How to Paint.NET

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Re: How to Paint.NET

Postby DOI » 28 Oct 2010, 12:42

sroca wrote:
DOI wrote:Any of you know how to make a transparent selection? I'm trying to get Paint.NET to ignore the whitespace around an area I've copied from Paint or Paint.NET, and I can't seem to get it to do it. The workaround is to delete all of the whitespace around the stuff you want, but that takes time.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. If you're just looking to delete everything that's white then use the "Magic Wand" which can select everything of one color and delete it or whatever you need to do to it.

Magic Wand works perfectly. It really is magic! Thx.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Willie900 » 16 Aug 2011, 16:22

how can I get units on to my map if I am creating one?
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby DOI » 16 Aug 2011, 18:40

Willie900 wrote:how can I get units on to my map if I am creating one?

Copy and paste units from elsewhere into a separate "Units" layer.
DOI

Postby Willie900 » 16 Aug 2011, 19:17

DOI wrote:

where's "elsewhere"?
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)

Postby DOI » 16 Aug 2011, 19:23

Willie900 wrote:
DOI wrote:

where's "elsewhere"?

This site, another map, wherever you find units you like. Take a screenshot of them (likely using the "Print Screen" key) and paste it into a separate layer. Then just crop out the bits you want, the units.
DOI

Postby Pedros » 18 Aug 2011, 21:26

Or just find a GM whose units you like and ask them. Pretty friendly lot, us GMs!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 15 Apr 2012, 14:13

Has anybody found - or even looked for and failed to find - a way of producing a drawing of the boundary of a coloured area? paint.net preferred, but I'd settle for GIMP, or anything else that will do the job!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby GhostEcho » 16 Apr 2012, 00:51

Pedros wrote:Has anybody found - or even looked for and failed to find - a way of producing a drawing of the boundary of a coloured area? paint.net preferred, but I'd settle for GIMP, or anything else that will do the job!

I'm not quite sure what you mean, exactly. Could you clarify? It sounds like you are trying to take a province/section of map and cut it down so it's just boundaries but it seems like you could do that fairly simply with cutting/cropping and a white/transparent fill (or color change). So... maybe give an example of what you're starting with and then at least a description of what you're trying to get?
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 982

Postby Pedros » 16 Apr 2012, 08:07

Well. You asked for it!

It comes from dipsy trying to organise the new Milan map. To get the point and click on the different territories he's going to need the outline of each territory separately, and then fit them together (don't ask me why!) So we need to be able to get the outline of every territory (including sea spaces) in separate layers. And we're not wanting to use the original map with its straight lines (which would allow a much easier solution). The colour inside doesn't matter - we can always delete that no problem

Now I know that for one or two I can do that by selecting and erasing, but I'm not going to attempt to do it for however many spaces there are. Cropping doesn't work so far as I can see - it's the border we need, and what would you crop? So the only solution I can see is to crop to the inside of the territory and then get something to draw the boundary automatically. And although once or twice (in Seismic, or preparing maps for other games) I've thought this would be useful, my limited attempts to find a solution withint paint.net haven't come up with anything. But knowing how much experience of graphics programmes there is out there, I just thought I'd ask.

And by the way - I haven't voluteered, and don't intend to, to do the work when/if I get a solution!
Pedros

Previous

Return to Map-making