Solos with the fewest units

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Solos with the fewest units

Postby Fatmo » 02 Feb 2012, 03:52

I was looking for a game I was trying to remember in my finished games, and came across another one that caught my interest. In this game (27715), I ended up soloing as Italy. I ended up with 18 centers, but I only had 12 units in the field when I won.

I was wondering who out there has had any other games like this, where you just absolutely steamroll at the end, probably demoralizing a country or two into surrendering or NMRing in the last year or two while you rack up centers faster than you can build new units.

You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Solos with the fewest units

Postby Infidelc » 02 Feb 2012, 04:23

Now I am scared since you are Italy in a game we are playing :P
Infidelc

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1207)
All-game rating: (1242)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Glorfindel » 02 Feb 2012, 04:27

That is impressive! I've finished with 19 centers and 14 units three times, but I doubt I'll ever top 12 units.

You didn't have any destroyed in that last season?
"The forces of a powerful ally can be useful and good...but are perilous to those who become dependent on them." --N. Machiavelli, The Prince
Glorfindel

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sinnybee » 02 Feb 2012, 05:59

Fatmo wrote:I was looking for a game I was trying to remember in my finished games, and came across another one that caught my interest. In this game (27715), I ended up soloing as Italy. I ended up with 18 centers, but I only had 12 units in the field when I won.

I was wondering who out there has had any other games like this, where you just absolutely steamroll at the end, probably demoralizing a country or two into surrendering or NMRing in the last year or two while you rack up centers faster than you can build new units.

I've won two games with 12 units.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Fatmo » 02 Feb 2012, 06:09

Infidelc wrote:Now I am scared since you are Italy in a game we are playing :P

:lol:

Well, the situation is not quite the same in the game you made for us. In this game I showed here, I came in as a surrendered Italy, who was already in a very good position, probably the best on the board, even if it didn't have the most centers. No one was really very talkative in that game, and there was not much diplomacy going on.

I'm actually enjoying the game you and I have just started. I've never played a friends game before, but I like the no-stress thing and we can just play for the sake of playing, like an unranked game. Plus you managed to get people who actually communicate!

So don't worry about me, I'm just poor, defenseless, feeble little Italy. What harm can I possibly do? . . .

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

Fatmo

Postby Fatmo » 02 Feb 2012, 06:39

sinnybee wrote:
Fatmo wrote:I was looking for a game I was trying to remember in my finished games, and came across another one that caught my interest. In this game (27715), I ended up soloing as Italy. I ended up with 18 centers, but I only had 12 units in the field when I won.

I've won two games with 12 units.

I've got to hear about how you got to that position as France. It looks like none of the surviving countries were even attempting to fight you, still squabbling amongst themselves. Or did you pull off some kind of quick stab with a few armies that they couldn't react to? A couple of demoralized surrenders perhaps?

Story Please!

Fatmo

Postby sinnybee » 02 Feb 2012, 07:39

Fatmo wrote:I've got to hear about how you got to that position as France. It looks like none of the surviving countries were even attempting to fight you, still squabbling amongst themselves. Or did you pull off some kind of quick stab with a few armies that they couldn't react to? A couple of demoralized surrenders perhaps?

Story Please!

:)

That game had a lot of drama, especially at the start. I allied with England against Germany. Then, I stabbed England who was wanting Holland and Kiel in return for unneeded support that they had given me against Belgium. The second player for Germany vainly tried to convince me that I needed him and that I should give him back his third home supply center. Russia put up a good fight for a while and was certainly my enemy if not working with England and/or Germany. Italy and I kept our DMZ agreement the whole game. At one point I told him that I would treat him like Germany or England if he broke our DMZ agreement, that it would be unwise for him to bring my wrath upon him or something like that. ;) I kept friendly communication with Austria and Turkey for the whole game and kept I/A/T/R fighting each other.

Except for a few messages at the start and end, here's the shoutbox:

Admin (Spring 1901, Oct 13 2010 13:37 (GMT-7))
bekiaris joined the game as ENGLAND

GERMANY (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 09:20 (GMT-7))
Be aware of France..lying turd...a strong English French Alliance has formed

ENGLAND (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 09:48 (GMT-7))
I had mail with Germany and he never finished our talking... :-(
Now this... He does not tell me what is his problem, he just try to damage my name to the public.

Ok Mr, now you will have what you asked for.

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 10:35 (GMT-7))
1) I sent a message to Germany proposing that we work together and that they take Hol while I take Bel, not mentioning the word alliance or a synonym, before the replacement for England had even joined.

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 10:36 (GMT-7))
2) Though there was plenty of time to respond, Germany didn't do so, so I assumed they wanted to wage war against me and I moved toward them.

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 10:37 (GMT-7))
3) Germany sends me the following message, their first to me, while I had only sent them the one message before England had joined (I didn't alter or shorten this):

"since we are allies, i don't understand why you would not move to spain and portugal. Would it be ok if i take belgium...what's the game plan with italy and england?"

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 10:38 (GMT-7))
...they presumed to be my ally (when they never replied, let alone agreed to the lesser agreement), while asking for Bel (wanting to claim all the benefit of my proposal).

Also, I never lied to you, Germany!

TURKEY (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 13:29 (GMT-7))
soap opera started :))

GERMANY (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 13:57 (GMT-7))
no kidding...........and the quotes.....are they real??...sounds like an interesting alliance

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 16:42 (GMT-7))
LOL! If the quote wasn't real, why would you ask if it was, when instead you could have just denied it?

