Feudal diplomacy, part 2

15-player variant starting in 1100 with very different powers rules. Created by his_flyness. GM: his_flyness. Game ended with no resolution.

Re: Feudal diplomacy, part 2

Postby his_flyness » 15 Sep 2009, 04:34

Thanks for all the comments!

DOI wrote:Will there be a visible indicator that a unit is weakened by traitor status? Perhaps black text?

Great idea -- I can definitely do something like that. Also, I HAVE to get a better image editor than paint -- I'm worried the armies aren't too visible as is, but I'll get something worked out, even if it takes new software.

DOI wrote:Also, can the pope lift more than one excommunication at a time? Are the pope's excommunications and the king's declarations separate? I'm imagining a situation where the pope has excommunicated someone. Can the king then reinstate their good standing, or can only the pope do that?

Since the pope can only have 1 person excommunicated at any given time (otherwise he'd be far too powerful!), there can only be a maximum of one excommunication and a maximum of one reinstatement in any given orders. Only the pope can restore a player excommunicated by the pope, and only the relevant king can restore a player labeled a traitor by that king.

lordelindel wrote:2-3 support questions:
If a fleet supports an army to hold does that army have a hold strength of 1.5?
If an excommunicated army supports a normal army to hold is that a hold strength of 1.75?
If an excommunicated fleet supports and excommunicated fleet to hold is that a hold strength of 6/8th?

Right on all three, although you could phrase the last one as 3/4!

raytheruler wrote:I would be interested in playing, but i think the more balanced Standard Diplomacy map would suit it better. Maybe it could be modified instead of this new contraption of yours.
raytheruler wrote:Also, I think you should make an odd number of kingdoms by adding austria hungary.

I did put some care into producing a balanced map, but I am definitely open to the argument that the standard diplo map *might* be better. Any chance people would be willing to give this one a whirl, and if it's a flop, abandon the game and go back to the traditional diplo map?

lordelindel wrote:Personally, i like your new map and i'm very excited to try it. You should definitly put me down as a player.

Thanks!

nickjb3 wrote:I too am in favor of the old map, but I would be willing to give this one a try. Put me down as a player, preferably a lord.

Great!!!

nickjb3 wrote:EDIT: This already has a lot of rules, but I can't resist suggesting another one.

The Lord of Edinburgh (player 1) owns two supply centers, Edinburgh and Norway. The king of England (player 2) declares him a traitor and then subsequently captures Edinburgh, leaving player 1 with only Norway. At this point I think that player 1 should be able to renounce his loyalty to the king of England (player 2) and give it to someone else, say the king of Russia. Now player one is the Lord of Norway not Edinburgh and a Russian vassal.

This edit was from the old thread when we were still planning on using the old board, but I think the concept still applies.

It's a good idea, but I'm afraid it will unbalance the game. One of the sources of balance is that country borders are fixed -- keeps any 1 kingship from dominating the board.

feldspar wrote:I'm a bit confused. Let's say Country A has a lord (Lord 1) who gains a supply center in Country B. So he is now technically a lord of Country B, right? What reason would the king of country B have to not use his traitor power on Lord 1? Lord 1 just stole his supply center! Could somebody explain this to me?

Well, it may be that two lords are fighting, and the king doesn't care who wins. He may even prefer the "foreign lord" (after all, if one of his lords gets too powerful, it could be a big problem for him!). Additionally, it may be in kings' advantage to have as many different lords holding pat of their country as possible. It keeps any 1 lord from becoming too powerful, and allows him to play them off against each other. It also allows a king to influence the decisions made by all the rest of that lord's units!

On the other hand, there may be times when a foreign lord taking a SC in another country is unwelcome. In those cases, a quick labeling of "traitor" is probably in order.
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather
his_flyness

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1214)
All-game rating: (1209)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby feldspar » 15 Sep 2009, 05:42

Oh, I get it now. So the king is really trying to level the playing field (so nobody can compete with him) more than he is trying to promote the lords of his specific country. That's cool. 8-)

One more question though: Could kings (and not just lords) be labeled as traitors if they invaded another country?
"They got squid" -The Maxx
feldspar

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby his_flyness » 15 Sep 2009, 06:05

feldspar wrote:One more question though: Could kings (and not just lords) be labeled as traitors if they invaded another country?

So, being declared a traitor by a king only affects units supplied from within that country. So, if the king of England has territory in France, the king of France could declare him a traitor and weaken those units. Units supplied from England would NOT be affected!

Additionally, the Pope can excommunicate anyone! But he can only have 1 player excommunicated at any time. This affects ALL of a players units, and can affect kings or lords (so, controlling the Papacy is very powerful, which is why it's worth twice as much as being king of England/France/HRE in the victory conditions).
his_flyness

Postby feldspar » 17 Sep 2009, 00:14

Okay, I get it now. It just seemed weird to me that a king of an entirely different country could be labeled as a traitor in a country it was never loyal to in the first place. But it's just I name and I understand now.
"They got squid" -The Maxx
feldspar

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Aeschines » 17 Sep 2009, 06:06

Hey everyone! You should say you want to join and things! Yea... YAY!!!!

Please. :D
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: (1487)
All-game rating: (1639)

Postby phoefloe » 17 Sep 2009, 11:50

I'd like to give this a whirl, looks like a fun kind of confusing. I'm new to the site but I've been playing Diplomacy for a few years.
phoefloe

Timezone: GMT+7

Postby his_flyness » 20 Sep 2009, 19:22

Just a quick update -- I'm worried that the map needs some upgrades to improve its readability, etc. I'm working on it, but don't have a huge amount of time right now. As soon as I get it done, I'll get signups going!
his_flyness

Postby Aeschines » 20 Sep 2009, 21:31

Okay sounds great!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: (1487)
All-game rating: (1639)

Postby Magmaniac » 21 Sep 2009, 07:47

Hey his_flyness, your idea seems pretty cool. I'm too busy right now to play this myself but I will definitely be watching to see how it goes.

In any case, you said you're planning on redoing the map, I can volunteer to do that for you if you'd like. You can check the links in my sig for other maps I've made as references to show my experience. Of course, I understand if you would rather do it yourself. ;)
Magmaniac

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby his_flyness » 21 Sep 2009, 20:52

Magmaniac wrote:Hey his_flyness, your idea seems pretty cool. I'm too busy right now to play this myself but I will definitely be watching to see how it goes.

In any case, you said you're planning on redoing the map, I can volunteer to do that for you if you'd like. You can check the links in my sig for other maps I've made as references to show my experience. Of course, I understand if you would rather do it yourself. ;)

Awesome. I'd actually love help with the map -- right now I'm working in Paint, which is just terrible software. I used to have access to better programs through my old job, but, well, that's where the old part comes in. I'm saving for something better, but programs like that get pricey fast.

Anyway, if you'd be willing to PM me your e-mail, I'll send my map files (I have a bunch of files with only provide outlines, etc) which should make your job easier.

And thanks for your interest -- hopefully enough people feel the way you do so that we can get a game up and running quickly!
his_flyness

PreviousNext

Return to Feudal Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}