Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III: Game End & AARs

7 player Game of Thrones variant introduced to playdip by Presser84, with updated rules from Aeschines. GMed by Aeschines.

Moderator: Morg

Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III: Game End & AARs

Postby Aeschines » 26 Jan 2019, 20:53

Congratulations to Woolgie - House Stark, Groo - House Martell, and StarkAdder - House Targaryen for their three-way draw!
(They do say the dragon has three heads)

And a big thanks to: Kimpossible - House Greyjoy, AKFD - House Lannister, Pootleflump - House Baratheon, and NoPunin10did - House Tyrell for playing!

I'm eager to hear all of your thoughts on the game. So please post an AAR! I'm also interested in your thoughts on game balance & design!

Final Map:
Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III- Spring 312 AC.png
Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III- Spring 312 AC.png (58.22 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III: Game End & AARs

Postby Woolgie » 26 Jan 2019, 22:11

Yey, hello Valhalla.

Now sign up for Star Wars https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=59178
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 926
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarkAdder » 27 Jan 2019, 00:48

UNLIKE George RR Martin, our noble judge Aeschines has managed to bring this saga to an end!

Congratulations to the noble Lord Groo of House Martell, whose sterling support at the end helped ensure a draw instead of the likely demise of Tyrion (of course, being a dwarf, instead of being drawn and quartered I would have been drawn and eighthed) and to Lord Woolgie of House Stark, who was as stubborn and steadfast as all those northern wolves are, but also equally clever and vicious.

I cannot contribute much to the story, as I entered this saga late when my noble Khaleesi flew off somewhere on one of her dragons, never to return, and as the Hand I was forced to take over. I inherited a great position, with vast fleets and great armies at my command. I proceeded to nearly ruin everything with some ill-timed moves: my fleets ventured far into the frozen north, even the Bay of Seals, before I ordered them back when the Starks and I made a deal that I THOUGHT would endure and turned my attention south. The final demise of the House Barratheon and the sack of King's Landing was made possible by the valour of my Dothraki horsemen and Unsullied spearmen, but after taking the capital and Harrenhall, they grew distracted by the whores of Flea Bottom (the Dothraki, that is) and by whatever distracts eunuchs (other eunuchs?) and failed to advance successully against the slippery Greyjoy armies and, later, the advancing Northmen. Meanwhile, I briefly allied with House Tyrell to help them survive as a buffer between my units and the Dornish forces, as well as the pirate fleets of the Greyjoys...more than anything, I feared the Dornish stiletto in my vulnerable hindquarters (Tyrosh and Myr). That did happen, in response to my shift south, and the Starks then descended on a distracted prey as a wolf does on a wounded sheep. I could have ended up going where whores go, but (praise the Seven!), the wise Lord Groo recognized that House Stark was the greatest threat to solo, and we forged an agreement that allowed me to shift back to the North safely and hold back the Starks and their bannermen and raiders for a while. I lost a few battles, and won a few, while Dorne polished off the last Tyrell petals and the Starks consumed the leftover Greyjoy shells. That left the three of us, and although Dorne could not reach the North easily with my armies and fleets gunking up the passes and straits, at last he got into a position of support and the tide turned again. I am very grateful to (A) still be alive, (B) be part of this draw and (C) retain access to enough wine to keep me drunk forever. Khaleesi, wherever you are now, I hope you feel I served you well.

Tyrion, formerly of House Lannister
Now of House Targaryen

P.S. -- I do believe he perished somewhere in the second or third year of this conflict, but it was also fun holding the pen as Lord Petr Baelish (Littlefinger) at the start of this contest....
StarkAdder

Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1070

Postby StarkAdder » 27 Jan 2019, 01:10

No longer wearing my role playing hat.

Aeschines, I love this game design. I have been part of all three versions of this game so far (as you can tell from my PlayDip user name, I'm a big GoT nerd), and did well in the first until I overstretched and lost; in the second I was swallowed up early; and in this one I came in as a sub and somehow survived. The map is beautiful and accurately depicts Westeros and Essos, with just enough changes to avoid bottlenecks and keep the Diplomacy tactics compelling. You also did a great job gently reminding players (probably only me) when orders were close to being overdue, while keeping to deadlines and updating us well.

I've played three different Houses in DoI&F...Stark, Martell and Targaryen. I think the game favours those three houses over the others, so maybe a tweak can be made to help Tyrell, Greyjoy, Lannister and Barratheon (though the second game saw Barratheon do very well). Lannister seems to be the first House eliminated in most games, although that may just be because they're incestuous prats in the books and TV series and we all want to wipe them out. But it seems Greyjoys and Starks don't fight as much in this game as in the book or TV show, so maybe a tweak or two that gives them more incentive to struggle early on would help the Lannisters survive longer. I'm not sure what can help the Martells survive longer....in the game OR the book OR the show. But having fewer neighbours is certainly an advantage!

The other thing I've seen discussed before is the White Walkers. Hard to work into a game without screwing over the Starks, but perhaps instead of creeping up to and (spoiler alert!) eventually through the Wall, maybe you could add a Chaos element and have one random province each year "attacked" by White Walkers, which could cut a critical support order or cause a bounce. OR you could add a white army that is controlled every turn by a DIFFERENT player, which would drive the Starks crazy, especially if it held two SCs and doubled in size. Not sure how to balance such a change but I love the idea of control of the White Walkers changing among players, as it gives extra incentive for emergency diplomacy...

The other complaint I've seen is the rule about Heirs and their frequent marriages followed by executions. Even male Black Widow Spiders don't have the same mortality rate! As the rules work now, there is little one House can do once their heir has married another and left for the other House's castle, and the host House can execute the heir with no real consequences (and often some advantages). I'd tweak the rule a bit to still allow marriages (and executions), but make it COST a build in the year an heir is replaced, as per current rules, OR in the year your House executes another House's heir. That way you can still do it if you need to create alliance pressure or to eliminate a House on the map that has no reason to keep playing, but you may not want tot do it just for kicks.

All said, Aeschines, thanks for giving us this great game, and to all who have played it with me; those who have role=played along with me and those who have not (and those who are not GoT geeks like me and therefore had no idea half the time what I was talking about). Just like fans of the TV show and books, I can't wait to see more!

StarkAdder
StarkAdder

Postby mgacampbell » 27 Jan 2019, 07:05

First time with the varient; enjoyed it immensely.

I was sad to drop out, but a work commitment trumped play. Happy to see I got out before the going got difficult. Congrats to StarkAdder for salvaging a very difficult position and holding on to a piece of the draw.
mgacampbell
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1511)
All-game rating: (1348)

Postby Groo » 28 Jan 2019, 05:12

GG everyone!

We should have played one more year...I wanted Tyrion to finally get the Casterly Rock.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1621
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarkAdder » 28 Jan 2019, 18:13

Thanks, Groo. I almost achieved my childhood dream, but am happy to console myself in the wine cellars of King's Landing....

Tyrion
StarkAdder

Return to Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III [Game 6]