New Variant: Dawn of the Enlightenment

Recruitment for and discussion of online Dip games/tournaments that aren't run on the PlayDiplomacy website or as part of the PbF community.

New Variant: Dawn of the Enlightenment

Postby David E. Cohen » 24 Jan 2018, 05:55

Its been a while since I have put a new variant out there, but I have a good excuse. I have been working on this brute! Its huge and has several unusual rules. Dawn of the Enlightenment is a global variant set in 1701, at the beginning of the Great Northern War and the War of the Spanish Succession. It has several Powers with possessions stretching around the world while others are compact, half strength units outside Europe, high seas provinces to foster fluidity on the map, and variable victory criteria so that smaller Powers have a reasonable chance of winning.

It is on a temporary homepage, http://davidecohen.wixsite.com/diplomiscellany, since I am having a bit of trouble editing my main website. Please take a look. I would love to get comments, suggestions and criticism.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: New Variant: Dawn of the Enlightenment

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 24 Jan 2018, 08:36

Really neat looking! I only could see the Americas, but that looks good.

Question. Did I read correctly that half supply centers can support full strength armies equally? In your example you had 2 half supply centers and a full supply center supporting 3 full strength armies...

So what's to stop people from just upgrading and building full strength armies as much as they can?
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1063
All-game rating: 1179
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Big Gun » 24 Jan 2018, 12:59

Love it. I'd like to see the provinces of the powers in their individual colors for better clarity. I would definitely like to play this when you're ready!
Big Gun

Standard rating: (1410)
All-game rating: (2263)
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarkAdder » 24 Jan 2018, 15:05

An incredible map that makes me want to play the game just to explore every inch of it. Two minor suggestions.... the Philippines islands look a bit less realistic here than in RL (Mindanao seems to be missing), whereas so much of the rest of the map is 100% accurate. And as some one married to a Kiwi, since you include almost all of the rest of the world it would be nice to have New Zealand on the map, too.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1208
All-game rating: 1074

Postby David E. Cohen » 24 Jan 2018, 18:56

Don Juan of Austria wrote:Really neat looking! I only could see the Americas, but that looks good.

Question. Did I read correctly that half supply centers can support full strength armies equally? In your example you had 2 half supply centers and a full supply center supporting 3 full strength armies...

So what's to stop people from just upgrading and building full strength armies as much as they can?

Thank you. You need to click the image to magnify the map, then you can scroll around from that specific spot.

You did read that correctly. They need to get those half strength armies to a full strength Supply Center in order to upgrade. Likewise, they can only build full strength units in a full strength Supply Center.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 24 Jan 2018, 18:59

StarkAdder wrote:An incredible map that makes me want to play the game just to explore every inch of it. Two minor suggestions.... the Philippines islands look a bit less realistic here than in RL (Mindanao seems to be missing), whereas so much of the rest of the map is 100% accurate. And as some one married to a Kiwi, since you include almost all of the rest of the world it would be nice to have New Zealand on the map, too.

Thanks for the compliment. Mindanao and every other island which is not a province have been omitted from the map for clarity. The only Philippine Island which is a province is Luzon. Too early for new Zealand to be a province!
David E. Cohen

Postby ColonelApricot » 25 Jan 2018, 04:48

David E. Cohen wrote:
StarkAdder wrote:An incredible map that makes me want to play the game just to explore every inch of it. Two minor suggestions.... the Philippines islands look a bit less realistic here than in RL (Mindanao seems to be missing), whereas so much of the rest of the map is 100% accurate. And as some one married to a Kiwi, since you include almost all of the rest of the world it would be nice to have New Zealand on the map, too.

Thanks for the compliment. Mindanao and every other island which is not a province have been omitted from the map for clarity. The only Philippine Island which is a province is Luzon. Too early for new Zealand to be a province!

Nope. New Zealand was populated as part of the great Polynesian navigation of the Pacific Ocean in the 14th century and hosted probably the most sophisticated Stone Age society ever.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1405
Timezone: GMT

Postby David E. Cohen » 25 Jan 2018, 21:20

I am aware that New Zealand was populated. When I say it is too early for New Zealand to be a province in this variant, I am talking about geographical isolation from the Powers of the day. Heck, I almost didn't include Australia.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 09 Feb 2018, 03:50

I will be running a play by email playtest of this variant, at the comparatively leisurely pace of one game year every two weeks.

If you are interested, email me at zendip18AToptonlineDOTnet. Please include a Power preference list, or let me know you have no preferences. Be warned, I want dedicated players, so if I don't know you, I may require you to provide evidence of your reliability.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 10 Feb 2018, 15:33

Six players signed up so far. Nine slots remaining.
David E. Cohen

Next

Return to Offsite Games & Tournaments