Support

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Support

Postby Hyakari » 22 May 2008, 14:49

I'm having a little disagreement with my ally.

F Portugal Supports F Spain(sc)
F Spain(sc) Supports F Mid-Atlantic Ocean - Western Mediterranean

Is the Portuguese support valid or not? He says yes, because the fleet in Spain doesn't move, but I think not, as the fleet in Spain doesn't hold.
All war represents a failure of diplomacy. Tony Benn
Hyakari

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Support

Postby Master Radishes » 22 May 2008, 17:38

It is. The fleet in Spain does hold - it's not moving anywhere, is it? - it's just also supporting at the same time.
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Kunclunk » 24 May 2008, 03:07

Master Radishes wrote:It is. The fleet in Spain does hold - it's not moving anywhere, is it? - it's just also supporting at the same time.

I think, the best term do say it is not HOLD. But,

Portugal SUPPORT Spain (SC) in Spain (SC)

As long as the unit in Spain (SC) STAYS in Spain (SC), the support will be valid. The message that we get after we fill in the order for a unit at the bottom left screen is correct. But not in the message tab, because it will show you HOLD.
it's been too long since the last time i went solo
Kunclunk

Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Kunclunk » 24 May 2008, 03:08

Kunclunk wrote:But not in the message tab, because it will show you HOLD.

I mean the ORDERS tab...
it's been too long since the last time i went solo
Kunclunk

Timezone: GMT+8

Postby mdmuff » 24 May 2008, 06:03

Kunclunk wrote:
Master Radishes wrote:It is. The fleet in Spain does hold - it's not moving anywhere, is it? - it's just also supporting at the same time.

I think, the best term do say it is not HOLD. But,

Portugal SUPPORT Spain (SC) in Spain (SC)

As long as the unit in Spain (SC) STAYS in Spain (SC), the support will be valid. The message that we get after we fill in the order for a unit at the bottom left screen is correct. But not in the message tab, because it will show you HOLD.

And the unit in Spain (SC) does not attempt to move from the space. If they move and are bounced, the support order will be invalid. They must either hold position or support another unit's movements for the support to be valid.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Hyakari » 24 May 2008, 10:38

Thank you! So two units can support each other to hold, forcing an attacker to use a combined force of three to dislodge one of them?
Hyakari

Postby Kemsyt » 24 May 2008, 12:08

I know this is someone elses topic, but I am curious. Does the same thing apply to convoying fleets?
Life is cruel lad! Why should the afterlife be any different! Dylan Sofa
Kemsyt

Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Diplomat » 24 May 2008, 13:12

Hyakari, yes, your interunit support scheme is correct, each unit is supported in place forcing the application of a 3v2, in some combination, to force you out. Note that 1 unit of the 3v2 could attack the supporting unit, which then means the attacked space would be taken in a 2v1 action. Got it?
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Diplomat » 24 May 2008, 13:14

Kemsyt,

The same holds with fleets that are convoying. They can be supported in place while they convoy an army, since they don't technically move. This is a good way to make sure the convoy goes forward in hostile waters, since a displacement breaks the convoy.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Hyakari » 24 May 2008, 15:58

Thank you!
Hyakari