Strategic Maxims

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Strategic Maxims

Postby FloridaMan » 07 Oct 2020, 21:40

Greetings Diplomacy strategy nerds! :geek:

I begin this post with affection. I too am a Diplomacy strategy nerd. Geek? Nerd? Anyway, I am one of you. That's why I created a YouTube channel about Diplomacy, after all.
I'm the geekiest of the Diplomacy geeks, or the nerdiest of the Diplomacy nerds... :ugeek:

What I'm interested in with this post are good ideas for strategic concepts that I can make videos out of. I have lots of ideas already, but I'm very interested in knowing what the PlayDiplomacy community would value seeing discussed on my channel. You can look at my Strategic Maxims playlist if you want to get an idea of what I've been covering already: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... g6OcD1ckGq

It's mostly stuff from The 48 Laws of Power or The Prince, but it's going to gradually represent an increasing proportion of more original ideas that are not sourced from a specific book.

In the spirit of original ideas being discussed: What are some strategic concepts you think don't get enough attention, or are not as widely understood as they should be, that deserve to be more widely discussed in the Dip community?
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!
Or My Diplomacy Blog
Or Patreon

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1671
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Strategic Maxims

Postby Jack007 » 07 Oct 2020, 23:13

It's all about psychology I would say. So maybe that's an interesting field to explore. No?

:?
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby sroca » 08 Oct 2020, 02:27

Mostly replying to say that I like the new avatar. ;)

Are there any that deal with that deal with intelligence concepts? Basically information management. Pushing countries to ally with other countries and trying to set up the wars by handing about information. Or if you're wanting to appear compliant with some move but not wanting it to succeed so you leak information to your enemy about that specific move. Meanwhile you wade through the path of least resistance (least amount of conflict) while other countries battle it out and you silently grow.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1100
All-game rating: 1151

Postby Solar Flare » 08 Oct 2020, 09:12

FloridaMan wrote:What are some strategic concepts you think don't get enough attention

6-way alliances...

You know, the like of which I always try to form when I'm in a game with you...

;)
Solar Flare

Standard rating: 1130
All-game rating: 1162
Timezone: GMT+7

Postby Phlegmatic » 08 Oct 2020, 12:00

Fight on one front at a time with overwhelming force and use diplomatic means to defend your other borders, as per the Schlieffen Plan. https://www.britannica.com/event/Schlieffen-Plan
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1516
All-game rating: 1579
Timezone: GMT

Postby Audacia » 08 Oct 2020, 13:23

Love the new avatar.
Last edited by Audacia on 09 Oct 2020, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

One of the best things that ever happened to me is that I'm a woman.

All of us are stars and we deserve to twinkle.
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000

Postby UM85 » 08 Oct 2020, 22:59

Play the Virgin Queen - Definition. Part 2: "Do not let people drag you into their petty fights and squabbles. Seem interested and supportive, but find a way to remain neutral; let others do the fighting while you stand back, watch and wait. When the fighting parties are good and tired they will be ripe for the picking. You can make it a practice, in fact to stir up quarrels between other people, and then offer to mediate, gaining power as the go between."

An excellent strategy, Audacia. One must be VERY good in correspondence.
UM85

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Big Gun » 09 Oct 2020, 15:07

FM - your new Avatar is splendid and motivating!

As you've hinted already in another place, a series on strategic options for some of the more popular variant maps would be cool. Ancient Med, WitA, Versailles and even Hundred would be obvious choices for this website.

I love your YouTube videos and admire your dedication to the hobby.

Happy to chat on Zoom soon, if you like?

BG
Big Gun
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1492
All-game rating: 2166
Timezone: GMT

Postby FloridaMan » 09 Oct 2020, 18:02

Jack007 wrote:It's all about psychology I would say. So maybe that's an interesting field to explore. No?

:?

I think that's probably true. Anything more specific?
Or My Diplomacy Blog
Or Patreon

"Our blades are sharp."

FloridaMan
Premium Member

Postby FloridaMan » 09 Oct 2020, 18:32

sroca wrote:Mostly replying to say that I like the new avatar. ;)

Are there any that deal with that deal with intelligence concepts? Basically information management. Pushing countries to ally with other countries and trying to set up the wars by handing about information. Or if you're wanting to appear compliant with some move but not wanting it to succeed so you leak information to your enemy about that specific move. Meanwhile you wade through the path of least resistance (least amount of conflict) while other countries battle it out and you silently grow.

I'm glad you enjoy it 8-)

There might be some in Sun Tzu's Art of War, or Robert Greene's 33 Strategies of War. Intelligence is definitely important, and I haven't discussed that at all.
Or My Diplomacy Blog
Or Patreon

"Our blades are sharp."

FloridaMan
Premium Member