Colonial 7: Game End and AARs

7 player variant set in the late 1800s.

Moderator: Morg

Colonial 7: Game End and AARs

Postby GhostEcho » 08 Jun 2018, 23:08

The seventh forum edition of the Colonial variant has wrapped up in the Fall 1881 turn after almost 12 years of play.

Congratulations to Cliff Dancer (Russia), Enlightened Monarch (Japan), and Groo (Holland) for earning a three-way draw. Honorable mention to Don Juan of Austria (Britain) for surviving.

All Players
Britain - Don Juan of Austria - survived
China - Chessplayer - eliminated 1874
France - GPD - eliminated 1880
Holland - palmtaiga (quit) -> Groo - drew
Japan - EnlightenedMonarch - drew
Russia - Cliff Dancer - drew
Turkey - StarkAdder (NMRs) -> Sour Flour - eliminated 1876

Final Position (Spring 1881)
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Colonial 7: Game End and AARs

Postby Groo » 09 Jun 2018, 00:27

Well played everyone and thanks for the game.

Interesting variant really. First thought - I never had so many fleets at my disposal! :shock: :lol:
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1621
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 09 Jun 2018, 06:49

AAR coming eventually. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 09 Jun 2018, 16:46

I'll try to post a proper AAR later. For a couple years there I thought I'd be able to push my way to a solo but oh well. It was a great game and you guys definitely deserved the draw.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)

Postby Cliff Dancer » 11 Jun 2018, 03:56

Thanks a lot for the game guys, and thanks to Ghost Echo for being our leader.

A few general thoughts I had about the map:
1.) It's BIG
2.) Gaining a solo in this variant seems MUCH harder than in regular Diplomacy
3.) The TSR was super cool, and gave me a lot of peace of mind/flexibility

About the early years in the game:
1.) Sorry StarkAdder (Turkey) for the 1872 stab - it was my intention to get you and Britain in conflict in 1871 and then sweep up the peaces in 1872 from the beginning. I think overall, playing Turkey on this map is extremely difficult - possibly the most difficult nation to play since it makes so much sense for Russia/Britain to destroy you early, and there is not much to be done about it.
2.) Chessplayer (China) - for your early game, I can say I didn't really understand what you were trying to go for exactly. You wanted early to focus on fleets, but didn't have a strong plan for making that happen. I sensed a lot of distrust between you and all of the other powers, and seemed to be a bit paranoid everyone was going to gang up on you. I think in this game, you create your own destiny for items like that, and you may have invited some of the trouble by not actually trusting and working with anyone.
3.) Enlightened Monarch (Japan) - I enjoyed our early game discussion. From the very beginning, I wanted to play a strong anti-Japanese opening, as that power made me the most nervous for my longterm security. Based on some very heated and healthy discussion, you were able to change that disposition (I originally had an order to Yellow Sea plugged for Spring 1871 for instance ;)). We had a very profitable early alliance, that you let me get away with more than I deserved - maybe I should have been a little bit more greedy in the midgame thought ;)

About the mid-game:
1.) Groo/GPD (France/Holland) - I am not sure why you two were not able to work together efficiently - it seemed very necessary at the time.
2.) Don Juan (Britain) - My choice of going with Japan instead of you was a hard one, and difficult one (and possibly an incorrect one as well!). But as we got later in the middle game, all of my attempts to repair the relationship fell short - I'm not sure if it was on my end (likely), or partially on yours as well. I think we could have cut Japan down a peg or two if we could have worked it out.
3.) The game went very gunboat in the middle, which I didn't particularly enjoy. The beginning was flying, and the end had a communication uptick, but the middle seemed to be a lot of WW1 strategy of replaying the same battles and strategies over and over again.
4.) Enlightened Monarch (Japan) - well timed stab. And well played.
5.) GPD (France) and others - can we explain why everyone is so paranoid the entire game about France growing? It seems like a lot of nations had a personal vendetta down there that I was never able to dissect.
6.) It was very fun having such a large landmass/army. Very fitting for Russia.

About the end game:
1.) Enlightened Monarch (Japan) - I think you are being optimistic in thinking you can slug away a solo. It would necessitate, in my opinion, very poor play on the survivors parts. We have like a period of 5 game years to put aside our differences and finally start working together. I think when the game was setup, it was something like 35 center to solo (way above half I remember), but looking at an old variant it's only 30. Either way, it's a crazy feat to actually do with team play.
2.) Groo (Holland) - well played weaseling your way into the draw, and I mean that completely affectionately and with respect. You started in a very precarious position and consistently improved it year after year. There were many moves I didn't understand, but I've found often that I'm losing when I don't understand someone else, and they end up winning (thinking on the next level or something).

Overall, I had a great time, and it was a good introduction for me to forum play. I look forward to playing with you all again.

~CliffDancer, Russia
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer

Standard rating: (1390)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby Strategus » 11 Jun 2018, 13:45

Personally, I believe there is a lot of ranking based decision making. To the point where Japan didn't even trust me to king make him. I am getting this in a lot of games, and I can see why the top players play exclusively anon. I am seriously wondering if it is worth continuing to sign up for pbf games, for this reason.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1730

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 11 Jun 2018, 20:34

More later but real quick...
Cliff Dancer wrote::
1.) Enlightened Monarch (Japan) - I think you are being optimistic in thinking you can slug away a solo. It would necessitate, in my opinion, very poor play on the survivors parts. We have like a period of 5 game years to put aside our differences and finally start working together. I think when the game was setup, it was something like 35 center to solo (way above half I remember), but looking at an old variant it's only 30. Either way, it's a crazy feat to actually do with team play.

Yeah I think that's fair. There was a very brief time where I might have managed it but it would've involved me having to totally break through Holland's line which would've been super hard. In general yeah it was an aspirational goal but probably not a realistic one given the board situation.

GPD wrote:Personally, I believe there is a lot of ranking based decision making. To the point where Japan didn't even trust me to king make him. I am getting this in a lot of games, and I can see why the top players play exclusively anon. I am seriously wondering if it is worth continuing to sign up for pbf games, for this reason.

I don't know whether the stuff you're talking about has happened in other games. However, it was definitely not at all a part of why I didn't totally trust to you kingmake. In general, I don't trust anyone to kingmake, ever. No matter their ranking. I am more of a stick with it to the end player (see my lone army doing its best to survive for several years in emergence), which means I don't 100% trust anyone who says they're gonna willingly help eliminate themselves. Especially in this case cause it seemed less like a strategy to get others to change behavior and more just out of spite. But anyways, it had nothing to do with ranking.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)

Return to Colonial 7