Stats temporarily disabled / no active games

This is where we inform about development updates.

Stats temporarily disabled / no active games

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Nov 2010, 13:02

Although this point has been made on other threads, since so many people keep asking, it seemed worth having a separate thread for this topic.

Statistics are temporarily disabled at the moment, causing the home page to deny knowledge of rankings or active games. However the games and rankings are all still there, and going to active games will show you your expected games list (although at the moment the server is down anyway). We will reintroduce the statistics as soon as possible. The site has been having some reliability problems due to the database erver coming under excessive stress, and since statistics are a big drain on the database server we have blocked them to reduce the database load while we look for a solution.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Stats temporarily disabled / no active games

Postby DCMorrison » 14 Nov 2010, 13:23

1What happens when the server comes up again? Do existing games restart where they were when server crashed? What happens to turn deadlines? Sorry if these questions are answeredi elsewhere or are common knowledge, but I am newer to this site.
DCMorrison

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Nov 2010, 13:31

A good question. I believe that deadlines are automatically suspended while the server is down but I wouldn't swear to it. As for games that were in process when the crash occurred (that is, where actually trying to adjudicate after the end of a deadline) that is a much more tricky situation. I can zap games back to the state in which they were supposed to be, or repaiir games where something has gone wrong in the adjudication because of the crash, but I am away at the moment and wont be able to do any game zapping untll Monday at the earliest. The process is also very new and rather delicate, so it takes time and is not guaranteed to work, but so far we have successfully rescued most games that have got caught in a crash.

I am reliably informed that I would have more success with the game zapping if I replaced the valves in my time machine with 'transistors', whatever they are.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby detroit_red » 14 Nov 2010, 14:50

super_dipsy wrote:I am reliably informed that I would have more success with the game zapping if I replaced the valves in my time machine with 'transistors', whatever they are.

Whoa, there! You want to go straight from valves to transistors? You're just asking for heartbreak when you rush things like that. I'd personally think that vacuum tubes are likely a less error-prone migration from a valve-based model. Then, once you have a working proof-of-concept, you can try for solid-state electronics. But for God's sake, man--you can't just go slapping transistors on willy-nilly! This is the bloody space-time continuum you're monkeying with here!
detroit_red

All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Nov 2010, 16:08

point taken. I better order some more lemons and copper plates - looks like I might need a bit more power.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby deepstar » 14 Nov 2010, 18:14

But I just got a win and didn't get a chance to see my new ranking. I think it is worth putting the entire site at risk of crashing for me to know whether I am above DOI
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own SC's?
deepstar

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby TheCraw » 14 Nov 2010, 19:09

"No wonder this circuit failed; it says 'Made in Japan'."
~ELB, phD
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby perrytom » 16 Nov 2010, 05:45

any idea when will it be fixed?
perrytom

Class: Diplomat

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Nov 2010, 07:04

I am hoping for today. I was tied up for the last few days, but I am back in action now. We have come up with an idea to reduce the stats load on the server - I just have to implement it so we can see if it does the job.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Nov 2010, 23:21

The changes to reinstate states without blowing the server are tested and ready, but I am going to hold off applying them until Thursday because I am tied up tomorrow and want to be around when they go up, just in case :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Next

Return to Developments