become dependent on them." --N. Machiavelli, The Prince
Glorfindel

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to Middle Earth VIII {All Maps Lost}