Do you feel vulnerable now that your character is in question? Now that you're getting a taste of your own accusatory medicine?

FRANCE (Fall 1901, Oct 15 2010 17:20 (GMT-7))
Sorry, I went too far--I don't mean to be rude. I just don't like to be unfairly insulted; you have no one to blame for your loss but yourself, I believe.

Admin (Oct 17 2010 09:33 (GMT-7))
germanyfrance2001 surrendered as GERMANY

ENGLAND (Fall 1902, Oct 18 2010 13:57 (GMT-7))
And just as Germany left, France broke his word. I helped him take bel, so he help me take Hol... but now he say that he didn't help me take Hol because I helped Rusia take Den!!! How would he ever know and why does he care? The point is he gave his word and he never kept his promise! Just be careful with him,he is tricky!

FRANCE (Fall 1902, Oct 18 2010 17:03 (GMT-7))
Omg, here we go again... *sigh*

I've triple checked my messages to you (England). I never broke my word! (I'm a she btw). I suggested that I could support you into Holland and perhaps I even implied that I would do so, but I certainly didn't say that I would do so last turn. Reread my messages to you, especially the most recent one--I'm still willing to support you into Holland!

I mentioned that your supporting Russia to Den was unnecessary because they supported themselves, but I never said that that had anything to do with Holland.

I've been in Diplomacy games where other players have taken advantage of my help without giving back. No more! An alliance or any lesser form thereof should be a two-way deal!

Germany asked for Hol AND Bel without offering anything in return. You asked for Hol AND Kiel without offering anything in return.

I don't want to be allied to players like that. Plus, you turned down my alliance proposal at the very start of this game anyway, so why do you expect me to worship you?

ENGLAND (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 01:15 (GMT-7))
I gave help to you to get Bel, what I receive?
Everybody can understand about your Honesty when you say I give nothing, I gave before I take and I get this letter? Thank you very much.I will discus no more about that. You just try to find excuses.

FRANCE (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 01:32 (GMT-7))
Why can't you just keep this to private messages? I already messaged you "I never even asked you to support me to Bel. I didn't even need your support to take Bel." I broke no promise; I broke no contract; I don't need to make any excuses.

FRANCE (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 01:35 (GMT-7))
You can play the game or you can quit the game, but it's just a game; please stop whining.

TURKEY (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 10:19 (GMT-7))
btw, Russia is one lying bastard...

Admin (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 18:49 (GMT-7))
donbcoleman joined the game as GERMANY

GERMANY (Fall 1902, Oct 19 2010 19:03 (GMT-7))
hey folks, looks like I'm walking into a hornets nest here. Be gentle. ;)

Admin (Oct 23 2010 07:30 (GMT-7))
donbcoleman surrendered as GERMANY

Admin (Fall 1903, Oct 24 2010 14:47 (GMT-7))
ruffi joined the game as GERMANY

Admin (Oct 29 2010 11:18 (GMT-7))
bekiaris surrendered as ENGLAND

Admin (Spring 1905, Oct 31 2010 14:53 (GMT-7))
jonesa40 joined the game as ENGLAND

AUSTRIA (Spring 1906, Nov 05 2010 11:57 (GMT-7))
that's for thinking you and turkey can pick me up you traitor.You refused to move against him now pay
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 02 Feb 2012, 08:07

I don't have any with an exact 18/12 split like you are talking about....but I do have a handful of games with at least a differential of 6 between centers and units.

20 centers with 14 units

22 centers with 16 units

and 23 centers with 17 units
(the red line there is France trying to retreat to an occupied space and failing, before the handy auto-destroy feature was implemented)

And then there's this complete vulture-job where I had 19 centers with just 12 units.

I'm not even going to take credit for it, other than being in the right place at the right time. I think they were doing some stupid pseudo-draw thing, because both had 17 centers when England surrendered. You can even see my first, last, and only set of orders before getting a free 13-point solo.

From that game's public press....

ENGLAND (Fall 1914, Dec 22 2009 08:21 (GMT-6))
I'd like to thank the previous England for vacating such a dominating position. I'll be happy to take the win he didn't want.

Admin (Fall 1914, Dec 22 2009 08:15 (GMT-6))
Rolan+A+Doobie joined the game as ENGLAND

Admin (Fall 1914, Dec 22 2009 02:39 (GMT-6))
Vadde surrendered as ENGLAND
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Infidelc » 02 Feb 2012, 15:46

Fatmo wrote:
Infidelc wrote:Now I am scared since you are Italy in a game we are playing :P

:lol:

Well, the situation is not quite the same in the game you made for us. In this game I showed here, I came in as a surrendered Italy, who was already in a very good position, probably the best on the board, even if it didn't have the most centers. No one was really very talkative in that game, and there was not much diplomacy going on.

I'm actually enjoying the game you and I have just started. I've never played a friends game before, but I like the no-stress thing and we can just play for the sake of playing, like an unranked game. Plus you managed to get people who actually communicate!

So don't worry about me, I'm just poor, defenseless, feeble little Italy. What harm can I possibly do? . . .

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

haha yeah thats the speech I am giving in my game where I have 14 centers as Italy and I am about to gain 3 more. "I'm just a poor defenseless southern neighbor"
Infidelc

Standard rating: (1207)
All-game rating: (1242)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Master Radishes » 09 Feb 2012, 19:45

I felt inadequate, so I went out and also got an 18-centre solo with 12 units.

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... e_id=37617

Of course, I did it in Gunboat, and it's easier when enemies can't coordinate a defense.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1235
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Diplomacy Lore